• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

9 minutes ago, dans said:

I love ramps and would like to grow them instead of buying.  How do you do this? Can I just buy some ramps from a grocery and put them in the ground? 

They require special and specific conditions to thrive, including a cold period to break shoot dormancy. It's unlikely they'd do well in the lowlands of the deep south.

Around here, the southern-tier of NY state and northern-tier of PA, in certain 'sweet spots' they grow abundantly, literally blanketing the forest floor in a sea of green.

They're a welcome early sign of spring but largely considered an abundant pedestrian food. A dinner or two, or sometimes a few, satisfies until next year.

Cultivating Ramps: Wild Leeks of Appalachia

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

6 minutes ago, dans said:

I love ramps and would like to grow them instead of buying.  How do you do this? Can I just buy some ramps from a grocery and put them in the ground? 

They require special and specific conditions to thrive, including a cold period to break shoot dormancy. It's unlikely they'd do well in the lowlands of the deep south.

Around here, the southern-tier of NY state and northern-tier of PA, in certain 'sweet spots' they grow abundantly, literally blanketing the forest floor in a sea of green.

They're a welcome early sign of spring but largely considered an ubiquitous pedestrian food. A dinner or two, or sometimes a few, satisfies until next year.

Cultivating Ramps: Wild Leeks of Appalachia