• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dim Sum Cookbooks

Tepee

Hi people

Checked the book last night and confirm it is 250C. I am too lazy to do the pastry (too hot here and will probably have to render the lard myself) but will experiement with the possibly exploding custard :raz: this weekend.

Hi people

Checked the book last night and confirm it is 250C. I am too lazy to do the pastry (too hot here and will probably have to render the lard myself) but will experiement with the possibly exploding custard  :raz:  this weekend.

Please take pictures of the "possibly exploding custard" :wacko: :laugh::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I don't see the Yank Sing dim sum cookbook mentioned. You could add it to the list. I have about half of the books listed in this thread and I still can't make a decent ha gao skin. I've given up and decided you have to learn it from someone who already knows how to do it, not from a book. Mine are always too soft or thick.

regards,

trillium

I don't see the Yank Sing dim sum cookbook mentioned.  You could add it to the list.  I have about half of the books listed in this thread and I still can't make a decent ha gao skin.  I've given up and decided you have to learn it from someone who already knows how to do it, not from a book.  Mine are always too soft or thick.

regards,

trillium

I know what you mean! LOL!

Using a tortilla press helps. but I gave it up and would rather eat them out.

I don't see the Yank Sing dim sum cookbook mentioned.  You could add it to the list.  I have about half of the books listed in this thread and I still can't make a decent ha gao skin.  I've given up and decided you have to learn it from someone who already knows how to do it, not from a book.  Mine are always too soft or thick.

regards,

trillium

I know what you mean! LOL!

Using a tortilla press helps. but I gave it up and would rather eat them out.

Yeah, I tried that too. No dice. I think it's one of those things I'll just eat from the hands of masters.

regards,

trillium

I think this one is an issue of practice - an lots of it - makes perfect. The kind of practice where you grow up helping your family make them to the point you can do it without much thought and the texture, consistency, size, thickness, and forming the folds becomes muscle memory.

;)