• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican for dinner?

Freckles

Decent Mexican food does not exist in France.  Passing through Toronto and wondering where I can go for dinner to taste some really lovely Mexican food.  Thanks

When I need good mexican in Toronto, I go to New York City. Seriously though, I've always been disapointed with the Mexican when I was living in Toronto. Here's a previous thread on Mole Poblano that has some good suggestions.

Mexitaco at Bloor and Shaw (www.mexitaco.com). IMHO is as good, if not better than Santa Barbara's fabled La Super Rica.

A good friend of mine who grew up in Maccallan Texas, and lived for many years in NYC, swore it was the bext he had outside if the lone star state. Started by two brothers from Mexico City, the food is the "Federale" - or so I gleaned when my frined got into an animated converstaion in Spanich with one of the owners.

So there!

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

mmmmmmm. Those look good. I'm going to have to give it a try next time I'm in Toronto. Now if they could just open a good Mexican place in Kingston. We have Sol Latino, but it's not really great...and it's a bit pricey. The thing that I love most about Mexican food is that it can be flavourful while still being cheap.

Mexitaco at Bloor and Shaw (www.mexitaco.com). IMHO is as good, if not better than Santa Barbara's fabled La Super Rica.

Boy, I've got to say that looks wonderful. What a great menu! Even cochinita pibil. And queso fundido. Almost makes me want to go to Toronto just to try it!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks for the recommendation, I've been by the place a bunch of times, and I always think, 'I should check that out … naww, it's probably just going to be disappointing". Now I will definitely stop by.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Today's NOW Magazine does a little Cinco de Mayo special, and reviews a couple of Toronto Mexican restaurants. They liked Emporio Latino, and a few others that I can't find online at the moment.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Headed to Mexitaco one of my two nights in Toronto. Friendly service but I thought the food and drink (we had burritos, guacamole and chips, sangria) were pretty mediocre. Better luck next time...

Headed to Mexitaco one of my two nights in Toronto.  Friendly service but I thought the food and drink (we had burritos, guacamole and chips, sangria) were pretty mediocre.  Better luck next time...

Hmmm...I've never had the burritos, I just stick with the tacos. Maybe I should have said that in my post. Sorry.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com