• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Malaysian Cuisine

I did a quick search on the web for Malaysian cuisine and found this. On the home page is an article about bibimbap. I had to laugh a bit given the number of Korean food topics in this forum lately.

Does anyone have a recipe for Soto Ayam (a type of chicken soup?) and rendang (beef or chicken)?

Here's a soto ayam recipe from "The Malaysian Cookbook 2" that my mom sent me:

Main ingredients:

1/2 a chicken cut into 4 pieces

1 onion, sliced

1 stalk of lemongrass (crushed)

1 inch piece galangal (crushed)

3 dried salam leaves (indonesian bay leaf..I guess reg bay leaf should do too?)

1/4 tsp MSG

4 bowls of water (not a precise measurement....but hope you can figure it out. The book's from the 70s! :D)

5 Tbs cooking oil

salt to taste

Pounded ingredients:

8 shallots (the small asian variety)

4 cloves garlic

3/4-inch piece turmeric

3/4 tsp pepper

3/4 tsp cumin seeds

3/4 tsp fennel seeds

3/4Tbs coriander seeds

Other Ingredients:

1 1/3 lb rice made into lontong (I found a recipe for lontong here)

1/2 lb beansprouts (tails removed and parboiled)

3 stalks of spring onions (shredded)

3 stalks celery (shredded)

3 oz fried shallots (books sez: finely sliced and fried till golden brown, for garnish I think)

4 meat or prawn cutlets (optional)

Sambal: Small chilies (the small Thai ones) pounded coarsely and mixed with black soy sauce, vinegar and sugar to taste.

Instructions:

1. Heat oil in a big pot. When hot enough, fry onions untill golden brown.

2. Add pounded ingredients and fry untill fragrant.

3. Add water, lemongrass, galangal and salam leaves.

4. Cook until it comes to a boil. Put in chicken, salt and MSG. Simmer over medium heat until chicken is tender.

5. Remove chicken pieces , shred and set aside. Bring soup to a boil again then remove from heat.

6. To serve, use medium-sized bowls. Put in a few pieces of the lontong, beansprouts, chicken meat or a piece of cutlet to each bowl.

7. Pour enough soup to cover the ingredients. Garnish with celery, spring onions and fried onions.

8. Serve hot with sambal to taste.

That's it.

Sounds fantastic.

I want to make it this week, along with acar kuning pickles. I will post photos.

The spice mixture in the pounded ingredients is exactly what we have home for Algerian cooking. It's my husband's favorite quatres epices blends.

Here's the recipe for rendang from the Malaysian Cookbook 1:

1 1/2 lbs of beef (cut into large pieces)

*1 1/2 coconut (grated)

*water

4 Tbs Oil

Salt to taste

juice of 1 lime

Pounded Ingredients:

10 dried chilies

10 black peppercorns

1/2 thumbsized piece ginger

1/2 thumbsized piece of turmeric

5 cloves garlic

10 asian shallots

4 stalks lemongrass

4 candlenuts (I sub candlenuts with macadamia becuz I cant find it in Toronto)

*1. Squeeze 1 cup of thick coconut milk. Add enough water to squeeze 4 more cups of thin coconut milk. (They ask you to make your own thick and thin coconut milk in the recipe. I guess coconut cream and milk would do? Not very good with this kinda measurement conversions.)

2. Heat oil in wok over slow heat until slightly smoking. Put in pounded ingredients and fry until fragrant.

3. Add the meat, season with salt and fry for another 2 to 3 minutes.

4. Add thin coconut milk a little at a time and wai for the liquid to be absorbed before adding more. Cook until the meat becomes tender.

5. Put in the thick coconut milk. Simmer until curry is quite dry. Stir constantly and do not allow to boil after the addition of thick coconut milk.

6. Add lime juice and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.

7. Plate and serve.

Why?!?!?1  :huh:

If you leave th Koreans will take over this forum again. Well one in particular will try.  :laugh:

:laugh:

rendang thread

To me, the recipe posted here isn't rendang. It sounds a lot like a dish called 'masak kuali'. But perhaps if one adds kerisik to it, it could become rendang. I don't care what the Malaysian cookbook says, it's just not 'authentic' rendang. :raz: Although it could be a delicious dish. Just not rendang. :wacko::laugh:

Soto Ayam is a Johor dish. I'd post my Moms recipe if you're interested.

Indonesians have Soto Ayam too, but it is a little diferent. I think Singapore's Soto Ayam is somewhat like Indonesians.

Johor's Soto Ayam's soup is a clear soup. And no lemongrass, galangal or salam leaves.

kew! Timely posting of the rendang thread - it was the first thing that cmae to my mind when i saw this thread - and also i was looking to bump that today but i won't.

I actually found rendang paste at my local Farmer's market and made it yesterday along with some steamed coconut rice.

I haven't tasted it yet, since i wanted the flavors to meld - but we'll see this evening.