• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pies and regional food w/i 2 hours of MSP

My wife and I will be in the Twin Cities for a long weekend in July. We are interested in experiencing pie havens, as well as regional food. We have some recommendations in MSP itself but are prepared to drive up to 3 hours in any direction for exceptional food. Where to eat? All suggestions very much appreciated.

It's exactly 3 hours south of the Twin Cities. Take HW 52 South to Rochester. Pick up Highway 63 South out of Rochester. As you enter Waterloo, Iowa, look for Katies Maid Rites on the left hand side of the Highway. Its a singular building sitting like in a Supermarket parking lot, near the frontage road, almost next to a McDonald's which you will actually want to pass by.

Best Maid Rites and Cole Slaw I have ever eaten anywhere.

Maid Rites should qualify as Regional Food. Don't find them much outside Illinois and Iowa.

doc

Betty's Pies is not longer the Betty's Pies of the past. Don't waste your time. If you want to head three hours north of MSP, there are better places. Do you want to head north or south?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Betty's Pies is not longer the Betty's Pies of the past.  Don't waste your time.  If you want to head three hours north of MSP, there are better places.  Do you want to head north or south?

I'm not the original poster, but when I head to MSP this summer I'll be coming from North...and I love a good pie! What are your suggestions?

Betty's Pies is not longer the Betty's Pies of the past.  Don't waste your time.  If you want to head three hours north of MSP, there are better places.  Do you want to head north or south?

We can travel in any direction you point us so long as there is good pie, or regional food, at the end of the journey.

PS Snowangel I would be remiss if I did not thank you for all of your other informative posts on the Heartland.

For the regional cuisine part of your trip, make sure you catch some of these places!

Farmers:

Rock Spring Farm

Chris and Kim Blanchard, family, and friends

3765 Highlandville Rd.

Spring Grove, MN 55974

www.rsfarm.com

Restaurants & Markets:

Restaurant Alma

528 University Ave SE

Minneapolis, MN 55414

www.restaurantalma.com

The Angry Trout Café

Chef George Wilkes

P.O. Box 973

Grand Marais, MN 55604

www.angrytroutcafe.com

Café Barbette

Chef Ty Hatfield

1600 W. Lake St.

Minnapolis, MN

www.barbette.com

Heartland

Chef Lenny Russo

1806 St. Clair Ave.

St. Paul, MN 55105

www.heartlandrestaurant.com

Lucia’s Restaurant & Wine Bar

Chef Lucia Watson

1432 West 31st St (at Hennepin)

Minneapolis, MN 55408-2605

www.lucias.com

St. Paul Farmers’ Market

Locations throughout the city

May - October

www.stpaulfarmersmarket.com

Surdyk’s

Wine, Liquor, Cheese

303 East Hennepin Ave.

Minneapolis, MN 55414

612-379-3232

www.surdyks.com

Café Zander

525 Selby Avenue

St. Paul, MN 55102

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

For pies this is the place. Norske Nook I can vouch for the Osseo location, which is about 2 hours east on 94. Didn't know they had more than 1 location till visiting their website. Be prepared to stand in line. They also serve soups and sandwiches and such other non-pie fare, but in all the times I've been there I've never had anything but pie...it is so damn good. Why ruin a good pie buzz with a sandwich. The blueberry is my favorite. These are not anywhere close to being cheap, but they are worth every nickel.

Anybody else ever been there?

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

I found out about Norske Nook from an uncle who would drive 5 hours one way just to have pie there. I told him he was nuts, and he said unless I had the pie I couldn't say that. I wouldn't drive 5 hours just for the pie, but it is the best pie I've ever had.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

I'm not the original poster, but when I head to MSP this summer I'll be coming from North...and I love a good pie!  What are your suggestions?

Nor am I the original poster, but I'll probably be driving into MSP on Thursday morning - for a few hours only. Any good places North of the city (or along 494...or is it 694?) to stop for lunch?

Anybody know if there's anywhere good to eat in North Dakota these days (Grand Forks/Fargo)

Nor am I the original poster, but I'll probably be driving into MSP on Thursday morning - for a few hours only.  Any good places North of the city (or along 494...or is it 694?) to stop for lunch?

Anybody know if there's anywhere good to eat in North Dakota these days (Grand Forks/Fargo)

Don't know if this still falls under the heading of regional food, but...

If you're passing MSP on the 494, Al's Breakfast (they're only open till 1pm) is not far off though it's actually in Minneapolis. Al's is the classic breakfast diner--only 14 counter seats--long waits in the morning...etc. Everytime I'm in MSP, I end up having breakfast/brunch there every morning. The only things I've ever had, though, are the Eggs Benedict, hash browns (I like them, but I've heard complaints because they're made of cooked potatoes, not raw), and a side wally blue (blueberry buttermilk pancake). The place is a dive so don't go if you mind many many years of grease caked on the only stove in sight. But the eggs benedict are well worth it...

Avoid ND--just drive back to Winnipeg or head straight to the MSP area.

How could I forget the Park Cafe in Braham, MN, known as the Pie Capital of Minnesota?

A couple of times a year, on our way home from the cabin when traffic on 35 gets the better of us, we pull off and take back roads. I haven't stopped there in years for pie (the kids are in the back seat, asleep), but I remember it was really good.

Avoid ND--just drive back to Winnipeg or head straight to the MSP area.

I can't :raz:

I'm leaving for a few days in Northern Minnesota tomorrow morning, and I don't expect good food where I'm going. That's just the way it is. I'll be spending 1/2 a day in Mpl and most of a day in GF shopping ... it has to be done. I'm sorry, it just has to.

Pam, if you want a good lunch on the northern side of the Twin Citites, 694 to Central Ave. (highway 65). South on Central. Several blocks down, on the right hand side (west side of the street) is Udapi for vegetarian Indian. Outstanding.

For other "northside" suggestions, visit this thread.

I can't  :raz:

I'm leaving for a few days in Northern Minnesota tomorrow morning, and I don't expect good food where I'm going.  That's just the way it is.  I'll be spending 1/2 a day in Mpl and most of a day in GF shopping ... it has to be done.  I'm sorry, it just has to.

Well, if you really have to do it, an acquaintance from rfc once mentioned the following

Sanders in Grand Forks is considered the best restaurant between the

Twin Cities and Seattle.

From this website it seems they're only open for dinner.

Rona,

That review is great! IT's written exactly how I would imagine a review for GF to be writte. I went to school nearby and often heard of this restaurant, but for some reason never made it. I'm not sure if my timing in GF will allow a visit this trip - but I'll let you know if it does.

The writer also mentioned Whitey's which my parents used to take me to when I was a kid. Up until a few years ago (I haven't been in a while) they still gave you a relish tray when you sat down! Who does that anymore? I'm not 100% sure if they survived the flood... but I think I may see if they're still around if I drive through EGF.

I'm leaving in a couple of hours ... I'll let you know if I find anything good in GF or northern MN when I get back!