• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmers Markets

I'm so glad Mamster brought up Farmers' Markets in the topic about evil grocery store cards (EVIL! EVIL!)

So I've been compiling a list for years for myself and friends of great Farmers' Markets, their hours, and the stuff they sell.

If you have any additions, corrections, etc. to make to my big ol' list, please post away!! I'd appreciate any updates you have. I know that most of the information is current, but some of the stuff on my list is a few years old (some of the markets I haven't been to in about 4 years!). Also, if you know of any really special products or produce available at the markets, please post!

I even found a few more after I posted this! And I'm looking around for more. I know there are other markets out there that aren't on my list, please tell us about them!

REMEMBER TO CALL before you travel to a market to make sure the hours and days are still accurate (I always do) because they change often.

South King County/North Pierce County

Kent Public Market, 206 Railroad Ave. N., Kent. Call 253-813-6976. Due to money issues and other problems, this market may be moving soon, or it may have already. The market features fresh produce, nursery items, handmade crafts, a meat market featuring smoked meats, a garlic garden featuring food products made from garlic, a specialty foods section sellling bread and cake mixes, jams, jellies, chocolate covered popcorn and more.

Enumclaw Farmers’ Market, located at Cole and Initial Streets in downtown Enumclaw (near the Chamber of Commerce Office), Enumclaw. Call 360-825-1962. Season runs from April-Oct. Hours are 10 a.m.-3 p.m. every Saturday. Featured items include fresh produce (cherries, orchard fruit, Asian vegetables, cider, pears, etc.), nursery stock, horticulture items, hand-made crafts (wood makers, bead makers, metal art, pottery, etc.). The market features more than 400 different kinds of dahlias and custom crafted teas. Regular artist demonstrations.

Covington Weekend Market, located on 172nd Street Southeast, next to Taco Time and Les Schwab, Covington. Call 253-639-0942. Season runs from June-Sept. Hours are 9 a.m.-4 p.m. every Saturday. The market features fresh produce, flowers and hand-crafted items and a swap meet area.

Puyallup Farmers’ Market, located at Pioneer Park across the street from the chamber office (at 322 Second St. S.W., Puyallup). Call 253-845-6755 (or www.puyallupchamber.com). Season runs from May-Sept. Hours are 9 a.m.-2 p.m. every Saturday. The market features baked goods, plants, bulbs, cut and dried flowers, fresh herbs, farm vegetables and fruits and food vendors.

University Place Farmers’ Market, 3617 Bridgeport Way W., University Place. Call 253-564-6373. Season runs from May-Oct. Hours are 10 a.m.-3 p.m. every Saturday. The market will feature Eastern Washington farmers, food vendors featuring food from local restaurants, craft vendors, children’s book readings, smoked seafood, specialty popcorn, organic produce and musical entertainment.

Tacoma Farmers’ Market, located between Ninth and 11th Streets on Broadway, Tacoma. Call 253-272-7077. Season runs from June-Oct. Hours are 10 a.m.-2 p.m. every Thursday. Featured items include fresh produce, nursery stock, craft vendors, prepared food and live entertainment.

EASTSIDE

Redmond Saturday Market, 7730 Leary Way, Redmond. Call 425-556-0636. Season runs from May-Oct. Hours are 8 a.m.-2 p.m. every Saturday. Featured items include fresh produce (local and Eastern Washington farmers), flowers, plants, crafts, custom-packed albacore tuna and tuna jerky, fresh goat and feta cheese, composting bins, fresh-made crepes. King County Master Gardeners on site from 8 a.m.-2 p.m. every Saturday.

Kirkland Farmers Market, located at Park Lane East between Main and Third. Call 425-822-7066. Hours are noon to 7 p.m. every Wednesday. Featured items include produce, crafts, flowers and homemade food.

Woodinville Farmers’ Market, 13205 N.E. 175th St., Woodinville (next to Woodinville City Hall). Call 425-485-1042. Season runs from April-Oct. 14. Hours are 9 a.m.-4 p.m. every Saturday. The market features produce from local farmers (the market is part of the Puget Sound Farm Fresh Program), crafts and handmade art from Washington state artists, a wide selection of plants (including perennials and specialty plants and flowers), handmade foods (from barbecue to pesto sauces), cooking demonstrations the third Saturday of the month and a barbecue the first Saturday of the month.

Farmers’ Market at Country Village, 23730 Bothell-Everett Hwy, Bothell. Call 425-483-2250. Season runs from June-mid October. Hours are 10 a.m.-3 p.m. every Friday. Featured items include cut flowers, plants, fresh produce and food products.

Issaquah Public Market, the historic Pickering Barn, Southeast 56th Street and 10th Avenue Northwest. Call 425-837-3276. Hours are 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Saturday. Featured items include produce, crafts and homemade foods.

North Bend Farmers' Market, located at the North Bend Senior Center on Main and Park streets at SR 202. Call 425-888-4440. Hours are 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday. Season runs June-Sept. Featured items include produce, flowers, herbs and crafts.

SEATTLE

Pike Place Market, located in downtown Seattle (duh). Call 206-682-7453. Hours are 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday. Market season is year round. Featured items include fresh produce, fresh seafood and meats, fresh and dried flowers, specialty handmade crafts and a bonanza of other items.

Ballard Farmers' Market, located at the US Bank lot at 22nd Avenue Northwest and Northwest 56th Street. Call 206-782-2286. Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. every Sunday. Featured items include produce, flowers, fish and baked goods.

West Seattle Farmers’ Market, located at the corner of Alaska and 44th Street Southwest at the Alaska Junction. Call 206-935-0904. Season runs from June-Oct. Hours are 10 a.m.-2 p.m. every Sunday. Featured items include fresh produce, organic produce, herbs, eggs, cheese, honey, fresh flowers, fresh baked goods and nursery stock. Special events include strolling musicians, onsite cooking demonstrations, gardening and composting advice from master gardeners.

Fremont Sunday Market, located at North 34th Street and Fremont Avenue near the Aurora Bridge. Call 206-781-6776. Season runs from May-October. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m. every Sunday. Featured items include fresh flowers, produce, flea market treasures, antiques, hand-crafted items and more.

Columbia City Farmers’ Market, located at the corner of Rainier Avenue South and South Edmunds Street, Seattle. Call 206-722-4835. Hours are 3-7 p.m. every Wednesday. Featured items include fresh produce, baked goods, fresh handmade pasta and sauces and prepared foods. Cooking demonstrations and other special events every week.

University District Farmers Market, located at the corner of Universiyt Way Northeast and Northeast 50th. Call 206-632-5234. Season runs from May-Sept. Hours are 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Saturday. Featured items include produce, plants and cooking demos (I don't have a current schedule).

Lake City Farmers Market, located at Northeast 127th Street and 30th Avenue Northeast (behind the fire station). Call 206-632-5234. Hours are 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. every Thursday. Season runs June-Sept. Featured items include produce, plants and crafts.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

gc, you are the sweetest.  Thank you so much for the fantastic list of farmer's markets.  It is much more thorough than anything I have ever seen.  The Washington State Farmers Market Association has a website, but it isn't very comlete: Click here

btw, how is your veggie garden coming along?  We're hoping to plant ours this weekend.  I think we're pretty late this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Girl Chow, thought I'd give you another market to post. The Beaverton Farmers Market, just west of Portland, OR. Open 8:00 AM to 1:30 PM on Saturdays, beginning in May and going through October. Mid-July through September, they also offer a scaled down version of the market on Wednesday evenings from 4-7 PM.  Beaverton Farmers Mkt features  fresh Fruits & Vegetables,Cut Flowers, Annuals, Herbs,Perennials,  lots of free produce tastes/samples and even entertainment.  The market is located on SW Hall Boulevard, between Third and Fifth Streets, in Beaverton, OR. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out the Columbia City Farmers Market today.  It was very lively (helped by the facts that it's the last day of school, this afternoon was bright and sunny, and the market included a Juneteenth celebration).  We go to the U-District Market on Saturday morning (these are all Seattle markets, by the way), and many of the same farmers were in CC.  Notable addition was a table with a peanut roaster, and lots of fresh roasted peanuts (in the shell).  I think there were a couple of extra berry booths, too.  Lots of strawberries, in general.  I bought a couple of pints and came home to find that Matthew had also bought a couple of pints at Thriftway.  Whatever will we do?  (Shortcake, that's what we'll do.)

