• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copper River Salmon

It's my understanding that saltwater species are generally safe to eat raw, but freshwater and anadromous fish may have various parasites. I've been told that most of these are large enough to be seen, so if you're worried, look closely at the fish.

For more details, take at look at this UC Davis info.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

In the Northwest, what is the duration of the period during which CRS is available retail?

Also, does CRS king roe (or CRS sockeye roe) taste special (the former was available earlier this week at Esca, NYC)?

I grilled some CRS salmon this past weekend w/a glaze of mayo/grainy mustard/toasted mustard seeds/fresh dill and a bit of brown sugar

quite good

If I come across more, I'll probably just grill it w/a little olive oil s&p and a fresh lemon

mmmm

Challah back!

cabrales, the CRS season is 3-4 weeks long, starting in mid-May.  There is always a wild rush to see which supermarket can be the first to offer it, and most of them spend that first day cooking it and giving away free samples.

I haven't tried the roe.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Also, does CRS king roe (or CRS sockeye roe) taste special (the former was available earlier this week at Esca, NYC)?

cabrales, you bring up a very interesting point, which I had not thought of before.  Salmon roe is delicious, but I can't say that I have heard of CRS roe being marketed.  A good question to ask our fish monger.  Thanks.

I've only had salmon roe at sushi restaurants and I can't say that I prefer it over other roes like flying fish roe. The roe is so big and so salty that it's a little too overpowering. Though as a salt lover, I can definitely see the appeal.

My favorite way to eat salmon roe is on thin sliced rustic bread to which a thin smeer of unsalted butter has been added.  This is very popular with the American Russian community, too.  The bread & butter cuts the saltiness of the roe.

I find that sake does a better job of cutting the saltiness. Then some more sake, then some albacore, then some sawagani, then some live sweet shrimp (still twitching) . . .

mmmmm, sweet shrimp . . .

Huh? Where am I?

When I do salmon at home, my favorite way to prepare it is smoked as well!

Linda, when you say you lightly smoke it, how do you mean? Duration of cooking? A lightly flavored wood like alder or apple wood?

I've had the best results (so far) with maple wood, at around 150 to 175 degrees F for an hour and a half. How about you? I'll grant you though, I've been primarily cooking with maple and haven't had a chance to "spread my wings."

By the way, I noticed that you used lime on your salmon. I like lime much better with salmon than lemon. As a matter of fact, there isn't anything you can do with a lemon that isn't better with lime (except for a caesar salad, I've tried, but you have to have REALLY good lemons).

Lightly smoked means I smoke it for approximately 1 hour in the smoker. The texture is more like a baked or poached salmon. I use cherry wood because we have a lot from an old cherry orchard that my husband took down to put in pinot noir grapes.

Yes, I agree with you on using lime juice. Here is my recipe for smoked salmon:  Linda's Smoked Salmon

Linda Stradley

• 1 month later...

I know this is prolly really late so I'll just post mine anyways (BBQ salmon that's almost smoked ;)

Dry marinaded my CRS in brown sugar, little salt, covered in the fridge. Pull it out (the moisture in the salmon pretty much turned the rub into a syrup), cooked in on the 'que until it was done. Get some nice sweetness of the brown sugar into the flesh of the salmon and the salt just helps pull some of the water out of the flesh (not too much salt!).

I'd do it over low-medium heat on a gas grill, wish I had time to fire up the charcoal grill at my apartment complex...

I'd do it over low-medium heat on a gas grill, wish I had time to fire up the charcoal grill at my apartment complex...

Skie, have you tried a chiminey starter before? You can get coals that are fully ready to use in 15 minutes and it only takes a couple of minutes for the grill to warm up after you throw the coals on. The chimney has completely turned around how I use a weber, I grill far more often than I would without.

Skie, have you tried a chiminey starter before?

Nope, we bought one a few weeks ago, but I'm always itching to use it, cept the gas grill outside is just so easy to just *turn* *turn* *light*.

Ahh... Chimney starters.... I still refer to it as a "Jet Engine" (see "Chimney Tuna Loin" recipe from Alton Brown's TV Show "Good Eats" :)

Guess I should get started on my chimney starter ;)

I may be repeating myself, but I often cook salmon just like skie, except I add something to the fire to generate smoke (also cook w/indirect heat, skin side down, no flip).

We used smoke salmon after an overnight brine of brown sugar and salt, and cooking like this evokes those taste memories. It's also very good.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

• 9 months later...

Probably everyone already knows CRS is here late Wednesday/early Thursday, blah blah blah.

As always, please post prices and locations here. I found last year's discussion invaluable for getting the best deal on what has become a really expensive fish thanks to the marketing and global demand (dammit).

I might even shop at Safeway if the price is low enough (ha!), but only with someone else's card :wink: I'm hoping Costco will have a good deal again this year like last year.

With all the great wild salmon out of Oregon (?) right now, I won't be paying a premium for CRS when I can get wild king for half (or less even) right now. I'm happy to let the prices come down from the $25-$35 per pound I've heard quoted so far. Yikes. My food budget don't like that.

Edited by girl chow (log)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I might even shop at Safeway if the price is low enough (ha!), but only with someone else's card  :wink:  I'm hoping Costco will have a good deal again this year like last year.

With all the great wild salmon out of Oregon (?) right now, I won't be paying a premium for CRS when I can get wild king for half (or less even) right now. I'm happy to let the prices come down from the $25-$35 per pound I've heard quoted so far. Yikes. My food budget don't like that.

I'm not sure if it is the case with all Safeway stores, but the Admiral district Safeway has never required you to use their card to get the sale price on their seafood. The sale price is already marked on the package by the seafood department and that's what gets rung up. :wink:

girlchow, I'm totally with you on avoiding the exhorbitant $25+/lb CRS prices (which is what Admiral Thriftway was estimating it to start out at when I talked to them a week ago). I'll go for regular Wild King until the prices start falling on the CRS a week or so later. I heard last year prices were much lower than usual because it was a very good run. Lets hope this year is the same.

I'm not sure if it is the case with all Safeway stores, but the Admiral district Safeway has never required you to use their card to get the sale price on their seafood.  The sale price is already marked on the package by the seafood department and that's what gets rung up.  :wink:

girlchow, I'm totally with you on avoiding the exhorbitant $25+/lb CRS prices (which is what Admiral Thriftway was estimating it to start out at when I talked to them a week ago).  I'll go for regular Wild King until the prices start falling on the CRS a week or so later. I heard last year prices were much lower than usual because it was a very good run.  Lets hope this year is the same.

Thanks BH! I didn't know that. I stopped shopping at Safeway eons ago and didn't know I could go cardless for seafood :biggrin:

Shielke, I think it took a week for prices to come down $5 a pound last year, but my memory is hazy. It's almost impossible to predict until the fish hits the market.

But if everyone starts posting when/where they see it and how much it costs, that's a great way of catching the bargains. Last year's conversation was fantastic.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Admiral Thriftway in W. Seattle:

CRS King fillet $23.99/lb

CRS King steaks $19.99/lb.

Jacques Boiroux was grilling and serving CRS yesterday just outside the Thriftway store... very yummy. Hadn't seen him in a long time, and he is as sweet and wonderful as ever. I learned through the grapevine he is also part owner of Admiral/Queen Ann Thriftway now.

Another bit of Thriftway news... in July, the Queen Anne, Admiral and Proctor (Tacoma) Thriftways will all have a new name... They will be called Metropolitan Market. Also this Fall, there will be a new Thriftway store (same owners as those 3 stores) by Children's Hospital in Seattle, and next year a Thriftway in Federal Way. (Actually they will also be called Metropolitan Markets, then, too.)

What are prices around town for CRS?

Edited by Blue Heron (log)

Copper River salmon prices this weekend at New Seasons Markets in Portland...

sockeye $16.99/lb

chinook (or king) $22.99/lb

I talked with the folks at Briney Sea (based in Tumwater, but they sell at the Portland Farmers Market), and they said prices should drop a little by next week as more fish come on the market. The first catch was from a limited entry, 4-hour fishery.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food