• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kdl1221

kdl1221

Ok, well my uncle said that the mini pecan pies held up great... and those went fast.. his friends are learning to hang around when he opens packages from me :biggrin:

I also sent brownies.. he said they were great, but I am not so sure. I made the Audrey Hepburn brownies, which I wasn't fond of to begin with. I have another brownie recipe that was much better and I was only able to send a couple of those, so it is likely he was refering to the chewey ones over the Hepburn ones.

I also slipped in a couple little bottles of Jack, Smirnoff, and some other little samples. Nothing that had high enough alcohol to explode, or glass bottles. (Both of which the p.o. with question you about.) Plastic 80% proof they don't care :wink:

I am debating what to send next. Mu uncle said sometimes children come to the gate where he is asking for chocolate. I would attempt to send some, even if it did melt, except he is leaving that camp and going elsewhere. He has given some cookies I have sent to them though, and they were very very happy.

The pecan pies I made had a simple almond flavored crust, and then the typical pie filling with finely chopped pecans and corn syrup mixture.

I dug out a cookie book I have that says which ones are good for mailing. There are chocolate toffee brownies which might be a good change along with some sort of fruit bar. I haven't found a good mailing one with fruit just yet though, so I am open to recipe offers.

This package I mailed Friday July 22nd, and he received it Aug 1st, Monday.

It will take the mail a few more days the next package he receives since he will be on the other side of the country from the mail center (which is right where he is now).

Kim