• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ramps: The Topic

hotMeat

I got some ramps at the NYC Union Square farmers market today and I am amped to use them. Any suggestions on preperation, I was thinking of sauteeing (that can't be spelled right) them with some broccoli rabe that I got.

Snozberry. Who ever heard of a snozberry.

-Veruca Salt

Saute the white parts with a little butter and salt. Chiffonade the leaves and saute with a little garlic and butter. You'll be good to go.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

I made a first pass at the ramps tonight. butter and a little beefy evoo int the pan then white parts cut like scallions. Gave them a minute and then the green parts chiffonade with some rabe. let it go for a minute more put in a little chx stock and gave it 5 or 10 more min. S&P. booya! It was really great. Thanks for the guidance Dryden.

-Veruca Salt

I made a first pass at the ramps tonight.  butter and a little beefy evoo int the pan then white parts cut like scallions.  Gave them a minute and then the green parts chiffonade with some rabe.  let it go for a minute more put in a little chx stock and gave it 5 or 10 more min.  S&P.  booya!  It was really great.  Thanks for the guidance Dryden.

you might wanna try bacon fat next time, if you don't have a problem with that sort of thing. a lot of the recipes i've read said that's the tradition.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

tanabutler: I talked to the guy at the farmer's market today and he said that ramps had about 2 weeks left. So, according to him, there will not be ramps at the end of may.

bigjas: I thought about the bacon fat idea especially in light of the rabe. But, besides the fact that I didn't have any bacon fat around, I thought that the baconyness would over power the ramps which are pretty delicate. The whole affair was lovely though.

-Veruca Salt

Y'all know that if you eat them, you will smell like them for 3 days, don't you? Just curious :biggrin:

I had ramps with halibut at Union in Seattle tonite. We'll see what the next three days hold.

• Like 1

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Y'all know that if you eat them, you will smell like them for 3 days, don't you? Just curious :biggrin:

you say that like it's a bad thing...

but seriously i've eaten a pile of ramps sauteed in bacon grease once a week for the last three weeks and haven't noticed any residual effects. but then again, i do eat a lot of onions, garlic, shallots, scallions on a near-daily basis (nearly everything i make starts with something from that family) so maybe i always smell kinda funky.

I've been torn between ordering them by mail while they're still available, and waiting to see if my Farmers Market has them this year (last year I didn't go during ramp season) -- does anyone have any positive or negative experiences to relay with mail order ramps?

tanabutler:  I talked to the guy at the farmer's market today and he said that ramps had about 2 weeks left.  So, according to him, there will not be ramps at the end of may. 

bigjas: I thought about the bacon fat idea especially in light of the rabe.  But, besides the fact that I didn't have any bacon fat around, I thought that the baconyness would over power the ramps which are pretty delicate.  The whole affair was lovely though.

Whadda ya know? There are ramps at the San Francisco Ferry Plaza market. I'll get up there next week, perhaps.

Thanks!

My kids looked at me like I was crazy tonight when I sauteed some ramps in bacon fat. I made each of them take one bite.

They were gone in an instant. "Mom, can you go and get more of these tomorrow so we can have them for dinner again and again and again?"

Instant hit. Too bad the season is so short.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Our new overlords are green leafy members of the onion family which are sometimes refered to as "wild leeks." The are commonly known as ramps and they are taking over the world. I was at Union Square farmers market today to witness that nearly every vendor was selling the lush little guys. WOW!

-Veruca Salt

Dinner tonight needed to be a fast "one-dish" meal. Orichette pasta, broccoli and italian sausage, with a few red pepper flakes.

So, I didn't have as much broccoli as I thought, but I had ramps.

Outstanding!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 1 month later...

Last night I cooked up a slightly modified version of Paula Wolfert's Ramps, Asparagus and Ham from this L.A. Times article about her, written by Russ Parsons. Wow. Wow. Wow! If you can still get ramps, I recommend this. As it happened I had prosciutto, not ham, and I had no sweet young salad greens, so this became a bowl salad without the greens instead of a plated salad. It was still wonderful, and could have been a meal unto itself.

I have to go see if I can get more ramps before the season runs out! I'll post photos when I get near a computer that has a photo program I understand.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 10 months later...
what's a ramp? besides an inclined walk way

See Post #18 of this discussion for a link to information about ramps.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver