• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Web Site for Sam Mason

WillieLee

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let all interested parties know that this site is up and running now, as in full blast!!!

Some recipes, links, photos...

Very cool site.

2317/5000

The site still needs some fine tuning, but it should be revised in the next few days.. (You guys really do your research!)........ P.S. Thanks for all the nice comments in the past.

sam

Couldn't stay on for more than 30 seconds--the music was so annoying!!

In my 30 second tour of your site, I noticed you went to John & Wales. Um, you might want to check your spelling.

Sorry, I'm sure your site is great otherwise.

It is a pretty nice site, but really -- the resizing thing has to go. It ranks up there with the infamous <blink> html tag in terms of annoyance.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Great site. The only 2 suggestions I have are 1) the window re-sizing is terribly frustrating and 2) the rapid-flash images on the splash page are annoying (I tend to dislike ANYTHING on a website that moves, blinks or flashes)

Sherri A. Jackson

His dishes are never overly sweet and thier (sic) presentation is elegant and appealing without being in any way precious.

Had to laugh at that li'l typo. :laugh:

I think you mean precocious, don't you?

I really like the site though. I kinda like the flashy TV thing. For those of you annoyed by the music, you CAN turn it off. Up at the top, where the music credit is given, is a little off button.

Just click. You can turn off the flashy TV too, by clicking "Stop the madness".

His dishes are never overly sweet and thier (sic) presentation is elegant and appealing without being in any way precious.

Had to laugh at that li'l typo. :laugh:

I think you mean precocious, don't you?

Surely precious makes sense...or am I missing something? :wacko:

Surely precious makes sense...or am I missing something?

Within the context of the sentence, "precious" makes no sense at all. I'm certain that "precocious" is the correct word in this case.

Sam?

Hope I'm not being argumentative, but I took it to mean no. 3, but I could be wrong -

pre·cious

Pronunciation: 'pre-sh&s

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French precios, from Latin pretiosus, from pretium price -- more at PRICE

1 : of great value or high price

2 : highly esteemed or cherished

3 : excessively refined : AFFECTED

4 : GREAT, THOROUGHGOING <precious scoundrel>

- pre·cious·ness noun

it in fact is precious. Once again this was supposed to be a test page to work out the revisions, but It was discovered before the launch date of next week. So be as critical as you want, Im still trying to figure this tech stuff out....... Thanks

sam

sam,

your recipes look amazing on the site (once I resized my window again :wink: ) -- I did have a question, where can a layperson find gellan? It appears it is only sold in bulk to food services.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

it in fact is precious.

My apologies! :blush:

I also wasn't aware of meaning number 3. I've always used the word "precious" in regard to meanings 1 and 2, so that's why it made no sense to me in the above sentence.

:laugh: I've also never heard the word "precious" used in reference to a dessert either. I've never had any of my customers say, "Ew! Send this back! It's far too precious!" :laugh:

it in fact is precious.

:laugh: I've also never heard the word "precious" used in reference to a dessert either. I've never had any of my customers say, "Ew! Send this back! It's far too precious!" :laugh:

I've never had someone call my stuff "precious", at least to my face but, I did have someone call one of my desserts "Too abstract" to eat, and sent it back!

Thanks for checking in, Sam, and for being a good sport regarding the "critics" here.

They seem kind of wired today, god forbid someone has to hit the 'mute' key on their keyboard to shut the music off.

Re: Gellan: A lot of times you can get a company to send you some samples, especially if you're a chef, PC, etc.

Give it a try, I know people who got sodium alginate and calcium cholride that way before taking the leap.

2317/5000

Welcome Sam!

My boss Chris Hanmer (who's probably reading this, but too chicken to post :raz: ) said to say 'hi'.

A few comments on the site:

- Love the photos and recipes, but it would be great to be able to read a more detailed description of some of the items beyond the menu blurb.

- The most prominent name/logo on all of the pages past the home page is this d.d.pesh person who apparently did the music. In fact, your name isn't on the sub-pages at all. Is there some reason for this other than an inexerienced web designer?

- In the "latest news" pop-up, the newest item should probably be at the top.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the site is great, I'm almost 60 years old and I was looking at it with the music playing, loved it. Love to see what the young up and coming or already have arrived are doing. Just wonderful!

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com