• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sloppy Joe's in Key West

Susan in FL

The Florida Legislature passed a bill to allow smoking at the Key West location of Sloppy Joe's, based on being in an historic building, without a children's menu, and with sales of food not exceeding 20% of its revenue.

Click here for the newspaper story from the Daytona Beach News-Journal.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

The Mojito was good, and in fact it's the Sloppy Joe's recipe for Mojitos that I routinely use.

susan,

can you share the mojito recipe? I am always interested in tweaking my version !! :wub:

thanks!

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

Gladly... Here's a link for one copy of the recipe. One way I have adapted the directions is to squeeze the lime juice into the glass, then add the sugar and mint, and then crush the sugar and mint with the back of a spoon until sugar is dissolved. I pop the lime halves into the glass after I do that. That way, there is more ease in crushing up the sugar and lime.

Gladly... Here's a link for one copy of the recipe. One way I have adapted the directions is to squeeze the lime juice into the glass, then add the sugar and mint, and then crush the sugar and mint with the back of a spoon until sugar is dissolved.  I pop the lime halves into the glass after I do that.  That way, there is more ease in crushing up the sugar and lime.

But... But...

I always heard that what gives the mojito its special flavor is that you crush/muddle the lime peels, thereby releasing the oils that are in the peels. That's why, I heard anyway, all the recipes say that you are supposed to add the whole lime halves early on in the process.

Not true?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I would imagine that can be true. It makes sense to me. However, I have seen a few Mojito recipes that don't call for adding lime halves, too.

I did it exactly as the recipe states the first couple of times I made Mojitos with the Sloppy Joe's recipe, and didn't notice a difference after making that modification.

Thanks for the post. Interesting!