• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Monica Bhide - Thoughts without a thinker

Of course we want to cook along with you!!! Please post the steps. I won't be able to do it tonight, (I work evenings) but I bet a lot of others will!!!

Thanks so much !

I dont need much more than one post to get me started. .. ten pages attest to that. :raz:

Here we go --

Make a marinade of -- melted chunky peanut butter, orange juice, a touch of lemon juice, cumin powder, ginger garlic paste, spice powder mix (i use the same as I did for the malay chicken -- use any mild curry powder from the grocery store) and soya sauce. Mix well and add to the chicken.. Let it sit till we grill/broil this evening

I poured all the stuff onto the chicken and mixed it in the bowl. I prefer chicken thighs to chicken breasts.. a fact that has been well documented on egullet -- monica and chicken thighs.. the saga continues

gallery_6825_1143_589843.jpg

gallery_6825_1143_304970.jpg

Mix well

gallery_6825_1143_385684.jpg

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica, you are very naughty pulling me away from work.

:raz:

I am here, just not posting a lot. Because, believe me, I'd like nothing better to talk food all day, esp. since I'm trying to finish writing a diet book (boo, hiss).

Hey, I have a question -- on the first day of your blog, you posted a photo of colorful tidbits that looked like rice puffs, and then you deep-fried them. Pray tell, what are they? I've never seen them in the stores around here.

di

They are like wafers or papads.. let me go take a pic of the bag. thanks for being here :wub:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I'll be cooking along as well. No crunchy peanut butter here, so I'll add in chopped peanuts if the texture is needed. Smells wonderful so far :biggrin:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I used regular peanut butter, since that's what we had in the pantry. Adding crushed peanuts now.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Okay, I am going to admit something here, but it is only to support my plea in asking for help. So... good will come of this... right?

(deep breath)

I hate okra. There, I said it. I can't stand the sight of it. When I hear the word okra, I think Slimy. I couldn't even imagine or remember the taste (which was at least 40 yrs ago), all i think is yuk, slimy, no thank you.

OK, everyone, calm down, and don't yell at me or think I am stupid. I eat, and LOVE, just about every other food out there... you name it. But for some reason, okra is not ok. I guess it is because I never had good okra. Maybe if I had it with Indian spices, which I LUV, I might eat it.

So here's your chance Mon, help me. change me. Turn my life around. What on earth do you do to okra to make it taste good?

Your pics of dinner the other night (okra 2 ways, sheesh!) actually looked good. (Honestly tho, when I first read them, well, I stopped, and said Oh God, no, not okra! no, no, not TWO ways! -- so I skimmed/blah blahed until we got off the okra. But I have grabbed myself by the shoulder and gone back and re-read that page today, so I am trying to improve, really I am). I think the sliced/chickpea flour/fried version looks more palatable for me, but I am willing to try either, or another recipe even. can you steer me, and could you pm me with more exact ingredient amounts? If I am going to make it, I want to be sure it's done right and good.

Can you make me a non-hater of okra?

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

The okra looks tasty on the rice. I think Indian food always tastes even better the next day.

I wish I could get into chicken thighs. I always feel like such a culinary loser for not liking them -- the thigh meat feels slimy in my mouth. It's embarrassing to be a breast girl. :blink::laugh:

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

Okay, I am going to admit something here, but it is only to support my plea in asking for help. So... good will come of this... right?

(deep breath)

I hate okra.  There, I said it.  I can't stand the sight of it. When I hear the word okra, I think Slimy.  I couldn't even imagine or remember the taste (which was at least 40 yrs ago), all i think is yuk, slimy, no thank you.

OK, everyone, calm down, and don't yell at me or think I am stupid.  I eat, and LOVE, just about every other food out there... you name it.  But for some reason, okra is not ok.  I guess it is because I never had good okra.  Maybe if I had it with Indian spices, which I LUV, I might eat it. 

So here's your chance Mon, help me. change me.  Turn my life around.  What on earth do you do to okra to make it taste good? 

Your pics of dinner the other night (okra 2 ways, sheesh!) actually looked good. (Honestly tho, when I first read them, well, I stopped, and said Oh God, no, not okra! no, no, not TWO ways! -- so I skimmed/blah blahed until we got off the okra.  But I have grabbed myself by the shoulder and gone back and re-read that page today, so I am trying to improve, really I am).  I think the sliced/chickpea flour/fried version looks more palatable for me, but I am willing to try either, or another recipe even.  can you steer me, and could you pm me with more exact ingredient amounts?  If I am going to make it, I want to be sure it's done right and good.

This is serious business -- arent you local? Will you let me cook okra for you? I can promise a transformation.. you will either love okra at the end of it or hate me for life. :laugh:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I am so excited.. this should be fun! And hopefully very tasty :smile:

My husband is unfortunately insisting on spaghetti night, but I'd love to make this next week. This will work with natural peanut butter, correct?

Yes it will - be sure to let me know how it turns out.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I hate okra.  There, I said it.  I can't stand the sight of it. When I hear the word okra, I think Slimy.  I couldn't even imagine or remember the taste (which was at least 40 yrs ago), all i think is yuk, slimy, no thank you.

I am a reformed okra hater. Had same issues -- slimy, yukky, disgusting. Then I had fried okra down south. Yum. Then gumbo -- double yum.

For me, it's all in the preparation. You can see from the pictures Monica knows how to treat her pods, so I'd take her up on her offer. :biggrin:

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

This is serious business -- arent you local? Will you let me cook okra for you? I can promise a transformation.. you will either love okra at the end of it or hate me for life.  :laugh:

Oh my gosh... You would do that? (You must REALLY love okra! LOL) Maybe you should be the spokesperson for the National Okra Association...

Seriously, tho, yes, I would love for you to cook okra for me! I am honored! We will work something out. I will come bearing gifts (pastry) in return! :smile:

edited to add:

Waitaminute! "Nutella reigns?" Now we're talkin' ! :wub:

But, hmmmm... you aren't going to put the two together are you??? That would be a waste of good Nutella! :laugh:

Edited by simdelish (log)

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

Pan - It is eaten with roti traditionally. On steamed rice is what happens when one is being lazy.

OTOH, eating anything with steamed rice is well in keeping

with south indian food traditions.

roti is north indian (n india is a wheat culture and

s india grows rice).

when monica said "not traditional" i thought (silly me) :raz:

that she did not have a full, balanced meal on her plate:

rice (or roti) plus dal (or other protein)

plus sabzi (vegetable side cish in this case the okra)

plus whatever else (usually yogurt to end the meal

is a must for south indians).

this kind of balanced meal is very traditional,

but eating half-meals is what we busy people do.....

milagai