• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Killer Cocktails

slkinsey

That looks like a great place.  Their menus are a hoot!  I didn't know that Korbel was a brandy.  Is that something regional?

Along with their sparkling wines, Korbel makes a domestic brandy that is pretty widely available.

I always stuck with my initial-sake E & J brandy when I was younger, though never quite progressed as far as making brandy Cock-tails with it. Usually just brandy and whatever soda in the dorm vending machine seemed most appealing at the time. Brandy and Ginger Ale is not bad. Brandy and Mr. Pibb, on the other hand, is a "Killer Cocktail" but not in a good way. I also cannot recommend orange soda or root beer.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

...If any of you does get to Madison, WI, I recently learned of a Tavern called The Old Fashioned.  Their drinks menu includes 6 "Old Fashioned" cocktails, including the aforementioned Brandy version....

Erik, thanks for the tip. I don't have any plans to be in Madcity anytime soon but I will be sure to keep The Old Fashioned in mind. Wonder if they have any rye on hand?...

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

• 3 years later...

I finally grabbed a copy of this book a couple of weeks ago, and wanted to join in the chorus of approval here. What strikes me as most admirable is the book's ability to serve both new-comers (for whom this would be the ideal first cocktail book) and enthusiasts. Along with the Rogue book, it's my favorite recent cocktail read, brimming with interesting ideas.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts