• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbara Jo's Books to Cooks

I just whipped down to Granville Island over lunch on the#50 and noticed that Barbara Jo's is moving into the old Edie Hats place in the Netloft on Granville Island. At least I assume she's moving and not opening another store. Yay!

Cheers,

Anne

Actually - it may be another store. I was in Barbara Jo's in yaletown yesterday and overheard her talking to someone about opening another branch.

Good for her. Perhaps one location will be more dedicated to books and the other to the cooking classes. I could see why she would want a larger space for cooking classes - they are popular and (my guess) provide her with most of her profits.

I buy alot of my cookbooks there - but I am noticing that Book Warehouse stocks many of the same books at a much lower price. Oh the conumdrum of which local cause to support.

I just whipped down to Granville Island over lunch on the#50 and noticed that Barbara Jo's is moving into the old Edie Hats place in the Netloft on Granville Island.  At least I assume she's moving and not opening another store.  Yay!

Here's the poop on Barbara-jo's various moves:

1. Barbara-jo will open a satellite 300-square foot culinary book store (no kitchen) in the Net Loft space on June 1st.

2. In late summer, probably around Labour Day, she'll be moving her main Yaletown store, complete with kitchen, to 1740 West 2nd Avenue into a delightful, high-ceilinged space that she was able to purchase. The new store will be next door to Les Amis du Fromage and just down the block from Patisserie LeBeau, completing a nifty culinary trifecta.

Cheers,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Oh Oh. My wallet is going to take a beating.

You should petition Barbara Jo not to allow cheese sandwiches in the store to cut down on the financial drain. This is so potentailly bad for me, eating cheese, nice bread and pastries and reading cook books. What an un-holy alliance.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

You should petition Barbara Jo not to allow cheese sandwiches in the store to cut down on the financial drain. This is so potentailly bad for me, eating cheese, nice bread and pastries and reading cook books. What an un-holy alliance.

How about an HSG satellite location right in the middle of the action?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Is that not the four hoursemen of the Armageddon ? Cheese, Meat, bread and cookbooks ? I recall something like that from the Holy Scriptures.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Is that not the four hoursemen of the Armageddon ? Cheese, Meat, bread and cookbooks ? I recall something like that from the Holy Scriptures.

Put a well-stocked liquor store there and I'd never have to leave West 2nd for the rest of my life! :laugh:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

2. In late summer, probably around Labour Day, she'll be moving her main Yaletown store, complete with kitchen, to 1740 West 2nd Avenue into a delightful, high-ceilinged space that she was able to purchase.

Any idea who's doing her kitchen Jamie? Her Yaletown location used cabinets from her neighbours at Showcase. On W 2nd she'll be near the Redl showroom. As she hasn't come to see me, I have to speculate Redl got the job.

A.

2. In late summer, probably around Labour Day, she'll be moving her main Yaletown store, complete with kitchen, to 1740 West 2nd Avenue into a delightful, high-ceilinged space that she was able to purchase.

Any idea who's doing her kitchen Jamie? Her Yaletown location used cabinets from her neighbours at Showcase. On W 2nd she'll be near the Redl showroom. As she hasn't come to see me, I have to speculate Redl got the job.

A.

I understand that her interior designer is recycling and updating wherever possible, although the new space is larger and won't be subject to the chokepoint associated with the current kitchen.

More books=more cheese sandwich opportunities.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

• 1 year later...

As I walked by Barbara Jo's (W. 2nd) on the way to Les Amis du Fromage I noticed a sign in the window that stated "all French and Italian cookbooks 25% off Sunday only" - Sunday being World Cup final day of course. I can only assume that this applies to the Granville Island location as well. Good hunting!

• 2 months later...

Looks like I'm the cookbook hound around here!

BBJ's has changed the dates of her annual cookbook sale (usually after Christmas). It now starts Sept. 13 - 17 at both locations and everything in the store is at least 25% off.

I've notice a nice drop in new cookbook prices as well lately (at her place) as people like Barbara Jo fight with the suppliers to get pricing much more in line with the relation of our dollar to the U.S.