• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ramps are here!

I got my first ramps today! Will serve them tonight with Chicken Confit and Cane Syrup & Mustard Vinaigrette. Never understood their ferocious reputation because once they are gently poached in a little water then finished in butter (or in my case, duck fat!) they are quite sweet and delicious. If one were to eat them raw, however, I am certain that the diner would reek like a leek.

Will try to pick some myself this Monday near Asheville.

Anyone else cooking ramps ?

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

Anyone else cooking ramps ?

I do .. and I found some in my local Buford Highway Oriental Farmers' Market last week... much pleasure at seeing this springtime treat!

I have used them scrambled with eggs or fried with potatoes .. I sometimes use them raw or cooked in any recipe that calls for scallions or leeks and, because ramps aren't available for long, I sometimes chop and freeze them in air-tight containers for cooked dishes.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

aticle from the Washington Post on this topic

NANTAHALA NATIONAL FOREST, N.C. -- Beginning next year, civic groups that pick wild ramps for spring festivals will have to abide by new U.S. Forest Service rules.  The reason: The government worries that big digs of the wild leek are straining natural populations. So new rules will go into effect, telling groups where and how to pick the plants and forcing them to pay 50 cents a pound for what they take ...  Mountain people in North Carolina still hike miles to pick enough ramps -- which taste like a cross between garlic and scallions -- for special suppers during the four weeks or so that the plants show themselves each spring.

As The Cynical Chef himself reported earlier in this post:

Will try to pick some myself this Monday near Asheville.

Has anyone else in the southeast collected ramps in this very short season? :rolleyes:

I was surprised to find them on my morning run through the woods (in the wilds of Morris County, NJ). We harvested a few pounds over the weekend, then noticed them on our own property.

Corinne

• 9 months later...

Bump. Ramp season is nigh upon us, and for those interested in travel and dining, here are some offerings for upcoming ramp festivals in West Virginia.

Pickens Ramp Dinner

Pickens Ramp Festival is held in Pickens, WV on April 15, 2006 from 3pm to 8pm.

In the town of Pickens, WV 26230.

Upper West Fork Community Park & Fire Dept. Ramp Dinner

The 37th Annual Ramp Dinner at the Upper West Fork Park, in Chloe, West Virginia (Calhoun County) will be held on April 15, 2006.

Food serving begins at 4:00pm.

"MORE FOOD THAN YOU CAN SHAKE A SPOON AT"

Prices: Adults, $8; Children age 8 and under, $3.50.

Feast of the Ramson (Ramp Festival)

You are cordially invited to attend the National Ramp Association's 68th Anniversary of the Feast of the Ramson at Richwood High School on April 22, 2006 from 11:00am to 4:00pm.

Our Menu for the day includes Ramps, ham, bacon, potatoes, brown beans, cornbread and desserts.

Adults, $10.00; Children (12 & under), $5.00

Belington Presbyterian Church Ramp Dinner

Belington Presbyterian Church Ramp Dinner

DATE: April 22nd, 2006; TIME: 11am to 5pm

Cost: $6; Menu: Ramps, ham, brown or white beans, fried potatoes, cornbread, beverage and dessert.

International Ramp Festival & Cook-Off

$1,000 Prize cooking contest, taste testing, entertainment, crafts, ramp food vendors and a traditional ramp dinner. Free admission

LOCATION: Elkins City Park *Always held the last Saturday in April

Helvetia Ramp Dinner

The menu for this years annual ramp festival is ramps and fried potatoes, ham, white beans and cornbread, coleslaw, applesause, desserts and a drink.

April 29, 2006

The cost is $10.00 for adults and $5.00 for children 5-12. Children under 5 eat free.

Ramp Dinner at Bomont (H.E. White Elementary)

This annual event features delicious home cooked foods.

May 7, 2006; Time: 11:00am to 3:00pm

EVERYONE IS WELCOME!!!

Springfield Annual Ramp Dinner

DATE: May 7, 2006

TIME: 11:30am to 5pm; COST: $7

Please call to confirm time and date.

Darcie, will you be attending any of these ramp events? I would like to go to at least one this year, but it all depends on when my son is born and how soon thereafter we're up for a car trip. Now that I live in West Virginia, I feel duty-bound to explore the world of ramps!

• 3 weeks later...
Darcie, will you be attending any of these ramp events? I would like to go to at least one this year, but it all depends on when my son is born and how soon thereafter we're up for a car trip. Now that I live in West Virginia, I feel duty-bound to explore the world of ramps!

Rochelle, first, sorry to hear about your arm. I hope it heals quickly.

I probably won't go to any of these events because there are some closer to Charleston that don't get published. I find out about them by the banners at intersections. The local fire departments usually have ramp dinners as fundraisers, and I sometimes go to one of those.

The one I would recommend is the one in Helvetia. If I hadn't already planned a trip to Texas that weekend, I would definitely go there. Helvetia is a very quaint little town with the feel of a Swiss Alpine village (apparently lots of German immigrants settled there). It has a couple of decent restaurants, one of which is known for its weekend breakfasts.

When ramps come into season here I'll PM you and send you some if you aren't able to make it out. The farmer's market here carries them and I usually buy some for a taters and ramps fry. You're invited!

• 1 month later...

Out of the Winter and Into the Weeds ...NYT

Ramps require some work, too. She tames them with a quick pickling, then slips them into dishes such as risotto seasoned with tasso. Ramps are particularly good moneymakers; she will sell them for as much as $20 a pound.

About 40 urban chefs and ramp enthusiasts love them so much that this year they made their way ... On May 8 the ramps will be included in a four-course, $125 dinner at Timo Restaurant in Chicago. Ramps are the biggest single source of income for the farm. Four weeks of digging up 3,700 pounds brought in $29,600 this year.

Recipe: Ramps and Potato Soup :wink:

• 1 year later...

Yeah Baby!

I am gonna get my fill of ramps this year. Will hit the Asheville Farmers Market in about 3 weeks and load up.

Pickled, sauteed, tempura fried.....

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"