• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jewish Paris

I'm interested in doing a bit of a cultural tour around those bits of Paris that either have historically had Jewish communities or currently have a large Jewish population. I'd particularly like to draw on this Board's knowledge for kosher restaurants and kosher food shops. I'm also interested to know in which arrondisment the majority of kosher shops/restaurants are. I know historically the Marais had a large Jewish population but my impression (perhaps incorrectly) is that this is no longer the case, although some restaurants and shops remain.

All help gratefully received.

Before I went to Paris, I read this for a great deal of insight and historical background:

the article from the Jewish Virtual Library ..

but as to how updated the recent information actually is, I am still uncertain.

While I was in Paris about two years ago, I visited Chez Goldenberg on the rue de Rosiers, a popular spot for spicy kosher-style cooking, and was pleased with the food as well as the ambiance.

more on the area of the Marais and the Jewish population there

Jews still crowd the rue des Rosiers, rue de Temple, and rue de Turenne. Despite this emptiness, the Marais continues to thrive. It is a living symbol of the contradictions, ironies, and continuity of Jewish existence in the 20th century.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'm interested in doing a bit of a cultural tour around those bits of Paris that either have historically had Jewish communities or currently have a large Jewish population.  I'd particularly like to draw on this Board's knowledge for kosher restaurants and kosher food shops.  I'm also interested to know in which arrondisment the majority of kosher shops/restaurants are.  I know historically the Marais had a large Jewish population but my impression (perhaps incorrectly) is that this is no longer the case, although some restaurants and shops remain.

All help gratefully received.

Yes, the Marais (4th) is where to go. There are 2 Goldenberg's, one in the 4th and the other is in the 17th. Timeout also lists l'As du Fallafel, Chez Marianne, Pitchi Poi, Les Ailes + Benittah. Emmanuel Rubin's Gourmet Paris also lists Le Train de Vie, Au Puits de Jacob, Hamman Cafe, l'Auberge de Belleville, Lotus de Nissan, Yunpana, Bistro Blanc, Natanya, Chez Jonatrhan, Mi-Va-Mi, Cafe des Psaumes, Chekel Cafe, + a la Libanese .

Except for Goldenberg's from which I've had take-out I cannot counsel you.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Be sure not to miss the wonderful Museum of Judaic Art & History on 71, rue du Temple in the 4th. A beautiful restored "hotel", there are changing exhibits as well as a lot of Paris' Jewish heritage.

During WWII, France saved 2/3 of their Jewish population which was about 600,000 at the time. They did it quietly and individually with small heroic acts by common folks and the Résistance. It is an ongoing source of argument re France's treatment of Jews historically and today. This museum adds some important dimensions to the discussion.

Be sure not to miss the wonderful Museum of Judaic Art & History on 71, rue du Temple in the 4th.  A beautiful restored "hotel", 

Yes. And the new Museum of the Shoah, 17 rue Geoffroy l’Asnier in the 4th is also worth a visit as is the Memorial to the Deportation which is just at the SE end of the Ile de la Cite facing Notre Dame.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

at l'as du felafel, on rue des rosiers, be sure to get the delux felafel, the one with everything. it comes with eggplant, the plain ones are not as gaudily delicious.

museums recommended really great. if you're on rue des rosier any time near a jewish holiday there is usually a very festival spirit. at chanukka chabadnicks sometimes give out little chanukkiot. and the bakery, oh what is the name, it starts with an S, makes special chanukka treats, and the women in there are a laugh.

you can get H and H bagels on rue de turenne, there are a couple of pleasant jewish cafes there. there is a kosher sushi place not far, but i forget the name. when i was there last, about 6-8 months ago, many of the young observant jews said they did not wear their kippot (and kept their tzitzes tucked into their trousers) as they were not safe on the street if they had obvious signs of being jewish. isn't that sad.

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

The most well-known bakery on the Rue des Rosiers is Florence Finkelstajn, famous for strudel, cheesecake, and "Pletzls".  (Fabulous)

This place is fabulous. I still remember gorging on their stuff.

You should check Sedar Olam out. It's a great resource for kosher restaurants and markets.

I've been told Juliette is excellent. Plus, if the Cine Citta in Surfside, FL is any indication, the original in Paris should be very good as well.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 2 years later...

The pletzls are beyond delicious. When returning home from Paris I always stop to get at least a half dozen for the plain. A pletzl with sweet butter and most any kind of cheese beats anything you can get on a plane.