• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hanger Steak at Joe Fortes

winegeek

Personally, I don't even think that you can compare a flank or flatiron to a hanger steak. The hanger has more depth of flavour and the texture is very different. When I was trimming the one I had for dinner on Sat, I noticed that even the smell of this steak is different. It smells like meat. The colour raw is also quite dark, you can see that there is significantly more blood in the muscle, which adds to the flavour.

This website has pictures. Hanger, Flank, and Flatiron ARE NOT the same thing and are not interchangeable. (I had the same rant with my butcher when he handed me a skirt steak and told me it was hanger. I think not :hmmm:

So, which is better, the flatiron or the hanger?

I prefer the Hanger steak. I think the first time I had a true Hanger steak was at HSG - and experience was suprising to me. I had been expecting something closer to a skirt steak - but the Hanger steak was taller (as opposed to a flat or thin steak) and had a statisfying chew and a really big beefy red flavor.

Flat iron steak - while nice, is served thinner and did not have the same big taste. I had flat iron steak while I lived in the US - so I have not had tried the versions up here.

For that real Flinstone's steak-y chew, the hanger steak is the winner for me. Though I will now think twice about putting something called a 'hanging tender' in my mouth.

So - I wonder what Joe Forte's is serving? It is a true Hanger steak that I have come to love at HSG. Neil - don't be so quick to take it off your menu yet.

edited - because even by my low standards of grammer and spelling - the orginal post was horrifying.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Bung ! I think that is the bum, Jeff.
how about cow sphincter.

So, which is better, the bung or the sphincter?

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

And for the record, they sell it as flat-iron on the menu, not hanger. I was told it was the same thing. I love eG for setting me straight. :wub: Thank you.

Still pretty darn tasty.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I have not spoken to my Trimpac rep yet ( voicemail ) but if they are selling the Beach House flat irons as Hanger, probably the same at Joe's I can not confirm that but I do recall the difficulty in getting it myself as well as explaining it. I take it no one has been to Joe's to check it out ? Who wants to be the one ?

Jeffy - Bung is best slow braised - big double portion for you ???

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Likely we have all eaten bung at some point....not that I want to gain a rep as 'little miss product identification' or anything :rolleyes: but bung is just plain old sausage casing...or intestines, if you must.

And you are right, it is best braised - like chitterlings - if you aren't going to stuff it with forcemeat.

I think sphincter would be delightful done as jerky... :wacko:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Since I have been familiar with "Hanger Steak" for longer then almost anyone else since before including this cut into the USDA Official Meat Guides I would like to make some comments.

Hanger Steak is a cut of Meat that when handled properly with care can be delicious with the true flavor, character showing the essence of all the best beef attributes.

This same Steak if not Butchered correctly can be the chewiest, toughest piece of meat you have ever attempted to eat.

That's one of the main reasons it doesn't work well in any Restaurant without competent Chef's or Cooks that understand how best to deal with this cut so that customers are consistently pleased with what they are being served.

Almost every Restaurant that has been able to merchandise this Steak has been operated by a Hands on Chef, that works by skill and intuition that learns how long to allow the meat to set, by timing the cooking just right, then carefully slicing it to order immediately before serving.

In my opinion serving this cut often requires more ability and skill then any other primal beef cut being a hands on item. When served in Europe it's simply broiled and served in a large piece, with the sharpest steak knife to a customer who anticipates having to chew and masticate much more then we in Canada or America are accustomed to doing. I have tried eating a Hanger prepared "Blue" in France and it is more then I can deal with at one sitting.

Done as at the "HSG" broiled, timed, then carefully sliced to order it becomes almost a work of art, since its been done with skill, by only serving the best parts of the Hanger, then slicing it so that the beefs juices flow into the plate while the Beef itself seems more tender showing it's character due to the presentation. Sure it still chewy, but the taste becomes what's important and every slice disappears so fast it must have been tender.

I have enjoyed watching this cut evolve thru the years. Did anyone know that "Hanger Steak" in Hong Kong is the most expensive cut of Beef at the Retail or Wholesale Markets because of its flavor and taste. That's the reason its more expensive then the Filet's, Ribs, Strips or Sirloins simply by supply and demand. On each carcass there a lot more of everything else available but there isn't any other Beef cut that comes close when preparing Cantonese Dishes.

It wasn't to long ago when the Bottom Sirloin was only used for Ground Beef. It took almost 40 plus years until the cut became popular as "Triangle Tip".

It makes me happy in many ways, but it bothers me that the era has ended of merchandising "Triangle Tip" as "Sliced Sirloin Steak" or "Steak Sandwiches" or "Sauerbraten" or "Teriyaki" since customers received good value that was available from suppliers at a reasonable price. Judging by current retail prices in Seattle it seems like "Hangers" have become more expensive as has "Skirt Steaks", or "Flanks" it's not like the old days when we always had lots of supply without all the demand.

I have alway's felt that knowing the recipe, having all the ingredients never is the same as aquiring the skill, adaptability and timing required to cook and plate the finished item can almost never be done as consistantly at home as it's done at a good Restaurant. I'll eat my "Hanger Steak's" by choice only at establishments like the "HSG", plus they come with side dishes and desert.

I edited this post because I just learned the "Hanger Steaks" are being processed and sold by several meat boning/packing houses in a portion controlled package after being trimmed, split and tenderized often with addatives being added.. I imagine that they are probably also including the Thicker Diaphrams [skirts] to this as well, but it doesn't taste nearly the same as whole butchered and aged "Hangers"

Irwin :rolleyes::wub:

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Wow, Irwin. That is quite a post.

I have touched base with my Trimpac supplier and it would appear there was a bit of confusion arounf the Joe's hanger. It is a flat iron. It is understandable as although not a new steak, new to this market. It would seem my reign as "King of the Hanger" is intact and no need to invade Robson Street. I repeat, the invasion is off.

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

It would seem my reign as "King of the Hanger" is intact and no need to invade Robson Street. I repeat, the invasion is off.

Neil

So, now you won't be putting bung on the menu? Sigh....

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Wow, Irwin. That is quite a post.

I have touched base with my Trimpac supplier and it would appear there was a bit of confusion arounf the Joe's hanger. It is a flat iron. It is understandable as although not a new steak, new to this market. It would seem my reign as "King of the Hanger" is intact and no need to invade Robson Street. I repeat, the invasion is off.

Neil

Neil:

That was posted defensively since I want "YOU" to continue serving "Hanger Steak" until I visit Vancouver. My lady is crazy about anything with Ginger, so she'll be content with the Pudding. But I am hoping to dig into a "Hanger Steak" as one of my must does when I visit.

Even if everyone else serves the steak, I am positive that most don't have the expertise to serve it continuously as it should be served.

In Honolulu it was a treat that I would bring to share with "Peter Canlis" when he visited his Restaurant in Honolulu. I had the only aging room then on the Island and we hung the beef 4/5 weeks. When it was prepared by his Chinese Chef [also joining the meal] it was excellent, but never offered to customers. I shared it once with Mike Bruiser and his wife who owned the "Kobe Steak House" in Vancouver, curious if it's still in business.

"Hanger Steak's" ideally should be Dry aged since it allows the meat to break down naturally while if it ages in Crayovac it becomes wet and tender with a stronger character that effects the finished steak as the serum remains in the bag until it's opened. To adjust for this I suggest hanging the beef on a hook to dry out for several days before butchering.

Irwin :unsure:

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.