• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boating, Dining and Music - suggestions?

Chanteuse

Hi,

We have a boat that we keep on the upper part of the Chesapeake (Chestertown, MD).

We like to find good food and music when we travel from port to port.

I'm 42, my husband is 57. Musically we like blues, jazz, classic R & B, classic R&R, Country -- 70's radio pop style ... and LOVE to find REALLY good local bands.

Food wise, we tend to like ALL kinds of food as long as it's good. Traveling on a boat, it can sometimes be hard to be VERY fancy (attire). ... so we tend to go "semi-casual". But, we also LOVE to find a great DIVE that's a great "townie" find with great food and music.

We can regularly travel to Baltimore/Annapolis. So I'm MOSTLY interested in that area either the Eastern or Western shore.

D.C. (the Potomac) is quite a trek. However, we do hope to go somewhat further south on the bay this year, but probably not much past Solomon's Island area. Although it's possible we can go further on our week long vacation.

It would be great if the eateries and clubs are either within walking distance or a short cab ride from the harbor/marina.

Would love to hear suggestions.

Thanks in advance!!

Chanteuse

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. - Maya Angelou

This is the link to a post of mine from last summer for Waterman's Crab House in Rock Hall from another board:

http://www.chowhound.com/midatlantic/board...ages/44687.html

It is EXACTLY what you are looking for.

You should also take a serious look at Suicide Bridge in Hurlock which is off of a tributary of the Bay. This is one of the best Maryland style seafood restaurants in the state; it also has a live band most nights of the week. Both Suicide Bridge and Waterman's have their own marinas. The second half of this post discusses the Suicide Bridge restaurant:

http://www.chowhound.com/midatlantic/board...ages/44130.html

Edited by Joe H (log)

I believe the tributary on which the Suicide Bridge Restaurant is located is the Choptank River. It is upstream from Cambridge. I don't know if they have live music, but they do have wonderful food. I think it would be real hard to commit suicide by jumping off of the nearby bridge though.

I believe the tributary on which the Suicide Bridge Restaurant is located is the Choptank River.  It is upstream from Cambridge.  I don't know if they have live music, but they do have wonderful food.  I think it would be real hard to commit suicide by jumping off of the nearby bridge though.

Upstairs is a bar with a bandstand and room/seating/standing for 250-300 people. They also publish a schedule of the various bands that appear there. I don't know if it's just Friday and Saturday or five or six days a week. It's called Suicide Bridge because there were four suicides in the early part of the 20th C. This is the link to their website explaining the "legend of Suicide Bridge."

http://www.suicidebridge.com/legend.html

Edited by Joe H (log)

This is the link to a post of mine from last summer for Waterman's Crab House in Rock Hall from another board:

http://www.chowhound.com/midatlantic/board...ages/44687.html

It is EXACTLY what you are looking for.

You should also take a serious look at Suicide Bridge in Hurlock which is off of a tributary of the Bay.  This is one of the best Maryland style seafood restaurants in the state; it also has a live band most nights of the week.  Both Suicide Bridge and Waterman's have their own marinas.  The second half of this post discusses the Suicide Bridge restaurant:

http://www.chowhound.com/midatlantic/board...ages/44130.html

Thanks. We do frequent Watermans and enjoy it very much!! I'm from Boston actually and desperately miss my lobster, but finding GREAT Crab helps my immensely!!!

I can't believe I've never heard of Suicide Bridgethough ... I'm going to check out your links right now.

See this is why it's worth it to post. Because you never know what "finds" people will help you find!

Thanks.

edit: OK, near Crisfield. We hope to visit there more this season, so this was a perfect recommendation ... So again --- thanks.

Some friends of ours go to Crisfield a lot and even named their cat Crisfield. (They found him in a dumper in Crisfield).

Hope people will keep contributing to this thread because I intend to print out a list of the recommendations to keep on the boat! :biggrin:

Edited by Chanteuse (log)
Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. - Maya Angelou

The Narrows, in my opinion, has Maryland's best crab cakes. I prefer them over G & M, Jerry's, Stoney's, Angelina's, etc. This is in the Kent Narrows. I believe Captain's Galley has recently closed in Crisfield although their West Ocean City restaurant is still there. This is an especially good source for Maryland crab houses and seafood restaurants:

http://blue-crab.org/crabhouses.htm

My wife and I have been to about half of them over the years. Some, like the Red Roost in Whitehaven, are really out of the way and unique. The Drift Inn is another one that fits this description. And, for what it's worth, she and I disagree on who has the best crab cake! Also, the former chef/cook who gave Stoney's in Broome Island its reputation left and is currently at Tony's Riverhouse in Benedict. Needless to say, Tony's is now seriously good for Maryland seafood. Also, years ago, I used to love Steamboat Landing in Galesville. Unfortunately it's gone through four or five changes in ownership over the last 20 years and is just a shadow of what it once was. There was a time when Southern Living published several of its recipes. Today, no one there would have idea that anything they served was ever made THAT way.

Suicide Bridge is worth seeking out. Not the best for everything but overall, excellent. And, a lot of atmosphere in an idyllic setting, almost a hidden cove. My guess is that half of the cars in the parking lot will have PA and DE plates.

Edited by Joe H (log)

This may be a little far from the water for you, but L'il Magaret's Bluegrass and Old-Time Music Festival just outside Leonardtown, Md, (of the lower Potomac) is an utter blast and also, to stay on topic, features good home cooking and, better yet, a chance to do some serious grilling/barbecuing yourself while the pickin's going on.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.