• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Monica Bhide - Thoughts without a thinker

:smile: Dinner is served. For those who cooked along, I hope you enjoyed it!

I am posting pics now and then going to join my guests. Will be back on later tonite.

Monica's Raspberry Walnut salad -- On a bed of fresh baby spinach add raspberries, blackberries, red radishes, tomatoes, walnuts and anything else you like. Pour raspberry walnut vinegerette.. and enjoy. It is a very simple salad but one that is a favorite in our house

gallery_6825_1143_194951.jpg

Here is the chicken --

1. Marinating --

gallery_6825_1143_1394546.jpg

2. Cooking in the oven

gallery_6825_1143_986408.jpg

3. Under the broiler for a few

gallery_6825_1143_1158208.jpg

4. ANd we are ready to eat --

gallery_6825_1143_662910.jpg

gallery_6825_1143_71436.jpg

gallery_6825_1143_336075.jpg

I hope you all enjoy it

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

The chicken was a big hit here. A bit like satay, but with a nice crunch. Definitely making that again!

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

The chicken was a big hit here. A bit like satay, but with a nice crunch. Definitely making that again!

Kathy, Did you broil it as well, or, were you lucky enough to have grilling weather? I'd love to see a pic of a grilled version - the broiled looked phenomenal. :wub:

Monica - I bought Everything Indian last night - I'm excited to try some recipes!

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Well we are well on our way through breakfast this morning. The weather is dull and the day is full of errands I did not do in the week!

Eggs - ala Monica -- With minced green chilies, diced red onions and minced cilantro.

gallery_6825_1143_886492.jpg

For brunch we are having poha or beaten rice. Traditionally this is a south Indian dish. i fell in love with it when I went to college in south India. It is simple yet hearty. Here is poha raw.

Okay so first step -- moisten it a bit in a colander --

gallery_6825_1143_260472.jpg

In a wok heat some oil, add the mustard seeds. When they get mad and sizzle, add some curry leaves, chopped onions and a handful of peas. (People add many other things here.. this is how I like it)

gallery_6825_1143_464920.jpg

Season with turmeric, red chilli and salt. Toss well. ANother few minutes and its done.

gallery_6825_1143_1161566.jpg

Enjoy!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica,

From the curry leaf plant discussion on the preceding pages, I got the impression you used them like bay leaves, that is to say, they flavor the dish, but you do not eat them.

Now, from that last photo of the rice dish, I am wondering if that's so. Do you eat the curry leaves, or "leave" them on the plate. (ha ha, I am in a goofy mood this morning!)

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

You eat them, unlike bay leaves.

Good to know because lately I have been frequenting an Indian place that uses quite a bit of curry leaves in the dishes and I have been eating them. Never occured to me to ask whether it was okay. :biggrin:

One of these days I will certainly pay for my cavalier attitude when it comes to trying foods. I just go for it.

Good to know because lately I have been frequenting an Indian place that uses quite a bit of curry leaves in the dishes and I have been eating them. Never occured to me to ask whether it was okay. :biggrin:

One of these days I will certainly pay for my cavalier attitude when it comes to trying foods. I just go for it.

Oh :shock: -- did they not tell you about the side effects of eating these???? :blink:

Gotcha :laugh::raz:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

That peanut chicken looked too good last night... so I am making it tonite. Along with some rice and green beans.

In anticipation of my okra tutorial, I am warming up to your okra subzi... by making "green bean subzi" instead :laugh:

how's that? :biggrin:

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

Oh :shock: -- did they not tell you about the side effects of eating these???? :blink:

Gotcha :laugh::raz:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The side effects are that I have been eating Indian food almost daily these past two weeks.

Kathy, Did you broil it as well, or, were you lucky enough to have grilling weather?

Technically we have grilling weather here, but yesterday was a race to get out the door so I broiled. The results were delicious, regardless.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I belong to a foodie group and we select a different style of restaurant once a month to eat at. Tonite we chose Ginger Reef that was recently written up in Bon Appetit.

Ginger Reef is a fun little place in the down town

We started with Carribean Sunrise a rum based cocktail

gallery_6825_1143_489295.jpg

Seafood fritters for appetizers & their ribs were really quite good --

gallery_6825_1143_497268.jpg

gallery_6825_1143_732556.jpg

Fried red snapper was, well, snappy :laugh:

gallery_6825_1143_99955.jpg

Rum soaked bread pudding provided a filling end

gallery_6825_1143_1002323.jpg

Goodnight all. See you in the morning.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

....but, but....doesn't that call for chicken breasts? :laugh:

Kathy

Oh I see, Monica --you asked him to adapt the recipe just for me. :raz::laugh:

Great article, and I can't wait to try the recipes. Is that you in the right-hand corner of the pic?

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

Hi all --

Plans change.. and ours did. I had grand plans of the zoo, I am told I need to weed the lawn. Oye.

His highness wanted egg curry for lunch not dinner. So here it is.

Step 1 - Grind onions to a fine paste and saute along with garlic in some oil/butter combo

Step 2 -- Add ground tomatoes and continue to cook until the oil separates from the mixture.. you can add some water at this step to help move things along.

Step 3 - Season with turmeric, red chili and freshly ground coriander powder.

Step 4. Cook for another few mintues

Step 5 - Add a cup of milk and bring to a slow boil

Pour over boiled eggs. Serve hot with bread and a nice summer salad. This silken curry is our favorite.. anytime.

gallery_6825_1143_735928.jpg

gallery_6825_1143_688265.jpg

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

And with that picture.. folks I am going to signoff from the blogging process. This has been an amazing experience... I have learnt so much and feel so delighted that folks wanted to share this experience with me.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my home. The title of the blog should now be obvious to folks.. thoughts without a thinker.. I have provided you with a random smattering of my life..

People question what is authentic and traditional and what is not. WHen my monkey grows up these will be his traditions and this will be his mom's authentic cooking. To each his own.

Indian cooking, as with any cuisine, is about having a love of ingredients. Love what you make and I promise it will turn out well.

I want to than Soba and the rest of the eG forum hosts and mgmt team for giving me this honor and hope that I will be invited back someday to do some more blogging.

I will be around making posts today but this is the last picture I am posting for now.

Enjoy and once again many thanks.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice