• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candy Sushi

ejebud

Most impressive! :biggrin:

Because I was in the cake decorating area of catering at one time in my life, and did some stuff for kids' birthday parties, I know how detailed and time consuming this must have been! At that time, there were no gummy fish available so I had to make them out of different colored icings for my "Aquarium Cake" ... :laugh:

Beautiful! What were the reactions to this work of love?? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Those look so cool! Can you post some of the ingredients you used? I can see the gummy fish, fruit rollups, sprinkles? What did you use for "rice"?

I think this will be fun for my grandson's bday party. :hmmm:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Those look so cool! Can you post some of the ingredients you used? I can see the gummy fish, fruit rollups, sprinkles? What did you use for "rice"?

I think this will be fun for my grandson's bday party. :hmmm:

Dejah,

The rice is actually Rice Crispy treats. I made 1 batch which is:

one 10 oz bag of marshmallows

6 cups of Rice Crispies

3 Tbls Butter

Melt butter and Marshmallows

Remove from heat add Rice Crispies and stir to coat well.

I put it on a 1/2 sheetpan with a silpat underneath. then I put another silpat on top and another sheetpan over that. Then (you're gonna love this technique) put it on the floor and walk on it to flatten as thinly as possible :wink:

When it is cool enough, I lay fruit rollups onto the RC treats and cut them out. Unfortunatley, fruit rolls are not perfectly square so I trim them. I spray my butcher block with PAM and use a rolling pin to flatten each square even further and to stretch them out to be closer to real sushi rolls size.

At this point it's just like making the real thing. I use my sushi mat and put Twizzlers, or Gummy worms on the inside. Roll em up and sprinkle different colored non pariels on top to simulate Tobiko.

For the Swedish fish ones, the RC treats are totally pliable and workable. I took what I learned from sitting at the sushi bar and applied it here.

To take it one step further, displaying candy sushi on a bamboo sushi board or in a sushi togo container with candied ginger and perhaps green marzipan would complete the task quite well.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

They look really cool - even better than the versions I've seen that use twinkies. Love the flattening technique for the rk treats!

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

When I first saw this a thought they were made with cake and icing, etc. How creative to use rice crispies and candy, it's perfect! I especially love the "walk on the sheetpan" part.

I am trying to think of an occasion I can make these for- I am totally copying your idea!

Bravo!! Just to solidify my amazement: how long, total, did this take?

From the time I put on the butter for the RC treats to the time I was ready to roll, I'd say about an hour. Then about 30 mins to further flatten and make all the rolls and pieces. 10 minutes to plate up.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Those are cute..I think the pastry chef at Mod in Chicago actually started doing fruit sushi a few years ago. I made some for my daughter's party a few years ago but I made a sweet sticky mango rice and a coconut rice instead of the rice krispie.

Thanks for the directions, ejebud. I have copied and printed. Grandson's bday is the 17th. It may be a good time to try these out!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com