• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Inn At Little Washington's "Siberia"

Joe H

On another thread there are several allusions to the Inn at Little Washington and its over the top stage designer ambience. What many people may not know is that there is a "corridor" in the Inn with approximately five or six two seater tables that is so narrow, when they roll their cow shaped cheesecart down it, diners at several of these tables must physically stand up and push their chairs in for the cart to pass.

My wife and I had an anniversary dinner there last year and saw this happen three or four times. Considering that Friday and Saturday night is now $168 prix fixe it would be outrageous to spend $500+ for dinner for two and be seated there. We were shocked that the Inn, given its reputation and (for some) sumptuous over the top luxury, would expect anyone to sit in a situation like this.

The Inn has several dining rooms/areas; I would suggest that one's particular experience could vary greatly depending on where you were seated.

I've been twice - once in what is probably the main dining room with the red banquettes and once on what is probably like a sun room area. The latter was preferable in terms of decor but was still a very 'floral' experience.

I guess I just prefer the feel of a more modern, spartan room.

But then jenrus liked the rich colors and fabrics in the main dining room. To each his/her own.

Bill Russell

On another thread there are several allusions to the Inn at Little Washington and its over the top stage designer ambience.  What many people may not know is that there is a "corridor" in the Inn with approximately five or six two seater tables that is so narrow, when they roll their cow shaped cheesecart down it, diners at several of these tables must physically stand up and push their chairs in for the cart to pass.

That would be unacceptable.

We sat in the main room when we went.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I generally call these types of spaces the "Enchanted Grotto" after an episode of Frasier where the bother opened a restaurant (les Freres Hereux) and they called the table by the bathroom the Enchanted Grotto to give it some cachet.

Bill Russell

Tom's Chat today had three different people report less than stellar experiences at "The Inn." For myself I have heard of almost no one who has not had very positive experiences at Maestro, Citronelle and Laboratorio, all three of which seem remarkably consistent. Yet I know a number of people who feel differently about "The Inn" along with several who consider it one of their best overall experiences anywhere. There seems to be no middle ground when spending $500 plus on a weekend.

There seems to be no middle ground when spending $500 plus on a weekend.

I think that this is true for most people. If the experience is less than spectacular it is generally disappointing at or around this price point. For people with more money to burn or for whom this price point is the usual that may not apply.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The thing that royally pisses me off about the Inn is the banquettes that bisect the room that clearly had been designed for four tables (because there are 4 lamps hanging down from it) has 6 tables crammed in there. You are literally on top of the table next to you. The fact that the food is more precious to look at than to eat is another. I think Patrick O'Connell is a fine chef, certainly has created a special oasis in the desert. But I think it might be time for him and his partner to re-invent the Inn at Little Washington, cause it sure isn't what it used to be...

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

—George W. Bush in Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000