• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast Near Silver Spring Metro

For the true flavor of Silver Spring: TASTEE DINER.

AMEN

Failing that, there is a Starbucks and an Einstein Bros bagel shop just south of the Metro (as in almost under) on the west side of Colesville Rd.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

How bout trying Eggspectations?

No one else has been brave enough to dine there yet.

Tastee Diner is probably your best bet. It's less than a 1/4 mile from the north exit of Metro and right across the street from a public parking garage.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Been to Eggspectations - it's good food for those who want your standard breakfast and lunch stuff.  Nothing amazing or awe-inspiring.  I wasn't impressed.

What's wrong with Mayorga?  Did something happen?

Just had a totally mediocre meal at Mayorga with what had to be the worst service ever.

Thanks for the report on Eggspectations...

Jennifer

Huh, I've never experienced horribly bad service there - well, there was this one time this idiot of a server grilled me about my ethnicity after looking at my last name on the credit card and was trying to tell me about my people.

(Long story short, I had to control my fist of fury.)

But they have great coffee and a good cheese platter (for a coffeeshop).

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

If you're in a car and have a little more time, it's not too far from downtown Silver Spring to the Parkway Deli or Red Dog Cafe on Grubb Rd. The 1 and 11 buses go from Silver Spring metro down East-West Hwy to Bethesda metro, so you could conceivably hop one of them and pull the cord when you get to Grubb Road. Turn left onto Grubb (that's South) and the two places are in the shopping center a block down on your left. Parkway serves Jewish standards like lox or whitefish salad and acceptable egg dishes, while Red Dog has a jumping juice bar to start your morning.

I'd like to put in a good word for Eggspectations. Haute cuisine it isn't, but I think it's a pretty good choice if you're looking for breakfast or lunch. No complaints about the service or atmosphere (pretty cool open kitchen design as I recall). I can recommend the omelette with apples (omelette normande?).

Edited by richbon (log)