• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Neo sushi on UWS

Dryden

Walked by this place a few days ago and was thinking of checking it out... anyone been? Or, any better sushi suggestions in the west 80's-90's?

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Walked by this place a few days ago and was thinking of checking it out...  anyone been?  Or, any better sushi suggestions in the west 80's-90's?

When it first opened. Thought it was expensive for what it is. I think everything is still ala carte, at premium prices. Don't know about current qualtity, it doesn't get much buzz.

I went once for take out. Saw a roll on the menu for $17.00 and selected it even though I thought it was expensive, I thought it must be a very large roll. No, it wasn't, but it was damn good. I just can't justify the prices at Neo, so I haven't returned.

Emma Peel

Maybe I just went on a bad night, but my impression of Neo is that it was a Nobu wannabe that can't execute their versions of the dishes (like the Black Cod with Miso, for example) on the same level. My girlfriend thought their spicy tuna roll was among the best she had ever had, but that was pretty much the only accolade either of us could scrape up for the food.

Despite all this, their price point is comparable to Nobu's (maybe a shade lower). I dunno about you, but for $150, I would expect an experience, not a neighborhood sushi joint.

Lastly, the service was subpar - our waitress could not understand a lick of English, it seemed. We asked for a spoon and she gave us this quizzical look. When she went away, I laughed, looked my girlfriend in the eye and said, "Neo - there is no spoon".

Alternatives you might try - Gari?

Edited by Jammin (log)

Thank you all for the uniformity of your responses.

Anyone have a sushi place on the UWS (doesn't have to be "high-end", whatever that means) that they recommend?

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

I like Kitaro on Amsterdam between 84 and 85. Try to get Richard as your waiter - he's fabulous.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Thanks for the heads up on West Side sushi places. I don't go to the West side often but when I do its nice to know a good sushi place. I've heard of Sushi of Gari but never been.

Chris, I would have been surprised at a $200 tab. Do you think the experience was worth it?

• 7 months later...

I went to Neo last night for the first time in a few years.. I am glad to see it has lost a lot of its pretensiousness.. Which actually made the experience a lot better..I still think they have problems seating people.. With open tables, the hostess was putting people on top of each other.. Luckily, we remained pretty secluded..

Dinner was 200 bucks with four drinks, a couple appetizers, and not many pieces of sushi.. The fish is of very high quality.. The plate presentation is really pretty as well. It just struck me all as very boring however.. The Tamago has the least taste out of any I have ever ordered.. Created my own roll there.. Got a lobster roll with avocado and Tobiko..

I would go back, just cause its close. The cooked food looks a little more interesting.. Has anyone had the tasting menu there? Is it more of a value then ordering pieces..