• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rustwood

rustwood

On 4/21/2021 at 4:43 PM, Nyleve Baar said:

Oooo I just made something I think I'm going to really like. Ramp salt. Finely chopped 4 oz. leaves (in food processor), mixed with 1/2 cup coarse French sea salt and laid it out on a parchment covered baking sheet. Dried til crispy just on the side of wood cookstove (can just air dry or use dehydrator too). Then I ground it up a little finer in a coffee grinder. It looks wonderful and smells great. Can't wait to try it.

Have you tried it yet?  I made it yesterday.  It smells good, but I tried it on my eggs this morning and I can't say I could taste it.  Perhaps I need to be a little more heavy handed with it, or I could still be blown out from the smell that filled the house yesterday. 

BTW, I ate some sauteed ramps with my eggs yesterday morning, set the ramp salt to dry in the toaster oven, then after a while went out to run an errand.  When I got back into my car, it smelled like a bag of everything bagels but I think it was just my lingering odor (or perhaps my clothes).  I guess the smell coming off of me at least helped with social distancing.   Of course now I want to pick up some poppy or egg bagels and try mixing ramp salt in with the cream cheese.

rustwood

rustwood

On 4/21/2021 at 4:43 PM, Nyleve Baar said:

Oooo I just made something I think I'm going to really like. Ramp salt. Finely chopped 4 oz. leaves (in food processor), mixed with 1/2 cup coarse French sea salt and laid it out on a parchment covered baking sheet. Dried til crispy just on the side of wood cookstove (can just air dry or use dehydrator too). Then I ground it up a little finer in a coffee grinder. It looks wonderful and smells great. Can't wait to try it.

Have you tried it yet?  I made it yesterday.  It smells good, but I tried it on my eggs this morning and I can't say I could taste it.  Perhaps I need to be a little more heavy handed with it, or I could still be blown out from the smell that filled the house yesterday. 

BTW, I ate some sauteed ramps with my eggs yesterday morning, set the ramp salt to dry in the toaster oven, then after a while went out to run an errand.  When I got back into my car, it smelled like a bag of everything bagels but I think it was just my lingering odor (or perhaps my clothes).  I guess the smell coming off of me at least helped with social distancing.   Of course now I want to pick up some poppy or eggs bagels and try mixing ramp salt in with the cream cheese.