• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Round 25: Cheese, please!

It’s all about theme here, in the smelliest Smackdown ever -- an essay about Ementhaler, a story about St. Andre, a chat about Cheddar, or Cabrales, or Kraft Singles. Give us a limerick about Limerick, a memoire about Morbier., a long scientific piece about artisanal cheese making, your childhood trip to the monastery at Oka…

Let’s hear about your affair with Assiago, your passion for Parm, your sneaker for Velveeta, (or it’s Federal giveaway equivalent: “Welfare Cheese,.” or in my cop neighbor’s house “Police Cheese”. I’ve heard Southern food folks call it “Arkansas Brie.” My neighbor gave me five pounds of the stuff and my then- toddler daughter loved her grilled cheese sandwiches. I did too.)

Understand: you choose the form. If you’re writing a “Sideways-like” screenplay about Chevre, not Pinot Noir, bring it on. If you have a cheesy cheese joke, it counts -- so does your dissertation about the influence of Grandfather’s raclette on the inner life of Heidi. Or, Fellas: Want to take this quote from Jonathan Swift for a starting point? “Bachelor’s fare: bread, cheese and kisses.”

Length: Ten words to ten thousand, as long as it tickles our noses and brain cells. Deadline: May 30th.

Post your entries here.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Well, I'll be dipped. The Times food section was heavily cheese -oriented today, and I checked the latest Saveur at the newstand, -- it was all about American artisanal cheese. Such are the powers of your Dark Lady that she can retroactively set the tone for the food press.

And, hand to heart, no lie, I've read better cheese scrivening right here at eGullet. Pull out that sack of cheese curds and start scribbling.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com