• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Newark Best's

Msk

I can't seem to find any information on the Newak Best's (as opposed to the Chicago Best's) Hot dog company. I have seen several allusions to buying from their factory in Newark but don't know the address or any other information about them (other than Syd's and various other places use their product)

Can anyone help me out? I even tried calling information when Google turned up nothing.

Msk

That is the site! I don't know where you're coming from, but an easy way to get there is to take rt 78 East (assuming you're coming from the west) to exit 56 Clinton Ave. Take this street to the end and make a left onto Avon Ave. A couple of blocks down, make a left onto Jeliff St. Best's is on Avon and Jeliff, but the entrance to the plant is on Jeliff.

In addition to their great hot dogs, they also sell other beef products including corned beef, pastrami, roast beef, beef bacon, hambugers, and spicy beef sausage. If you go for hot dogs, let me suggest that you get those with natural casing. They come in a variety of sizes. I get either the 5 to a lb (Syd's) or 8's (Jerry's).

They are open at 6:00 in the AM and stay open till around 4. On Saturday they close at 12 or 1. An interesting story. I can't always get to Best's because I work on Saturdays and usually work my day off during the week. I wanted some of their hot dogs for the weekend and asked my wife to pick them up. She replied something like, "What are you crazy? I don't want to go there and get shot!" It's not in the one of the greatest neighborhoods, but I've never had a problem. You park right near the back loading dock and go in through the slotted door about 10 feet away. Well, since I didn't feel like getting up extra early to be there Saturday before work, I went without the hot dogs. The next day in the Sunday Star Ledger, I read about a cop that was shot right on the same street in front of Best! Luckily, he was wearing a bullet proof vest which saved him. I showed the article to my wife who now refuses to even drive with me when I make the trip there.

Hope I didn't scare you away. I've never had a problem. The Police happenned to be chasing some drug dealers and they ended up in the area.

John the hot dog guy

I have occasionally seen Bests' dogs in my local A & P. This winter, based on the comments in this forum, the family and I compared Bests with Usingers, ordered via the internet. Admittedly, the Usingers were natural casing, and the Bests were not. Nevertheless, we all felt that the Usinger's were some of the tastiest dogs we've ever eaten.

So, IMHO, order the Usingers while surfing the net, and don't risk death.

Don't risk death, although you never know what might happen when you open a package nowadays. Seriously, I would say that I've probably eaten Best hot dogs more than any other brand. It's what I'm used to. The first time I had Usinger's, I told people that I finally found a frank better than Best's. But the more I sample the 2, the more I come to the conclusion that I like them equally, depending on the mood that I'm in. Best's is definitely better in an Italian Hot Dog, as the garlic and paprika stand out. On the outdoor grill, Best's also tastes great. If you are cooking the dogs in water or on a griddle, Usinger's are better. These two dogs are probably my 2 favorites out of all that I sampled. Best is more in the N.Y./N.J./Chicago/Eastern kosher style than Usinger's. Best is milder than Sabrett and Nathan's, but has the garlic and paprika that a dog in this style typifies. A great casing and a great blend of spices. Usinger's also has a great blend of spices, but the spices aren't what you usually find in a kosher style dog in the Eastern US. Usinger's has nutmeg, coriander, white pepper, and other esoteric spices. And it has a smoky flavor which is usually found in the beef/pork franks rather than all beef. The size is also different. Shorter and thicker than what is considered normal for this type of dog. But it tastes great. Even though it may not be considered true to style; so what. If it tastes good, eat it. All in all, if I was forced to pick what tasted better, I'd go with Usinger's. But the Best 5 to a lb frank which is served at Syd's is right there. A softer casing, longer , sleeker dog, with the taste and spicing that is typical of this area. To really get an idea of how this dog tastes, I suggest going to Syd's and ordering a grilled dog (they also come boiled).

John the hot dog guy

Thanks for all the great advice! Considering I am likely to eat Hot Dogs more than once this grilling season, I will give both a try. My father-inlaw works in the area so it won't be too difficult for him to get to them.

I noticed Jason in another thread had said they were Glatt Kosher but apparently they are not. Perhaps it was the Chicago Best he was referring to?

I have a good friend who used to love Syd's dogs and has since turned Kosher so was curious about it.

Thanks again guys.

