• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Monica Bhide - Thoughts without a thinker

thanks for the responses.

i was not clear -- i was actually wondering how to make my own instead of buying the packaged version.  i found two recipes last night.  i think i will attempt it once the current stock runs out....either that or use it as an excuse to go back to india :wub:

Cilantro Chutney -- I make mine with cilantro, mint, lemon juice, a touch of garlic and on occasion grated coconut. I used to hold events at Whole Foods and here is how we served it -- Take thick slices of warm french bread, spread on some sweet cream butter, top with the chutney and then place a thinly sliced English cucumber on top -- YUM

If you want more specifics, PM me and I will send you some stuff.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Hi Monica,

Are Pani Puri/Gol Gappa shells easily available in US?

I'm eagerly awaiting the rest of your blog. :wub:

Wow. What a pleasant surprise. HEY. Good to see you here. Now I need to kick this up a notch. The professionals are watching :laugh:

Good to see you here my dear.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

[Monica, your Gol Gappa look beautiful, and I love that you spiked the masala with rum. I haven't made this at home, but when I do, I'll probably use rum in the spice water. The last time I had this, I ended up reading a magazine over lunch with an article about vodka pani puri. Such a neat idea!

Lovely blog.

Yes - They are being used as "shots" in many places now. Yum.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

1.  re eating gol gappas / pani puris / puchkas (calcutta-speak)

it's VITAL to adopt the correct stance:  straddle legged and leaning

fwd at the waist, then pop the whole thing in your mouth at once.

this is to prevent the water inside from running down your chin

and ruining your clothes.

it will run down your chin anyway (that's part of the fun of street food)

but it won't get on your clothes...  :laugh:

that's why it's important to get it all into your mouth at one shot.

imagine the consequences of biting into a fragile water-filled balloon..... :laugh:

2.  monica - your son is gorgeous!  haai! nazar na lage!

(avert the evil eye)

milagai

Not to mention that the hands that make the gol gappas have to have stuff under their fingernails that you cannot recall. Once I asked the guy to wash his hands (at a street stall in Delhi) and he promptly stuck them in a bucket of water that had used dishes soaking in it.

Ofcourse, most people now head to Haldirams in Delhi where they make the water with bottled water (for hygenic reasons) and the servers making the treats wear plastic gloves.

:biggrin:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica:

What is the ratio of vodka or rum in the pani puri water. Do you mix it with the pani puri water or fill up neat vodka in the gol gappa???

Is that a trick question :wink: Add as much or as little as you like. I make the water and then add the coconut rum. Just a tad.

By the way, if you head to Nirvana on K street, they are making these and serving them with chili vodka. NICE

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica, how did you come to like Malaysian food/recipes? How were you influenced and where do you normally get your recipes?

Are we going to see any biryani rice and honey chicken? <----wishful thinking? My fav dessert is vermicelli payasam. :wub:

I think I feel in love with it years ago. I love the flavors -- the spices may be the same as Indian but the tastes are different (although well within the Asian taste zone :laugh: )

Biryani -- hmmmm -- maybe. Not sure yet.

I will go ahead and post some shots of this marvelous biryani I had in Delhi on my last trip. SO hang on for a few.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Mmm last night's dinner looked delicious. Any chance you can give us a clue what's for dinner tonight? I want to make the same thing! :smile:

I too fell for the monkey story for about 10 minutes... Enough time for all kinds of wonderful images to spring to mind. Anyway I'm almost afraid to ask. 5 years in a semi-cloistered convent? Please tell me it's true so I can continue daydreaming about Monica's mid-mornings at choir rehearsal of "Climb Every Mountain" and gathering herbs and curry leaves in the convent garden which is surrounded by a big stone wall over which one day scrambles a little monkey...

I have found the recipe in your book The Spice is Right for Chicken Tikka. Is this the recipe you plan to prepare? The garlic ginger paste for the Chicken tikka is on page 19. Yes?

I think I got all the answers in to last night's posts. If I have missed you, its not by design -- let me know and I will try to respond.

Well good morning - I have to rush out but wanted to get started first.

Here is what I am drinking for breakfast --

gallery_6825_1143_590058.jpg

I love their coffee. Starbucks is nice but a bit too strong for my tastes. What works well with them is this -- Take some starbucks coffee ice cream, throw it in the blender with some heavy cream, a bit of milk and ice. Blend it all and serve in a tall glass as sinful cold coffee

What I wish I was drinking

gallery_6825_1143_64917.jpg

This is Indian style hot coffee being served in Goa Portugesa in Mumbai. I just wrote about them for the WP. Let me know if you want to see the piece, I will send it on, or post it here. Great seafood and yes, nice coffee. :biggrin:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

This is Indian style hot coffee being served in Goa Portugesa in Mumbai. I just wrote about them for the WP. Let me know if you want to see the piece, I will send it on, or post it here. Great seafood and yes, nice coffee.  :biggrin:

Yes, please - I'd love to see the article. At this moment I'm admiring your blog while drinking my poor excuse for South Indian filter coffee.

Question about the onions you used last night - were they red onions? In Delhi the onions looked more like the shallots I see in the Asian store. Also, would you mind elaborating on your wok-like pan?

Thanks for a very entertaining and informative blog. I will echo everyone else's comments on how adorable your son is!

Monica- do you make your own yogurt at home, or do you have a favorite brand that you purchase?

And, I think it is unanimous, your son certainly is adorable!

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Yes, please - I'd love to see the article.  At this moment I'm admiring your blog while drinking my poor excuse for South Indian filter coffee.

A city of all seasonings -- Mumbai

You can see more pictures from these restaurants on my site -www.monicabhide.com

Question about the onions you used last night - were they red onions?  In Delhi the onions looked more like the shallots I see in the Asian store.  Also, would you mind elaborating on your wok-like pan? 

Okay - the onions are red onions. I dont like using the yellow/white onions. I think the red onions add a nice sweetness. You are right, the Indian ones are tiny but so wonderfuly flavorful

My wok like pan is a Kadai -- let me see if I can find pics -- its a deep small wok (like thing). I fill it with oil 1/2 way and then use that as a deep fryer. I think this is the way its done in most Indian homes. I dont know anyone who owns a deep fryer. :smile:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica- do you make your own yogurt at home, or do you have a favorite brand that you purchase?

And, I think it is unanimous, your son certainly is adorable!

For personal taste, I prefer making the yogurt at home Its simple to do. WHen I do buy it, I get Stoneyhill (I think that is the right name). .... dont you have that happen when you being picking up something by just recognizing the box and forget the name. Or maybe I am just getting old :raz::rolleyes::laugh:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Hi Monica:

I finally found your blong, thanks to Episure's directions. One day and seven pages later. Beautiful pictures. Look forward to reading more.

I'm enjoying this blog immensely, partly because of my affinity (addiction?) to Indian Cuisine but also because you write so eloquently.

Last night I made two of your recipes from the EGCI session and recipeGullet: Green Beans with Coconut and Pork Vindaloo (used Canadian Lamb instead). Both came out great and I was especially pleased with the Vindaloo as most recipes for it are more complicated, requiring longer marinating of both meat AND potatoes in some cases.

Three questions for you, take your time as you're being inundated right now:

1. The green bean/coconut recipe reminds me of some kerala dishes, particularly thorens and dishes with plenty of crunch. What is the origin?

2. I've always found fenugreek difficult to deal with, as the whole spices are quite hard whereas the powder has almost no scent or flavour that I can pick up. How would you use it?

3. What do you use for grinding whole spices? Coffee grinders do the trick but the affordable models seem to breakdown within a year or so. I don't have room for the giant slabs of granite that the Ammas of this world keep in their kitchen..mortar and pestle?

4. Re:Gingerpeach's question about onions, I've often wondered about whether shallots make a difference in recipes calling for onion, as I too observed most cooks using something closer to it than a white or sweet onion. Thoughts?

Comments for random things:

1. A Curry plant is very easy to grow, you can do a search on The GardenWeb Forums to see if it will work in your climate/gardening zone. As for the leaves I haven't been successful in finding them in Ottawa but the community is quite small. Oh, and I ruined a Mangalore Fish Curry using the dried version once...it tasted like a great fish dish that someone had raked leaves onto.

2. Alphonso Mango = Incredible. I watched a man in the Mumbai airport get arrested for having stashed them in every available suitcase, bag and..ahem...physical location on his person.

