• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Wine Resources

Freckles

Hi, everyone. Living in Paris for a few years, I cannot help but find myself immersed in and mesmerized by all things wine. I wondered: what are your favourite wine books? Whether for general information, personal memoirs related to wine, books dealing with specific topics... whatever? And are there any websites you particularly enjoy when it comes to wine? Well, EGULLET! That goes without saying. But, any other places you find particularly fun, inspiring or informative?

Thanks! - Freckles

Hi, everyone.  Living in Paris for a few years, I cannot help but find myself immersed in and mesmerized by all things wine.  I wondered: what are your favourite wine books?  Whether for general information, personal memoirs related to wine, books dealing with specific topics... whatever?  And are there any websites you particularly enjoy when it comes to wine?  Well, EGULLET!  That goes without saying.  But, any other places you find particularly fun, inspiring or informative? 

Thanks!  -  Freckles

I believe you'll find book recommendations in the Wine folder here on eGullet. Indispensable for me are: Hugh Johnson and Jancis Robinson's World Wine Atlas, Larousse Wine Dictionary, Parker's Bordeaux and the Oxford Companion to Wine. On the internet: eRobertParker.com/Mark Squires wine bulletin board is lively, opinionated and full of information, plus, its free. I am also subscribed to Benson Marketing newsletters. You can find them at: http//www.bensonmarketing.com . You can get a daily digest of wine related articles from all over the world. Also free.

Mark

I peruse lots of chat sites, finding them more timely and immediate than books or magazines.

Wine Spectator

Robin Garr's Wine Lover's Discussion Group

VinoCellar

West Coast Wine Net

Mark Squires chat list on eRobert Parker.com

And, not a chat group, but a site I write for:

Gang of Pour

Also, wine blogs are growing in popularity (soon to rival food blogs???), and the easiest way to track them is through:

Wine Blog Watch

Thanks so much. These are great suggestions. please don't yell at me for the following question, which might be naive but meant in the spirit of all things Egullet. Do you think that the wine atlas is already outdated? I mean, it was published about 5 years ago and everyone keeps telling me that the last 10 years in wine have been more different than the last 100... so...? What's this wine Newbie to believe?

Edited by Freckles (log)

Thanks so much.  These are great suggestions.  please don't yell at me for the following question, which might be naive but meant in the spirit of all things Egullet.  Do you think that the wine atlas is already outdated?  I mean, it was published about 5 years ago and everyone keeps telling me that the last 10 years in wine have been more different than the last 100... so...?  What's this wine Newbit to believe?

<SCREAM; YELL; HOLLER>

:raz:

Yes and no. Of course.

There is a sense in which, given the lead times of publishing and winemaking, no book on wine will ever be current. But some facts about grapes, viniculture, geography and history remain constant. I find the Johnson/Robinson to be not only a very useful, but also an endlessly entertaining, book, and probably still the standard for the field. When I replace it, it will likely be with a Revised Edition.

And what do you think of the Guide Hachette, please? Everyone uses it here in France like a Bible, but I don't love it. For starters, most wines starred in the 2005 edition are long-sold out by April. And it seems as though some great producers aren't even mentioned in it. Eg. when I went to Vouvray, I saw that Champalou was listed but Huet was not included in the book. So, what gives?

And what do you think of the Guide Hachette, please?  Everyone uses it here in France like a Bible, but I don't love it.  For starters, most wines starred in the 2005 edition are long-sold out by April.  And it seems as though some great producers aren't even mentioned in it.  Eg. when I went to Vouvray, I saw that Champalou was listed but Huet was not included in the book.  So, what gives?

I have to shut up soon, otherwise someone, possibly me, might get the idea I know Sancerre from shinola...

In the meantime, I think guidebooks like the Hachette have an identity problem: they cannot stay current, for the same reasons the Atlas cannot, but their whole purported reason for existing is to help you make purchasing decisions in the here and now. In that regard, I can see them being useful in navigating a winelist, rather than a wine store - if someone were to bother lugging something that size around to a restaurant. Myself, I prefer sommeliers; they're more portable.

Still, that leaves me with a problem, because I *do* like the Hachette... I think it's that I read it historically, not for practical immediate use, but to get a sense of what's what in terms of trends and such. Browse it for a few minutes at a time, letting random connections carry me along. As for completeness... I don't know Vouvray as well as I might, but for Bordeaux, which I know a little better, they do a fair job. How big a deal is Huet? It might be worth dropping them a stern yet kindly line...

And this is my last question in this topic.... I swear. I have literally dozens of bottles of wine that I've been given, and I have NO idea when to drink them. Is there any site that I can use specifically for discovering whether to consume or wait for any given bottle? I'm really at a loss.

Is there any site that I can use specifically for discovering whether to consume or wait for any given bottle?  I'm really at a loss.

The Robert Parker paid site is probably the best resource for that, although it is hardly inclusive. Stephen Tanzer's site is another good place to go for reviews on wine (and usually there is a comment like "best from 2005 to 2020"). While a tad more time consuming, all those sites I provided links for have search functions just like the one here on eG -- you could find out what others consumers of those wines think and their aging potential.

And this is my last question in this topic.... I swear.  I have literally dozens of bottles of wine that I've been given, and I have NO idea when to drink them.  Is there any site that I can use specifically for discovering whether to consume or wait for any given bottle?  I'm really at a loss.

Most good retailers sites have "best between 2006-2009" type information - try Berry Bros and Rudd as an example.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Thanks so much.  These are great suggestions.  please don't yell at me for the following question, which might be naive but meant in the spirit of all things Egullet.  Do you think that the wine atlas is already outdated?  I mean, it was published about 5 years ago and everyone keeps telling me that the last 10 years in wine have been more different than the last 100... so...?  What's this wine Newbie to believe?

I found the Atlas actually ahead of its time, informing me about wines from East Germany, Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Asia, and the middle East, years before they make an entrance in North America. Well, at least the LCBO is now offering a choice of Lebanese wines, as opposed to waiting for Ch. Musar every few years!

Lot's of good resourses listed already, I also read articles in Food and Wine or other food books. I find some of the books mentioned give a good general understanding, but I do not use them for specific purchases. I found Kevin Zraly's Windows on the World Wine book to be a good learning guide, and I like Burton Anderson's Wines of Italy as a helpful guide.

BUT, the books, magazines, internet sites can give you ideas...your palate is unique, so use it as a guide and then taste, taste, taste.

For your older bottles, or gifts, and when to drink them, Wine Spectator has this pullout vintage chart, I believe it is in their January issue, it has the regions, and rates the years. As a pure guess, I would say many of your gifts are ready to drink now. If youhave some better bottels that you are unsure of, post them, and you'll get plenty of opinions

Ed McAniff

A Taster's Journey

• 2 weeks later...

Hi added these this encyclopedia seems to have it all, following thread about grape varieties in Bourdeaux, this book has a break down for most of the wines!

The New Sothebys Wine Encyclopedia

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/078...5/egulletcom-20

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...5/egulletcom-20

As for pocket book was surprised no one mentioned this one! Was there a reason as I knew a restaurant that got recognised for wine and he swore by this bible. As he said only the best years and the best wines this book was what helped him.

Hugh Johnsons Pocket WineBook

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/184...4/egulletcom-20

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1...4/egulletcom-20

Hope this helps

Stef

Damn typos chefs aren't meant to write :raz:

Edited by PassionateChefsDie (log)
Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!