• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rustwood

rustwood

Ramps have appeared in my local Wegmans - I believe they were $16.99 a pound.  I didn't notice an origin for them.  They had roots on, but were very clean.  They had very skinny stems and mostly had no, or almost no, bulb at all.  The bulb ends were mostly just a slightly thicker white stem.   I was pleasantly surprised to find that they were still very tasty.  I am wondering if they were skinny because it is early in the season and it has been a cold spring, or if perhaps that is how they are being commercially raised and harvested.  Any thoughts? 

On the plus side, because they were clean and had small bulbs, it only cost $1.50 or so for more than enough to make a delicious egg scramble (butter, eggs, ramps, salt, aleppo pepper, and a bit of mild cheese on top).  I had been thinking I might take some from the fledgling patch of ramps in my back yard, but now I won't.  I planted them in 3 areas 2 years ago.  They came up in 2 of those locations last year, but it looks like only one patch came back this year.   They seem healthy so hopefully they will start to thrive in that location.  I am still a long way from being able to sustainably harvest more than a taste though.

rustwood

rustwood

Ramps have appeared in my local Wegmans - I believe they were $16.99 a pound.  I didn't notice any origin for them.  They had roots on, but were very clean.  They had very skinny stems and mostly had no, or almost no, bulb at all.  The bulb ends were mostly just a slightly thicker white stem.   I was pleasantly surprised to find that they were still very tasty.  I am wondering if they were skinny because it is early in the season and it has been a cold spring, or if perhaps that is how they are being commercially raised and harvested.  Any thoughts? 

On the plus side, because they were clean and had small bulbs, it only cost $1.50 or so for more than enough to make a delicious egg scramble (butter, eggs, ramps, salt, aleppo pepper, and a bit of mild cheese on top).  I had been thinking I might take some from the fledgling patch of ramps in my back yard, but now I won't.  I planted them in 3 areas 2 years ago.  They came up in 2 of those locations last year, but it looks like only one patch came back this year.   They seem healthy so hopefully they will start to thrive in that location.  I am still a long way from being able to sustainably harvest more than a taste though.