The berries are very ripe, red, and juicy, nice and dirty so you can tell they really grew.

I also bought some rhubarb, and the farmer told me this week is the last chance for rhubarb.  I made rhubarb crisp twice in the last two weeks and it was Super-Juicy, Yum Yum!  both times.

Also bought... let's see, rapini, and asparagus.

If you haven't been to the CC Market, it's near several good restaurants, like Salumeria on Hudson, La Medusa, Deux Tamales (haven't been there but I've heard it's good), and there's a taco wagon in the parking lot by the market, called Dos Hermanos.  Anyone tried it?  And has anyone been to Salumeria since their big renovation?  We keep talking about going.

Farmers Market=good

Hungry Monkey May 2009

• 4 weeks later...

Last week I was down in Columbia City for a meeting, and grabbed a couple of tacos at Dos Hermanos on my way. They were really tasty--fresh, crisped tortillas, juicy chicken, plenty of onions and peppers. I took the tacos down the block to the park by the library. Dos Hermanos has a fairly extensive menu (for a taco wagon), and I definitely want to go back. Tacos were $1.25 each, with the usual list of fillings (steak, al pastor, cerveza, more pork things).

The taco wagon is in the same parking lot as the farmers market, at Rainier S and S Edmunds. Since the CC Farmers Market is Wednesday 4-7, it's perfect for a combination market/taco excursion.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

• 4 weeks later...

I tried out the Ballard Farmer's Market last Sunday. It was nicely sized, quiet, and friendly. Got some great stuff including Bainbridge Island brown eggs and a variety of new potatoes. There was also a new jewish baker (retail to open in Magnolia in September) selling marbled rye and challah, lots of beautiful berries, flowers, pasta, and produce, a meat seller, crafts, and some prepared food booths. Timing was wrong for me, but I want to go back and try the crepes or the vegetarian foods made to order. They looked (and smelled) great.

• 9 months later...

WOOHOO! The markets are opening!

I saw Schielke's post about Farmers' Markets (thank you for the reminder!!!) and thought I'd resurrect this ol' thread about Farmers' Markets throughout the area.

Hope my post from earlier in this thread helps people who haven't yet discovered the Farmers' Markets outside the Seattle area. There are LOTS of great markets outside Seattle, really!

Be sure to call first and check addresses etc... my list at the top of this thread is old :biggrin:

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

• 11 months later...

The markets are opening. WOOHOO!

I've updated my massive list. No need to thank me, just send me a check :wink:

Please note some changes from my list above that's a few years old: The Enumclaw and Covington Markets have CLOSED (bummer). Also, the Kent Market has moved and some of the Tacoma markets also have new addresses. New markets this year are Federal Way, Carnation and one soon will be opening in Bellevue (in the permit process).

Here's my list (always call first and check info, things change frequently at farmers markets)

SOUTH END

Kent: downtown Kent at the municipal lot at Smith Street, from Fourth Avenue to Second Avenue. Open June 5, Saturdays, 9-3

Maple Valley: fruit/veggie stand, Maple Valley Highway and 214th Street. Open now. Daily 9-7.

Renton: Renton Piazza at S. 3rd & Burnett. Opens June 15, runs Tuesdays 3-7, 425-226-4560

NEW THIS YEAR!!: Federal Way: In the Sears parking lot of the SeaTac Mall (err, Federal Way Commons, whatever) at 320th and Pacific Highway South. Opoens June 19, runs Saturdays 9-2. 253-261-8157

Burien: Fourth Ave around 152nd, downtown Burien. Opens May 13, runs Thursdays, 11-6.

EAST

Bellevue: Pace Fruit Stand, 2380 Bellevue Way S.E.. Open now, daily 9-7.

Redmond: 7730 Leary Way, Redmond. Opens May 1, runs Saturdays, 9-3, 425-556-0636. www.redmondsaturdaymarket.homestead.com.

Woodinville: 13205 N.E. 175th St., Woodinville Opened April 17, runs Saturdays, 425-485-1042.

SOON TO OPEN?? SUBJECT TO PERMITS: Bellevue, Presbyterian Church at 1717 Bellevue Way N.E., supposed to open June 17 and run Thursdays, 11-3. 425-454-8474

Bothell: Country Village, 23730 Bothell-Everett Hwy, Bothell. Opens May 21, runs Fridays, 10-3, 425-483-2250. www.countryvillagebothell.com.

Kirkland: Park Lane East in downtown Kirkland. Opens April 28, runs Wednesdays, 11-6, 425-485-1042, www.kirklanddowntown.org.

Issaquah: Pickering Barn, 1730 10th Ave. N.W., opened April 17, runs Saturdays, 9-2, 425-837-3311, www.ci.issaquah.wa.us.

NEW THIS YEAR!! Carnation: Tolt Avenue and Bird Street. Opens June 15, runs Tuesdays, 3-7, 425-788-3089, www.ci.carnation.wa.us/farmersmarket.

North Bend: North Bend Senior Center, 411 Main Ave. S., (exit 31 off of I-90). opens June 12, runs Saturdays, 9-1, 425-888-3434

SEATTLE

Ballard: Ballard Avenue. yearround, Sundays, 10-4, 206-781-6776, www.fremontmarket.com.

Fremont: located at North 34th near the Aurora Bridge. yearround, Sundays, 10-5, 206-781-6776, www.fremontmarket.com.

(go to www.seattlefarmersmarkets.org. for info on W. Seattle, Columbia City, Magnolia, Lake City and U-Dist markets, they're managed by the same place):

West Seattle: located at the corner of Alaska and 44th Street Southwest at the Alaska Junction. Opens May 15, runs Sundays, 10-2.

Columbia City: Columbia Plaza, 4801 Rainier Ave. S., Seattle. Opens May 19, runs Wednesdays, 3-7

Magnolia: Magnolia Community Center, 2550 34th Ave. W., Seattle. Opens June 12, runs Saturdays, 10-2

Lake City: Northeast 127th and 30th Northeast, Seattle. Opens May 27, runs Thursdays, 3-7.

U-Dist: Northeast 50th Street at “The Ave.” Opens May 22, runs Saturdays, 9-2.

TACOMA/PIERCE/WAY THE HECK SOUTH

Puyallup: , Pioneer Park Pavillion, 330 S. Meridian St. Opens May 1, runs Saturdays, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. (and Thursdays later summer) www.puyallupmainstreet.com/farmersmarket.html.

T.H.E. Farmers Market, University Place: 3501 Bridgeport Way, OPens May 1, runs Saturdays, 9-2, www.thefarmersmarket.us.

Tacoma Proctor: North 27th Street at Proctor, Opens May 1, runs Saturdays, 9-2, www.proctorfarmersmarket.com.

Downtown Tacoma: located between Ninth and 11th Streets on Broadway, Tacoma. Opens June 5, runs Thursdays, 9-2, www.tacomafarmersmarket.com.

Know of any others? Do I have any info wrong? Please post here :biggrin:

-- Frank Bruni

No market in White Center this year? :unsure: I wish Renton would go back to being on Saturdays too...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Bainbridge Island Farmer's Market, Saturdays, 9-1 at City Hall. Last week: veggies (mostly organic, also including veggie starts for your garden), cut flowers, baked goods, tamales, jams and salsas, fresh juice, assorted plants, goat cheese, honey, and a range of crafts (pottery, glass/beads, jewelry, homemade lotions and potions). . . and music. Fun day trip if the weather's nice.

Link here: http://www.bainbridgefarmersmarket.com/

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Has anyone been to the Columbia City market in the after work-ish timeframe? I'd love to hit it on the way home, but don't want to drive that far out of the way if they're going to be rolling up the sidewalks (or mostly picked-over) by 6.

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Has anyone been to the Columbia City market in the after work-ish timeframe? I'd love to hit it on the way home, but don't want to drive that far out of the way if they're going to be rolling up the sidewalks (or mostly picked-over) by 6.

~Anita

I've had good luck going there towards the end of the day. Some vendors are running out of stuff, but there always seems to be enough left to make it worthwhile. If all else fails, you can have dinner at La Medusa or now, Tutta Bella.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

No market in White Center this year? :unsure: I wish Renton would go back to being on Saturdays too...

YES! Somehow I skipped the White Center market on my list.

White Center opens June 25 and runs Saturdays 10-2. Located at 98th Street, between 15th and 16th S.W. 206-694-1082

I also see on a list I found that Vashon Island has a market: opened earlier this month, runs Saturdays and Wednesdays 9-1, located near Bank Road and Vashon Highway S.W. 206-567-4548.

-- Frank Bruni

just a tip if you go to vashon - i planted tomatoes i got at the nice-ish grocery store there last year and they were absolutely spectacular...i plan to go back this year. the yellow cherry tomatoes in particular had a great yield and the best flavor.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

None in Capitol Hill? I seem to remember at the end of last season that there were plans to open one there, and I've been appropriately excited about it all year. Can it be that I've been living a lie?

Why there isn't one in Capitol Hill this year:

We have been working very hard since last September to get a Farmers

Market started in the Capitol Hill neighborhood in 2004.  There is definitely

strong interest and support within the community, but we have had to

deal with some difficult problems.  Most pressing has been the challenge of

finding a location in this crowded neighborhood that would allow enough

room for vendors, and also adhere to the City's and Fire Department's codes

for street closure and fire truck access.

Unfortunately, we've had to eliminate the original locations we've been

working on.  Meanwhile, time is advancing, and we don't yet have a

viable alternative location.  At our last board meeting of the Neighborhood

Farmers Market Alliance, board members gave us a deadline of April 1st to secure

a site, but it has just not been possible.  So, it is with regret that

we have decided to postpone the opening of the Broadway Farmers Market

until next year.  In the meantime we will be working with Broadway BIA

and community stakeholders on finding a new Market location that will

benefit vendors, integrate well with the community, and meet all city

requirements.  Please contact us if you have any questions.  We will

keep your name and email address on our list, so that you will receive

updates later this year as we plan for 2005. We thank you for your

continued interest and support.

Best Regards,

Janet Hurt

Neighborhood Farmers Market Alliance

4519 1/2 University Way NE, suite 202

Seattle, WA  98105

206-632-5234

www.seattlefarmersmarkets.org

Edited by laurel (log)

• 3 months later...

If you can get over there RIGHT NOW (I'm typing at 10:15 am) the U District Farmers Market is hosting their annual cooking competition featuring

Joseph Jimenez de Jimenez of HARVEST VINE

vs.

John Sundstrom of LARK

We had to leave due to other obligations, but saw both chefs setting off to select their produce. I'm sure it will be great. Last summer or the one before, Matthew and I watched the chefs from the Herbfarm and Cafe Lago face off. Watching the cooking process and what they chose to make was entertaining and instructive.

We bought peaches, onions, green beans, tomatillos, and jalapenos at the market today (also duck legs from USP).

U District Farmers Market Calendar of Events

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Laurie AB - Sorry to have missed the contest at the University Market yesterday, I will have to watch for that next year.

Thougt I would add my favorite Farmer's Market to the list...

Olympia Farmer's Market - open Thursday - Sunday, 10 to 3pm, April 1 through December 20ish. Located at the far north end of Capitol Way in downtown Olympia. (Capitol Way is the street that runs the length of Olympia in front of the Legislative Buildings). Features organic produce, both local and from Yakima, lots of fresh seafood from Crown Seafood vendor, oysters, clams, a dozen + chow vendors, two bakeries, flowers, plants, a few crafts, nut trees, berry bushes, cheeses. Chow wagons include crabcakes, soba noodles, homemade pastas, and the world's best meatball sandwich from Carlotta's Pasta Wagon, who knew?

Thanks again for the comprehensive list, GC, I will be checking out the West Seattle market soon.

Pup (aka Olympia Jane)

>>If you can get over there RIGHT NOW (I'm typing at 10:15 am) the U District Farmers Market is hosting their annual cooking competition featuring

Joseph Jimenez de Jimenez of HARVEST VINE

vs.

John Sundstrom of LARK<<

We watched the competition as we are HUGE Sundstrom fans. Very fun, have been making Jonathons little fruit salad all week only using creme fraiche instead of yogurt. I was happy to see how much the chefs interacted with the audience, passing out samples, taking questions, etc.

Chez Jimenez was making some very gorgeous dishes that reminded us of the food we had in the Basque region just last month.

We live just down the street so the market is our Sat. morning ritual. My husband can't go a week without that struedel. If you see a very tall 6'6" handsome 30 something year old man with his much shorter blonde wife say hi, it's us!!