• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edison area

Curlz

I'm meeting one of my favorite volunteers for lunch on Monday; he works in Woodbridge, I'm coming from New Brunswick. His thoughts: "It will be easiest to meet at one of the restaurants on Route 1 in the Edison area, which is close to the Parkway. You have your choice of Bennigan's, Steak and Ale, Pizzeria Uno, Macaroni Grill or White Castle (just kidding), all of which are between the Menlo Park Mall and the Parkway, or Charlie Browns at the Woodbridge Mall, which is just north of the Parkway on Route 1." Well, you can guess MY reaction...ugh. Is there anything else in that corridor that's DECENT?

This is a guy who actually likes good food (and wine), so if you can offer any other ideas, I'd be MOST appreciative! Doesn't need to be fancy, and shouldn't be too expensive. I'm familiar with Oak Tree Rd and the Indian restaurants but I'm not sure if he likes that kind of food.

Throw 'em at me, folks! And thanks in advance. :smile:

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

If you are willing to venture a bit off Rt 1, LouCas is excellent for lunch - BYO - and reasonably priced. We take clients there regularly.

http://www.loucasrestaurant.com/

Ming and Moghul do lunch as well.

http://www.moghul.com/edison/index.html

http://www.mingrestaurants.com/contactus.htm

Bill

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

I'm meeting one of my favorite volunteers for lunch on Monday; he works in Woodbridge, I'm coming from New Brunswick.  His thoughts:  "It will be easiest to meet at one of the restaurants on Route 1 in the Edison area, which is close to the

This is a guy who actually likes good food (and wine), so if you can offer any other ideas, I'd be MOST appreciative!  Doesn't need to be fancy, and shouldn't be too expensive.  I'm familiar with Oak Tree Rd and the Indian restaurants but I'm not sure if he likes that kind of food. 

Throw 'em at me, folks!  And thanks in advance.  :smile:

Curlz

I'm sure others may have some specific recommendations, but how about considering Metuchen as a midpoint? Just hop on Eoute 27. You should be able to find something suitable along that way...

Maybe this might be a good time to visit Harold's deli, before the sandwich gets any bigger

harold-pastrami-new26.jpg

(Well, I couldn't resist.) Still, it might be one of your better options there. As far as I've ever experienced, everything there is delicious, not just big.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Don't forget Mie Thai on Main St in Woodbridge - great Thai food, and good lunch specials.

[edit: Ok, I got carried away - that should read 'great Thai food', not 'great Thai good' !]

Edited by jb_973 (log)

Unfortunately, both Ming and Mogul are closed on Mondays.  :sad:

I would agree that LouCas is a good choice as well.

Agree with Food Snob, Bill and Rosie. LouCas is best in that area.

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

Thanks, everyone! LouCas had completely slipped my mind...it's been at least 10 years since I was last there, but that works great for both of us. Feel free to keep ideas coming, as of course, I'm willing to change my mind if the mood strikes. :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Jack Cooper's deli in the Tano Mall just off Rt 1 on Amboy Avenue. Haven't been there in a while but it used to be pretty good.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Seems like you want to stay away from chains, but I like Rosie's recom. of Cheesecake Factory, they really have something for every taste bud. Also, Jose Tejas closer to Woodbridge Mall is a personal favorite, IMHO.

Thanks...I really do prefer to stay out of the chains if possible, esp b/c they can get really LOUD at lunchtime! LouCas is a great solution for us. :smile:

Meant to post about this last night--my apologies! Worked out great--the location was easy for each of us, and we had a tasty although not knock-you-out lunch. Far too much food, so I have enough leftover pasta for TWO lunches! :cool: We shared the fried calamari, then I had cavatappi with rock shrimp, mushrooms and asparagus; he had the penne vodka with shrimp. My dish was (is) yummy, and I loved the lemon/garlic sauce on it, but I don't understand why the rock shrimp needed to be breaded--that's my only complaint. And seriously--does each portion really require a pound of pasta??? CRAZY.

Service was very good, but I will say that we were seated at a 2-top right next to a group of 4 and then they seated a 3-top right next to us; no need for that when the place is only about 1/3 full (we got there after 1pm). And best of all, he refused to let me pay the bill (about $50 for the two of us with tip)! Thanks again for the recommendation/reminder about LouCa's, y'all. :smile: