• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Monica Bhide - Thoughts without a thinker

Hi all - After many months of procastinating, I am your humble blogger this week. I signed on to eGullet about 2 years ago and remember being terrified to post -- everyone knew so much about food and I wondered what I could contribute. That feeling is even stronger today -- the food blogs so far have been outstanding. I feel like the kid who goes on after Sammy Sosa! I was very inspired by Lucy's blog and finally decided to do it.

So here I am today -- the week will be quiet for the most and thankfully so. I will be making shrimp, chicken and much more. I am sure all the recipes and creations will not be Indian so this is NOT the "Real Indian" blog that Soba kept referring to in the last blog!

So good morning, welcome on board and in a few minutes I will show you where I live and what I see when I wake up each morning!

:smile:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Now for a short boring bio - I am a writer, I write mostly about food and am starting to write short fiction and about parenting issues. I have been writing full time for a year and a half. I was an engineer before that. (GEEK ALERT).

I am not very verbose and tend to post in short spurts so I hope that will be okay.

I have never blogged before so this will be a learning experience for me.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Hi all - After many months of procastinating, I am your humble blogger this week.  I signed on to eGullet about 2 years ago and remember being terrified to post -- everyone knew so much about food and I wondered what I could contribute. That feeling is even stronger today -- the food blogs so far have been outstanding. I feel like the kid who goes on after Sammy Sosa!

Yes, but since this is an All-Star line-up, you're our very own Barry Bonds (sans steroids, of course)! :raz:

I am sure I'm just one of swarms of readers who will eagerly absorb every bit of this foodblog, Monica. Onward!!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Go go Monica!

Never mind Soba and his "trailer". He is obviously insane. :smile: Indian? I don't see any Indian! Okay, maybe I'd like to see a bit of Indian, but I'm more interested in whatever the heck you'd normally eat, Indian or not.

I try to not play favorites, but I agree that Lucy's blog could have inspired a rock. The fact that it inspired a writer of your talent is fine with me.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Don't forget the cat and/or baby pics!

I have no cats sorry. I do have a monkey - he is five and a half going on thirty five most days. He also thinks he is a food critic - constantly telling me what he likes and does not with my dishes! I think I'll keep him for now :laugh:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Don't forget the cat and/or baby pics!

I have no cats sorry. I do have a monkey - he is five and a half going on thirty five most days. He also thinks he is a food critic - constantly telling me what he likes and does not with my dishes! I think I'll keep him for now :laugh:

I have parrots and they talk back, some days I wish they'd keep there comments to there selves*L*

Perfection cant be gained, but it can be strived for :huh:

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

I have learnt to slow down a bit in the morning. Things are generally a madhouse as everyone gets ready for work. I start my day by lighting an incense stick and a short prayer.

gallery_6825_1143_389213.jpg

I think it keeps me calm for the day. (Friends are not allowed to comment on what I mean by "calm" LOL).

Generally my husband and I will share a coffee or tea out on the deck.

gallery_6825_1143_790782.jpg

Here is the view we had a few weeks ago from our room in St Johns.

gallery_6825_1143_869757.jpg

I love simple things -- so we generally have Nescafe. Today I am drinking a ready spice tea. It is nice not to have to do too much when I am still half asleep. So these spice tea bags work well. I add a bit of sugar and milk. They have a darling aroma and taste earthy.

gallery_6825_1143_636967.jpg

My cup of tea always has company - I love Indian glucose biscuits (Parle G). The funny part is that when my family eats them, they dip the biscuit into the tea and still manage to keep it whole. I dip it and it dissolves into the tea and makes a mess. SO I prefer to eat it on the side LOL.

gallery_6825_1143_188492.jpg

My monkey needs to get registered for first grade today -- so we are all excited

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

What are your favorite foods? I'm sure you have lots of Indian favorites, but do you have a favorite non-Indian food or cuisine?

I love to eat Malaysian and Thai food. I think I will make a Malay chicken curry this week.

It has star anise for flavoring which tends to be very strong.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

For all those you just emailed/PMed me -- no I am not going the star trek way, my hands are henna-ed. Each year I host an annual henna party to welcome spring. Friends bring in all the food and we always have a ball. This year we had - tamarind shrimp on a stick to hummus to a guava cake. I hope I can post some pictures of the henna party and the table. Some eGers were here for it as well from NYC and I will post pics of their hennaed hands.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Oh man, I am so excited about your foodblog Monica, I've been using your Everyday Indian book like mad lately and I've been beyond happy with the results. I know you won't be doing much Indian here, but I'm sure anything else you make won't disappoint! :biggrin:

Edited by ellencho (log)

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Oh man, I am so excited about your foodblog Monica, I've been using your Everyday Indian book like mad lately and I've been beyond happy with the results.

Well thank you!

I think you will be happy to know that I have a class this saturday on Indian cooking and I will try to post pictures here after some of the dishes are done so hopefully that will be of use to you.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Cool henna design! How long does yours last? The last time I used henna was on my hair...gives you a nice glow in the sun, doesn't it?

It lasts for a good week to a few weeks. I use it in my hair as well -- henna powder, lemon juice, one egg, tea water-- sounds good enough to eat doesnt it :laugh:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Regarding my monkey - He and I cant seem to agree on what should go in his snack bag for school. I keep adding fruits and he keeps insisting on fruit roll ups. I am sure there is a happy compromise somewhere. What do other moms add in the school snack bags??? Help!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Regarding my monkey - He and I cant seem to agree on what should go in his snack bag for school. I keep adding fruits and he keeps insisting on fruit roll ups. I am sure there is a happy compromise somewhere. What do other moms add in the school snack bags??? Help!

Possibly not a whole heck of a lot healthier in the grand scheme of things - but what about fried fruits/trail mix kind of things? Dried apricots/apples/etc retain the sort of fruit role-up texture without all of the dye and extra processing. Thin them out with some nuts or maybe a little granola to keep it from being all just a dehydrated sugar-rush.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Hey, Monica -- look forward to reading your food blog this week! :biggrin:

What do I put for snacks in my son's lunch box? Well, this a.m. it was Snappea Crisps, which I get at Trader Joe's and homemade apple sauce I made up this weekend. (Super easy -- core and cut up apples, throw in a pot with some apple juice/cider, cinnamon and cloves and cook down for 30 minutes, then run through a food mill -- voila, apple sauce. And the apples were so sweet I didn't need sugar.)

I also give him a couple of Newman's Own chocolate ABC cookies.

Love the henna!

di

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

Possibly not a whole heck of a lot healthier in the grand scheme of things - but what about fried fruits/trail mix kind of things? Dried apricots/apples/etc retain the sort of fruit role-up texture without all of the dye and extra processing. Thin them out with some nuts or maybe a little granola to keep it from being all just a dehydrated sugar-rush.

He does like dried fruit. We get into a conversation each morning on the same thing. I guess all moms do huh.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice