• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arugula based salads

SBonner

I'm a huge fan of arugula "rocket" and I'm just waiting for some seeds from a friend in the U.K. so I can start growing the European strain (smaller leaf, more peppery). I'm curious to your favourite salad (chef, restaurant, and dressing)utilising this delightful green.

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I lived and worked in your fair city from 95 to 99 and we used Gianni's arugula.

He was an older retired man who used to grow it himself and deliver buckets of beautiful arugula (huge, frilly leaves) in pails of water to the restaurant. Is anyone there using it? Is it still around?

This is pretty boring, I know; but, I like it so much, I seldom make anything else.

Marinate half a pint of halved cherry tomatoes in basic homemade salad dressing (dijon mustard, garlic, lemon, thyme, olive oil). Just before serving toss rocket and basil chiffonade with dressing and tomatoes. Spoon onto cold plates.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Chef Garrett Schack at the Temple restaurant, in Victoria, does a local Organic Arugula Salad - with blue cheese, apples & candied walnuts. My current favorite.

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

A Pat Wells salad: arugula dressed in lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil garnished with pitted black olives, crisp-broiled thin slices of pancetta and shavings of parmesan.

For an amazing synergy of flavours, serve undressed or lightly dressed arugula (micro is best) alongside a gorgonzola soufflé.

Got this from Nigella Lawson - very similiar to the Pat Wells method above. Dressed very simply with lemon juice and very good extra virgin olive oil - trying not to overdress. Salt and Pepper with shavings of parmesaen. Kind of cliche - but really simple and fresh.

Great as an accompaniment to grilled steaks.

I like it with just walnuts, shavings of aged Gouda and a basic vinaigrette, J.C.'s basic vinaigrette that is , only 3 to 1 for the oil and vinegar.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Arugula is a staple at our house and I'm a fan of very good fruity evoo, juice of a lemon and raw garlic...

...but I'm afraid mere mention of arugula/rocket propels me to plug shamelessly Gremolata's infamous "Arugula vs. Rocket Poll" and commentary thereon by eGulleters Farmer Dave and Paula Wolfert.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

my all time favorite is on a bed of arugula (or rocket, I always thought they were the same), layer some smoked beef tenderloin (avail in Vancouver at JN&Z on Commercial) with a few extremely thin slices of red onion and shavings or parmegian. Drizzle with balsamic vinegarette or just aged balsamico and some good EVOO.

Lee, are you sure I can't book a table now for DOV in 2006!

A great salad from Alice Waters:

Blood orange/sherry vinegar vinaigrette with roasted beets, toasted walnuts and blood orange sections.

The flavors contrast very nicely with the rocket, :smile: err.. arugula

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I haven't tried this yet, but am very intrigued by this recipe from Paula Wolfert that carswell just reminded me of on another thread: click

As mentioned, Wolfert describes this as a salad to serve with an olive-oil poached salmon. One of many good recipes to try in her book, Slow Mediterranean Kitchen.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

One of my standard salads is arugula and shaved fennel tossed with a citrus vinaigrette--I like fresh orange juice with a little orange zest. light but falvorful. It also makes a nice bed for cold grilled seafod or sliced meat if you want a more substantial course or main course salad.

• 1 year later...

I had an interesting arugula salad that a friend made recently.

The salad used a lemon vinagrette and arugula with the addition of cubed feta and cubed watermelon. I'm not sure if there was some finely sliced red onion in there as well. It was very nice. The contrasting texture and slight sweetness of the watermelon adds a nice element to the salty feta and bitter greens.

great, fresh arugula, shaved Parm, the best olive oil your budget allows, your favorite acid/vinegar (I like grapefruit juice in season, but it's not terribly sour, so I typically add another to boost it)

c'est tout

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Arugula is best when picked at infancy.

That being said, to showcase the ingredient, a very simple dressing is needed.

The best EVOO you can get, young, fresh garlic if available, lemon juice, and S&P.

Some fresh cherry tomatoes pair very nicely with this as well.

Edited to add - -

I nearly forgot!!! As it is nearing the end of the season, we made our other favourite Arugula 'salad' the other night as apart of my grandmothers bday party.

Take your arugula and give it a few rough chops - Mince some garlic - Fry arugula in good EVOO on high heat very quickly, at the end add garlic - - Place on top of freshly sliced (heirloom preferably!) tomatoes, and enjoy.

The contrast of flavours and temperatures is amazing.

Edited by sadistick (log)

arugula goes very well with watercress - Nicks' Pizzeria in Forest Hills serves a classic salad with a honey mustard vinaigrette (more of a viniaigrette with a touch of sweetness) with arugula watercress, roasted peppers & sundried tomato. Yumm

We use arugula on sandwiches alot - like filet mignon, arugula and sundried tomato balsamic & parmesan tapenade.

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

I make an arugula salad with a dressing of pomegranate molasses (soured with lemon if necessary, some brands are a bit sweet), olive oil, and lots of chopped mint, and some fresh ground pepper. Sprinkle with walnuts, grated parmesian and some raisins. Good stuff.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria