• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Troncones ?

fierydrunk

going to Troncones in Mexico for my honeymoon in June. it's a small fishing about 30 miles north of Zijuatenejo. anyone been through there before. it's quite tiny but i wondered if there were certain restaurants to avoid or ones to seek out. i know it's a long shot but i thought i'd try. thanks.

Playa Majauha is just north of Troncones. (That's the correct spelling.)

Don Orlando's is a definite 'go'. You can swim on a tranquil, uncrowded beach, lie around in a hammock, have a meal of fresh huachinango (red snapper) for 100 pesos. The scenario gets tourists understandably muttering metaphors about paradise. The restaurant is attended by Orlando's ultra-hospitable wife, Doña Martha. Food and service are excellent and as for the view: a travel writer craving that commission and knowing what the editor wants would describe it as "the kind of idyllic paradise incurable romantics hanker over."

What's new at Mexico Cooks!?

Is it just a restaurant or a hotel also? It sounds fantastic! We will have bikes and plan to ride all over the area and NOT go to Zihua unless we can't help it. How many minutes from Troncones is Majauha (on a bike)?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

we had an amazing meal at the Inn at Manzanillo Bay when out there.. i'm pretty certain they have a website, google them, and their chef came from the California Culinary Institute.. very casual spot, on the beach, feet in the sand, as pretty much all of these places are.. was the best food on the beach a few years ago..

Casa Eden had a nice outdoor grill and wood burning pizza oven that seemed to turn out things a notch above the usual stuff.. more casual than the Inn, although I believe their sunday evening bbq required reservations..

Don't completely write off Zihua if you haven't been.. Kau Kan was one of the nicer meals I've had in Mexico.. it and the .20 peso tacos were the best meal down there..