3. Gingerpeach: There was an interesting discussion about South Indian Filter coffee in the relevant forum on Egullet, should you wish to re-create it at home: South Indian Filter Coffee

Thanks again Monica, and keep up the good work!

Last night I made two of your recipes from the EGCI session and recipeGullet: Green Beans with Coconut and Pork Vindaloo (used Canadian Lamb instead). Both came out great and I was especially pleased with the Vindaloo as most recipes for it are more complicated, requiring longer marinating of both meat AND potatoes in some cases.

YAY.

Three questions for you, take your time as you're being inundated right now:

1. The green bean/coconut recipe reminds me of some kerala dishes, particularly thorens and dishes with plenty of crunch. What is the origin?

It is a south Indian dish and one that I adore. It is easy to make, good for you and also has such pronounced flavors. It is a Monday night favorite at our house. If Ammini is reading, she can give you the historic origins, I am sure.

2. I've always found fenugreek difficult to deal with, as the whole spices are quite hard whereas the powder has almost no scent or flavour that I can pick up. How would you use it?

The seeds are used in tempering mostly. I used the dried one a lot. Its dried leaves and is sold as Kasoori Methi in stores (Kasoori Methi

Fresh methi is used in stirfrying and also stuffed in breads. My favorite. Just one thing, it is a pain in the ass to clean -- very gritty.

BTW - Most Indian stores are now selling it frozen as well. And its not bad.. trust me.

Stay tuned in a few minutes I will be making potatoes with fenugreek (dried leaves). It is again - simple, flavorful and easy to prepare. this is just my style and people I am sure can make it more complex. :laugh:

3. What do you use for grinding whole spices? Coffee grinders do the trick but the affordable models seem to breakdown within a year or so. I don't have room for the giant slabs of granite that the Ammas of this world keep in their kitchen..mortar and pestle?

I agree. I finally invested in a Sumeet (Indian brand) food processor. It comes with a few wonderful attachments. The spice grinder and chutney maker attachments are to die for. Its been two years and no dead motor yet. I have killed many a coffee grinder. :raz:

4. Re:Gingerpeach's question about onions, I've often wondered about whether shallots make a difference in recipes calling for onion, as I too observed most cooks using something closer to it than a white or sweet onion. Thoughts?

I love the flavor of shallots -- I have begun to add it in everything where I need a garlic onion flavor. I like the sweeter red onion -- I am sure there are reasons people prefer the yellow one. I guess for Indian cooking the red one, in my humble opinion, holds its own with hearty spices.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica, could you please tell me about the amount of the freshly ground coriander powder, turmeric and salt you use in your okra dish?

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

Alright my friends, lunch is served. I hope you are all hungry. This is my version of Fenugreek laced potatoes. Simplicty is such charm, dont you think

Step 1

Dice potatoes into small dices.

gallery_6825_1143_1097230.jpg

Add some oil into a pan and pan fry the potatoes on high heat.

gallery_6825_1143_435535.jpg

Add the fenugreek -- handful of it. Add the turmeric, red chili and salt. Saute for another few minutes.

gallery_6825_1143_1107739.jpg (sorry for the blurred picture

Cover and lower heat. Cook till potatoes are done

gallery_6825_1143_932806.jpg

A dear friend had got me some strawberries on Saturday so that is what I am having for dessert

gallery_6825_1143_503761.jpg

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

That looks delicious - going to have to make some up later today.

Do you typically have a lighter, vegetarian lunch?

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Interesting.... your fenugreek is green, and mine is red. Will this dish work with the red fenugreek as well? (Is it the difference between leaves and seeds?)

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

No not with the seeds -- do you have flat brown seeds?? I am not sure if I have seen red fenugreek -- can you describe it? Do you have a picture?

It is at home right now, but I will take a photo when I get there. It is a sort of medium rusty brown red color, and all crushed up.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Monica,

Very good and quick adaptation of Aloo Methi. You are right, cleaning fresh methi leaves is a pain.. We have started using the frozen one because I like a lot of methi and this Kasoori methi packet is better for this version that you show here. Good job.

Talking of this dry methi leaves, have you used them to make Methi parantha.

This is what we do. Take a fistful of leaves and grind them even further using your fingers. They almost become like coarse powder. Bake the tandoori plain parantha, slather some butter/ghee/oil on it and sprinkle the methi leaf powder.

Heavenly Methi Paranthas!!!