• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

South Mountain Creamery - Home Delivery

I just got my first home delivery from South Mountain Creamery:

http://www.southmountaincreamery.com/

and overall, I'm very satisfied. It was a small first order but it all seems good and I love the idea of getting a delivery from a local dairy! But... I'm a big fan of plain yogurt in all its earthy sourness so, imagine my surprise when I popped open my yogurt and discovered it was sweetened! Does anybody else consider this VERY odd for "plain" yogurt? (My wife says the fruit yogurt seemed really sweet as well, but I generally feel that way about all fruit yogurt.)

"If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?"

The yogurt was sweetened, or it tasted sweet somehow? I'm confused. I like yogurt almost exclusively as a savory condiment--like a raita or a tzatziki--so a sweetened "plain" yogurt would be aggravating for me.

Also, I'm curious: what exactly did you order from them?

It was definitely SWEETENED. I also prefer yogurt as a savory condiment. While I love sour cream I'll often use yogurt in its place on baked potatoes, tacos, etc. The stuff from SMC would not work for that, it would be like putting frosting on a steak.

I ordered:

whole cream-top milk

plain yogurt

fruit yogurt

free range eggs

scrapple

I think that's it. I want to start getting more of my dairy from them, but I need to use of what's already in the fridge. Also, most of their prices are pretty competitive, but the cheese is kind of pricey compared to what I get at the supermarket. It's probably better, though.

You should tell them that you would prefer yougurt that is less sweet and not sweetened with high fructose corn syrup or any other kind of corn syrup or dextrose which it is now.

They need to hear that from the customers because they are contemplating a change in the recipe.

So, do call and tell them or leave a note with your empty bottles.

You should tell them that you would prefer yougurt that is less sweet and  not sweetened with high fructose corn syrup or any other kind of corn syrup or dextrose which it is now.

They need to hear that from the customers because they are contemplating a change in the recipe. 

So, do call and tell them or leave a note with your empty bottles.

I emailed them before I even posted here. :smile: