• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Restaurant : Jun I

Thesorus

Out of the ashes of the "Club Des Pins" location ...

I just passed in front of it ... without warning, a new restaurant is nearly openned as far as I could see.

any more info ?

3 new restaurant nearly on the same corner, Raza, Pesce and this new one ...

Out of the ashes of the "Club Des Pins" location ...

I just passed in front of it ... without warning, a new restaurant is nearly openned as far as I could see.

any more info ?

3 new restaurant nearly on the same corner, Raza, Pesce and this new one ...

Well, it's a sushi bar for one thing and I think they've been open for a week of so. I had a quick look at the posted menu, and it appears to be sushi by the piece (I think $4 to $9 apiece?) and two tasting menus (featuring amberjack) for something like $40 and $55. Not sure what else is on the menu nor what they have on their wine list.

The room looks to be all creams (very soft colors). Guess it'll go on the "to visit" list.

Another one ?!!

Another sushi/asian mix'n'match replaced Ginza ...

Could be. This essentially makes Raza the only non-fish-centric opening on the south side of Laurier. Italian seafood, Nuevo Latino, Japanese.

Oh - if you're interested, I think Pesce has a main that goes for about the same price as Raza and Jun-I's tasting menus.

This just in from the PR people:

The name Junichi Ikematsu may escape you, but memories of his exquisite cuisine as executive Chef for Soto restaurants linger on. Soto is no more.

Juni is therefore most excited to announce the opening of his new restaurant Jun i located in the former premises of Club des Pins on the very epicurean Laurier Street.

His constant quest for new culinary orientations has given us a cornucopia of tastes. It is mostly Japanese, with a wink to the French.

The décor is a mix of Japanese minimalism and joie de vivre Québec style. Designer Jean-Pierre Viau’s warm colours and unusual décor captivate.

Menu prices are on a friendly scale. It is definitely a place to discover.

Moose, it's pretty much across the street from Lemeac.

Since when was Club des Pins across the street from Leméac? Methinks either you mean La Chronique instead of Leméac or you're confusing Jun-i with Ö Châ (or whatever the resto that has risen from Ginza's ashes is called). No?

I went there today ( well, just got back from there )...

for a speedy diner since I was alone.

up front, I like the place ...

The menu has 2 tasting menus ( $40 and $50 ), a couple of soups and salads, and a dozen or so of appetizers, and half a dozen of main entrees ( duck, beef, shrimps, ... ) and the usual selection of suchis ( and rolls ).

I'm not good at remembering every items on the menu, I will leave that as an exercise to others ...

But I know what I had ... and it's a first in a long time that I did not have fish in a sushi/japanese restaurant. execpt for the appetizer.

I had the 5 sashimi plate with 5 different sauces, nice, and well prepared and tasty, the highlight was the "Omble" served with what I was told real wasabi and soy ( or it might simply be horseradish, since I would not know the difference ).

As the main course, I had the duck; marinated grilled duck served with grilled mushrooms and fried japanese potatoes ( orange in colour ). that was really good; particulary the mushrooms.

and that was it, as I left, the restaurant was getting more crowded, and more lively.

Let's hope they last, I want to go back with some friends and try the tasting menus.

Since when was Club des Pins across the street from Leméac? Methinks either you mean La Chronique instead of Leméac

Since I get confused between Lemeac, La Chronique, Spag, Ardoise, Gascogne, the baby stores, Chayo, Anise...

I'm pretty good between south and north, I suck at est west.

LOL.

By the way, yesterday I noticed that L'Escale à Saigon, just west of La Chronique, had its windows covered with paper and the name on the awning had been painted over. Was in a bus and so couldn't investigate whether they've folded or are just renovating. Anyone know what's up?

LOL.

yes the restaurant L'escale a Saisgon close their doors 10 days ago.

Now its going to be a thai restaurant

its like 4 new restaurant open this year in that area

By the way, yesterday I noticed that L'Escale à Saigon, just west of La Chronique, had its windows covered with paper and the name on the awning had been painted over. Was in a bus and so couldn't investigate whether they've folded or are just renovating. Anyone know what's up?

Pesce.

I heard it was more than just sushi. I even think I looked at the menu. Funny. Can't remember a thing.

Pesce? I thought that was the Italian seafood place. No sushi that I was aware of from briefly glancing at the menu, but definitely a couple of big-ticket lobster items.

The Rising Sun on Laurier Avenue: Tastet raves about Jun i in today's Voir (the link will work only until the 26th, after which time you'll have to pull up the review from the archives).

Bien sûr, tout est très beau, étonnant, éblouissant et tout à fait jouissif. Mais, je pense aussi à votre porte-monnaie, et au mien dans une certaine mesure. L'avant-veille, j'avais donc mangé chez Jun i avec un budget plus modeste: 19 $. Une shiru (soupe), en l'occurrence une splendide miso aux champignons enoki et au tofu (4 $) et un plat de cinq sashimis du jour (15 $). Sur un long plateau en bois blond, quatre poissons différents - kampachi (sauriole), bar rayé de la Méditerranée, anguille de mer, omble de Nouvelle-Écosse - et de belles tranches fines de pieuvre, accompagnés de cinq sauces différentes et de cinq accompagnements de légumes tous très divertissants. Juste à me souvenir que pour le même prix, j'aurais pu être en train de prendre quelques sushis approximatifs dans une échoppe de bas étage, j'en avais des frissons.

[Of course, it's all beautiful, surprising, dazzling and absolutely delightful. But I'm also aware of your pocketbook and, to some degree, mine. So, a couple of days before, I ate at Jun i on a much smaller budget: $19. A shiru (soup), as it turned out a splendid miso with enoki mushrooms and tofu ($4), and a plate of five daily special sashimi ($15). On a long light-wood platter, four different fish — kampachi (amberjack), Mediterranean striped bass, conger, Nova Scotia char — and lovely fine slices of octopus accompanied by five different sauces and five highly entertaining vegetable accompaniments. Knowing that, for the same price, I could have been eating a few approximate sushi in a basement shop, well, it sent shivers up my spine.]

Edited by carswell (log)

First an abject apology to the lovely lady - Montreal. How could I have ever doubted that you did not have an expert knife man in your guard?

Last night I had the pleasure of sitting down at Juni's sushi bar and spend some time with Mr Ikematsu himself. Softspoken and humble, as befits an organized and skilled man, Junichuni is of top international caliber.

His new restaurant has clean and calm design elements and is nicely apointed using blond wood and light sienna tableware.

At first look I blanched as the chef and his sous-chef were busy preparing "Dynamite Rolls" with a final blistering with the blowtorch. Oh, no... not another roll whatever place, went through my head. The attractive young couple (well at lest the coifed, bronzaged and buffed Montreal female unit) at the bar inhaled them happily - when they were not busy inhaling each others lips. The young male clone pronunced the item "classic" and ask Mr Ikematsu where the name came from. A whistful smile past his face as he calmly wiped his blade an told them he did not know who came up with "Dyamamite roll".

I decided to follow the trail laid by Mr Tastet, and it was indeed a very good choice. The Miso Soup uses a mild white rich miso, and comes in a nice ceramic bowl. I started a with the 5 item sashimi augumented with a few Nigiri. Sadly Saba was not on the menu. The 5 sampler Sashimi combines top product selection, cutting and presentatio and excels in all. And, as was reviewd 3x5 suberb shashimi is $15! The selection were: Bio salmon from Vancouver, Arctic Char, Tasmanian Trout, Sea Bass and Octopus. Next to each item was spoon presentatin of 5 differenet sauces, Plum, Fresh wasabi, Ginger honey(?), Wasabi salt and I forget the 5th. All excellent.

Take note: The tasmanian trout is outstanding. I have never had this before. Had to indulge in a second 2 pieces. The chef marinates whole fish pieces, skin on, in "salt". You do not taste that, just a very rich sashmi.

In spite of all the noise about farmed salmon the Vancouver Bio salmon was extremely tender and cut in a handsome thick unctous slices. The Chefs knife skills are the best I have tasted in Montreal.

The Hamachi Nigiri was ok and to get with the modern program asked I the chef to make a SMALL roll of his choice. He offered a very nice "Spicy Scallops" rice out roll of managable diameter. It was Montreal palate spicy - i.e. not.

Slicing of dicon, carrots etc are well executed. They have cute cuttings of regular red radishes, which strips come out translucent/white with with red tips.

The menu has several non sashimi/Sushi items. Duck seems prevalent but I did not pursue that part of the menu.

So - it's settled:

Quality comfortably over any other an other Monreal sushi bar I've been to. Sashimi seems to be a strenght, traditional Nigiri maybe less so. (I guess it's no longer ordered by the younger crowd so skills & inventory suffers. Fancy rolls for same crowd. Non-sushi dishes to be explored.

Lastly: NO MONTREAL GAMBLING FORM for ordering sushi!!! Yeah! What is up with that anyway??

Bravo!

Oops, needed to edit that post but now it won't let me... another fascist board "rule" or me being ignorant? In any case, managed a double negative. First line should be...

"First an abject apology to the lovely lady - Montreal. How could I have ever have doubted that you had an expert knife man in your guard?"

Sorry about all the typos.... usually manage to edit those out but, alas no edit button...

mmm... great review. Thanks sf&m. I'll have to make it a point to stop by for some sashimi. FINALLY a place in Montreal that we can maybe rely on for skill and quality in the Japanese department! Is Jun I open 7days/week?

• 4 weeks later...

Went back to Juni a week ago Saturday..... at 10:45 pm no less - they close the kitchen at 11:00.! I know - how inconsiderate can you be?! But when the Sushi Jones hits - it hits - and waking up at 10:15 from a nap after an exhausting day - I had them. Rush off and a perfect parking spot across the street made my entrance "in time". Juni and his second Mr Micho Kino fed me well.

- The 5 sashimi again. No Tasmanian Trout left :(. But what to expect at 11, when they are closing for the week?

- Tried a hot dish. Monkfish with japanese Eggplant. Superb. A small piece of tempura monkfish mounted on a 1" x 3/4" inch rondell of eggplant which was unctiously braised(?). And ah, discovered the secret tweak, small mushrooms logged between the fish and the eggplant. Served with a sweet/salt/fruity sauce. Rich but clear in melanged flavours. 3 pieces per dish. Much recommended.

- Also had the seeweed "salad" - 5(?) different seeweds served on the same wooden linear tray as the Sashimi. Colors from purple to several shades of green from light to almost black. Great as sashimi interludes. Would be enough for two.

- In spite of time Juni gratiously put together another special sashmi order, superbly balanced and cut, especially considering the limited inventory left. A true professional.

BTW : Juni is reviewed in Saturday's La Presse. From what my limited language skills could gather it was favourable. I think he did make a mark for the "musac" - I did notice too it was a bit intrusive. But not by any means anything that should keep you away. Maybe it's the younger crowd he feels he needs to appease with noise. Juni's is certaily stylish enough and the food speaks for itself without any extra entertainment.

• 3 months later...

I went there again last night, decided to skip the sushi and go for the $50 tasting menu.

in one word : EXCELLENT

started with a trio of calamari, marinated, fried and sauted, then sashimi with small fruit salad; after that, a wonderfull fried croquette of oyster and crab; and for the main plate of the tasting menu, was a version of "hamburger-steak" made with ontario kobe beef, with root vegetables and a meat reduction sauce and mushrooms, all presented in a papillote, very, very good; after that, a small sampling of sushis, and finished the meal with a apple pudding and vanilla ice cream served with a great confit citrus marmelade.

very good!!! I'm impressed by that restaurant; a good balance of traditional sushi and japanese food with a good amount of french touch cuisine and presentation.

as always, service is good.