Mike

Don't risk death, although you never know what might happen when you open a package nowadays. Seriously, I would say that I've probably eaten Best hot dogs more than any other brand. It's what I'm used to. The first time I had Usinger's, I told people that I finally found a frank better than Best's. But the more I sample the 2, the more I come to the conclusion that I like them equally, depending on the mood that I'm in. Best's is definitely better in an Italian Hot Dog, as the garlic and paprika stand out. On the outdoor grill, Best's also tastes great. If you are cooking the dogs in water or on a griddle, Usinger's are better. These two dogs are probably my 2 favorites out of all that I sampled. Best is more in the N.Y./N.J./Chicago/Eastern kosher style than Usinger's. Best is milder than Sabrett and Nathan's, but has the garlic and paprika that a dog in this style typifies. A great casing and a great blend of spices. Usinger's also has a great blend of spices, but the spices aren't what you usually find in a kosher style dog in the Eastern US. Usinger's has nutmeg, coriander, white pepper, and other esoteric spices. And it has a smoky flavor which is usually found in the beef/pork franks rather than all beef. The size is also different. Shorter and thicker than what is considered normal for this type of dog. But it tastes great. Even though it may not be considered true to style; so what. If it tastes good, eat it. All in all, if I was forced to pick what tasted better, I'd go with Usinger's. But the Best 5 to a lb frank which is served at Syd's is right there. A softer casing, longer , sleeker dog, with the taste and spicing that is typical of this area. To really get an idea of how this dog tastes, I suggest going to Syd's and ordering a grilled dog (they also come boiled).

There's a reason they call him John the hot dog guy... :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Best Provisions in Newark makes dogs that are kosher style, not kosher. The Chicago Best makes the following brands: Best Kosher, Sinai 48, Shofar, and Oscherwitz. The first 3 are kosher, while Oscherwitz is Glatt Kosher. Sinai 48 is the brand served at the famous Superdawg in Chicago. Shofar used to be widely available in Jersey, now you only see it occasionally at a few hot dog carts. There's one at Sears in Watchung. You can also get Shofar at Restaurant Depot. Best Kosher is sold at Sams Club and Wegmans. I bought a package at the Woodbridge Wegmans. The dog is a typical kosher dog; salty, beefy, and good. Better, in my opinion than Shofar. But not as good as Best's from Jersey.

On here I may be John the hot dog guy, but to my family I'm John that needs to get a life. But there are few things I enjoy more than a good hot dog, a good beer, and a good baseball game. Keeps me out of trouble too.

John the hot dog guy

John - the breadth and depth of your knowledge is at once awe-inspiring and artery clogging.

I am waiting for the John the Hot Dog Guy documentary "SuperDog Me"

"A modest man with an all consuming passion for sausage eats nothing but hot dogs for a month, just like every other month of the year"

The critics hail this cinematic all-you-can eat buffet:

"I watched it with relish." - Roger Ebert

"My next film is Bowling for Bratwurst" - Michael Moore

"Can't talk...eating. Need to wipe my moustache" - Gene Shalit

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

John - the breadth and depth of your knowledge is at once awe-inspiring and artery clogging.

I am waiting for the John the Hot Dog Guy documentary "SuperDog Me"

"A modest man with an all consuming passion for sausage eats nothing but hot dogs for a month, just like every other month of the year"

The critics hail this cinematic all-you-can eat buffet:

"I watched it with relish." - Roger Ebert

"My next film is Bowling for Bratwurst" - Michael Moore

"Can't talk...eating. Need to wipe my moustache" - Gene Shalit

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

John the hot dog guy

Thanks for that rundown John. Have you ever tried the Abels and Heymanns kosher Dogs? How do they rate versus the Best's brands (from Chicago) Just figured I'd ask since we were on the subject and I often find myself buying kosher dogs for various reasons.

Mike

I don't know about John, but I like them, the "low sodium" variant got fairly high marks in our last hot dog roundup. They are made by the same company.

Next’s up is Best’s Beef Reduced Sodium Frankfurters. This is not to be confused with Best’s Kosher, an unrelated Chicago-based brand we did not have access to. This Newark New Jersey company has been described as the default hot dog vendor used in Italian Hot Dog stands in the area surrounding its city of origin. It scored 4th highest on our entire survey, despite being low-sodium. Particularly liked was the texture of the dog, which while rated Medium on average, seemed pleasing.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=650258

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

As to the Abeles, which is also made in Newark:

An interesting surprise (although one reviewer was entirely cold on it) was the Abeles & Heymann Kosher Bison/Beef hybrid, the most expensive hot dog we surveyed. Spicyness and saltiness were all medium level, but all agreed it was a very firm dog and not very greasy. The Bison taste blended well and was not overpowering. One reviewer thought the texture was “somewhat like baloney” but the others didn’t agree.

I happen to like them a lot, but they are quite pricey, at around $8 a package.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

john, just so i'm clear, are the Best's dogs i see in the supermarket any good?

thanks.

I certainly think so (for whatever that's worth...:biggrin: )! As I recall, John explained to me that the difference between the ones that they sell in the supermarket and the ones sold from their warehouse is that the supermarket ones are skinless.

I don't eat hot dogs too often, but when I do, I always buy Best's...they're what I grew up eating (here in NJ)! Great on the grill.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I've never had the Abeles & Heymann's franks. I'm sure that they're available at the Clark Shop Rite. When I get low on dogs, I'll pick up a pack. So far the best kosher dog I've had is Empire National. They are available at Tabatchniks in a giant 1/3 lb size. You can get them in a smaller size (8 to a lb) at Zayda's in South Orange and another kosher deli on Mill Rd. in Irvington. The name is Seroff's I believe.

Tommy, the Best dogs in the supermarket are very good. I get the regular ones rather than low sodium. The regular dogs come in 2 sizes; 10 to a lb, and the longer 8 to a lb. I like the longer dogs. I spoke with the plant manager at Best, who told me that all of their dogs are made to the same recipe, which is the only recipe they've had since they opened in 1939. I prefer the dogs with casing, so I go to the plant to get them. Like Curlz, I grew up eating these franks. I've had them probably more than any other brand. And she's right, they are exceptional on the grill for whatever reason. As good a dog on the grill as there is, and that includes Usinger's. Last summer I grilled Sabrett and Best's at a party for my sister. Six people compared the 2 without knowing anything about what brands they were. All 6 chose the Best dog. Even though you can get natural casing at the factory, you can still get the skinless dogs. In sizes ranging from 4 to 12 per lb. And cheaper than what you would pay at the supermarket. Something like $2.25 per lb. A little more expensive for casing. Occasionally you will see Best on sale at Shop Rite for $1.99 per lb. They are regularly anywhere from $3.69 to $4.99.

John the hot dog guy

Best Provisions also made the Hot Dogs for Don's, a landmark restaurant on the Livingston/Short Hills border that went out of business 7 or 8 years ago. they sell the "Donnie" Dogs at Livingston Bagel and at the Chicken Nest. They are the natural casing dogs not the supermarket kind and yes they are killer on the grill. And i really like them on the long six inch Italian semolina rolls that you can get at any good Italian bakery. IMHO,regular hot dog rolls just don't make it.

Jeff

You can also buy theses dogs at Best's. I was told by one of the guys working there that after Don's closed, many of their customers asked where they got their dogs from. So many people went to Best's asking for these dogs that they decided to continue making them.

John the hot dog guy

I have a good friend who used to love Syd's dogs and has since turned Kosher so was curious about it. 

Your friend wouldn't happen to be Rick Rubenstein, would he?

No, its my wifes family actually. Thanks again for the info.

Mike

SYD's HOT DOGS - what's the second best way to cook them?

I don't have an outdoor grill (not permitted on my paprment terrace), and I see that that's the preferred method. What would be the backup plan? I do have a convection broiler that gets very hot, or I could use a flat griddle on the stove. I took my life in my hands and drove to Bests the other day to get some (thanks to all the advice here on eG) , and want to prepare them to maximum effect, since I've never cooked 'em at home. Thanks.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

John:

I went to livingston Bagel today for Donnie dogs and almost threw up! 5.99 a lb.!!!!! what does Best's charge for Natural casing dog's? it would be worth a trip to Newark if i don't have to pay these rip off prices!

By the way... your hot dog knowledge is 2nd to none! You are to be commended!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry so late getting back to you. The Don's dogs are available at Best. They charge $3.50 per lb, which is more expensive than the skinless dogs and most natural casing ones too because of the unusual size. But you have to buy a minimum of 2 lbs, so it will cost you $7.00. I would suggest trying the Syd's dogs if you haven't already. I like the size better than the Don's dogs. Longer and thinner. Don's is short and fat. But it depends on what you like. There was a place on the Irvington/Union border called The Old Homestead which served the Don's dogs on an Italian roll and topped them with mustard and homemade sauerkraut. The plant manager at Best told me that it was his favorite place to stop for a hot dog.

John the hot dog guy