• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kdl1221

kdl1221

My husband is back over there, again, and so this time I get to try a whole assortment of things. I am about to send off some pumpkin bread to see how that goes. Current Kuwait temp is around 110, so chocolate that can melt... will probably do just that. I have had best luck with the pecan tarts, peanut butter cookies, and shortbread cookies. However, getting a true and honest answer on quality from a soldier over there is hard, because they are just so thankful to have anything. I will let you know how the pumpkin bread goes. Current time to Kuwait I get has been 7/8 days. Zip lock bags do horrible things to cookies... it absorbs the plastic taste.. yuck!

(I had a bunch more typed out but my post got messed up and the rest got deleted and I don't remember eveything I said!!!)

Ok, for brownies. I had sent (and saved here to test) Julia Childs Best Bronwie recipe and also the Greenwich Brownie recipe. I packed them in 4x4" and instructed to remove about an inch around the edge which brought the size from 16 sq in to 9 sq in. The Greenwich Brownie did AWESOME where as Julia Childs was icky. Very stale and dry.

If my husband is in country to get his mail, I should have the results of the pumpkin bread around Nov 7/8.

Thank you ALL for taking your time to send things to the soldiers. I don't think any of us can understand just how much it means to them.

Oh, and if you want any recipes I can dig them up for you.