• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hanger Steak at Joe Fortes

winegeek

Just thought I'd pass along that Joe fortes is offering hangar steak on their menu this week as part of a table d'aute. Digby scallops with truffle oil and reduced balsamic topped with pecorino to start, hangar steak with eggpalnt parmigiana, portellini mushrooms, asparagus and cab. jus. Dessert is chocolate pecan pie with tahitian vanilla ice cream. Yum! The only reason that this is being posted is because of the obsession with hangar steak from HSG!!

Edited by winegeek (log)

Derek

i'll be there man

did you tell alot of people about it? if i found something like that i probably wouldn't have made it public knowledge. just let people who order it fidn out for themselves.

Edited by chef koo (log)

bork bork bork

Though I still have to try the HSG hangar, I don't believe that your reign is over yet Neil. You could counter with a trifecta of your own, say Diablo Mussels, Hangar, Gingerbread Pud. Let me know when!

PS: I was going to buy you a birthday beer last night, but got swept up by the charming company at our table and didn't even get a chance to say hi. Sorry, next time!

Though I still have to try the HSG hangar, I don't believe that your reign is over yet Neil. You could counter with a trifecta of your own, say Diablo Mussels, Hangar, Gingerbread Pud. Let me know when!

PS: I was going to buy you a birthday beer last night, but got swept up by the charming company at our table and didn't even get a chance to say hi. Sorry, next time!

Sorry next time ?

Next time I will be 40 ! That calls for two beers !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Having reached the landmark age of 40 at precisely 4:49 pm yesterday, I will just chime in and say that you should hold out for the most expensive bottle of wine on the menu, not settle for a couple of cold ones. Especially if you have to wait a full year to collect!

Oddly enough, my 40th birthday dinner was hangar steak...lovingly cooked for approximately 3 hours in a 400 degree oven by my beautiful and slightly dotty mother, who is of the opinion that no meat shall be served until it has reached the consistency of her orthopedic loafers, God love her.

Perhaps you could secure your reign as the Hangar Steak King by using her recipe :-)

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Having reached the landmark age of 40 at precisely 4:49 pm yesterday, I will just chime in and say that you should hold out for the most expensive bottle of wine on the menu, not settle for a couple of cold ones. Especially if you have to wait a full year to collect!

Good plan; however, just make sure that you're not drinking down the street at Cioppino's or you'll have to take a second mortgage out on the house to pay for that bottle of wine. :wink:

And Belated Happy Birthday to you Badiane! :biggrin:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Thank you :-)

And I would have gladly paid any price for a decent bottle of wine last night. I love my parents to death, but as they age, dinner gets wierder and wierder...of course when I am 80, I will probably do the same thing!

Scott Stratten

I knew my reign as the King of Hangar steak could only last so long. What should I do now ? Invade Robson Street and beat down the upstarts ? Who's with me ?

Anyone ?..........................

Where was everybody? I was standing in front of Joe Fortes with my sharpened pitchfork and my torch all ready to burn down the Pretenders to the Throne.

Fortunately - it being Robson street - I did not stand out too much. I think that most people thought I was part of the Provincial political campaign.

apparently hangar is popping up every where now. it's definatley the next big thing in vancouver. i think we should give credit where credit is due and make sure that HSG is always remembered as the place that started it. and everyone else are a bunch of bandwagon jumping punks. bu seriously i've heard about it going on to menus at alot of places all over town. way to go niel. you started a trend.

Edited by chef koo (log)

bork bork bork

Ha, Koo! :laugh:

My post shift dinner at work tonight?

Hanger steak with potato leek cake sauced with a portobello mushroom and pearl onion demi.

The thing sold like bics at a Foreigner concert.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Ok Boys from the Beach House - where are you getting the hanger steak ?

Once I finish with those Robson Street upstarts, I will be heading your way. :biggrin:

Good luck with the Hanger. Cook it at high temperature , let it rest and slice it thin and it will serve you well. If you do not slice it, and serve it like a sirloin steak, it will come back to bite you on the ass. People will not enjoy it and question what you are serving. If it is Flank subbing in for hanger, you will be fine. I still have a couple of cases left at Intercity, but I am going to give it a rest for a while.

Has anyone had it at Joe's ?

Aaron, how are you preparing it ? Marinating it in what ? For how long ?

Cheers

Neil

P.S. If you really wanted to give credit where credit is due, send a small "tribute" down to the HSG in the form of unmarked, non sequential, random bills. Cash is KING !

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

was trying to get this info but to no avail , so here goes: is hanger at hsg part of fixed menu as well or not ,whats it served with, how much$ and is it available for lunch as well as dinner? thanks

Ok Boys from the Beach House - where are you getting the hanger steak ?

Aaron, how are you preparing it ? Marinating it in what ? For how long ?

Cheers

Neil

P.S. If you really wanted to give credit where credit is due, send a small "tribute" down to the HSG in the form of unmarked, non sequential, random bills. Cash is KING !

the steak is marinated in oil garlic rosemary and thyme overnight. then it's grilled. rest it for about 5 minutes and slice. people love it. we sell it as a part of the prix fixe menu. the other option for second course is grilled swordfish. the steak out sells the fish by a huge amount. about 3:1 i'd say.

bork bork bork

It's hanger steak, not hangar steak. Well, unless it's a steak that contains small aircraft.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

Spelling is optional here, right?

More like 5:1 on my end, Koo. :cool:

It doesn't have the same legendary aura of the HSG plate, and though I'm a fan of the desserts that follow, they aren't in the same mystical league as gingerbread pudding.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

So my question at this point is - what is really being sold as "hanger/hangar" in all these restaurants.

Given that by definition there is 1 steak per cow and that it weighs around 2-3 lbs before trim my math creates a problem. In another thread HSG alludes to selling 600 pounds a month , now we add in the Beast that is Joe Forte's and the BeachHouse and I begin to wonder exactly where all this Hanger Steak is coming from and if it may not just be "flank" tarted up.

C'mon boys what's up - Neil is slaughtering 250 cattle a month just to placate Yaletown soooooooo - is it "hanger" or is it not ?

Enquiring palates want to know.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

I am serving HANGER steak. I have it shipped in from Alberta. I have sold a total of 2000 pounds. I am going to give it a rest for a few weeks as I feel what was "special" is now commonplace. I spoke to the Owner of Blue Goose Organic Beef the other day as he supplies Whole Foods with their beef. It would seem that the hanger needs to be removed from the carcass before it is split and broken down to primal cuts. Blue Goose does not have any as the split their animals right away without removing the hanger, thus it becomes trim or ground beef. I spoke with my supplier the other day who has arranged for the hanger for me and he was curious where Joe's was getting their hanger as he does not supply them. Perhaps from Trimpac ? chef koo - where are you guys getting yours ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

I am going to give it a rest for a few weeks as I feel what was "special" is now commonplace.

Yup, hanger steak is so 2004. :rolleyes: Time to move on to another, more obscure part of the cow. Let me know which portion of the carcass you deem to be the next trend Neil, and I'll be over to eat it!

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

I am going to give it a rest for a few weeks as I feel what was "special" is now commonplace.

Yup, hanger steak is so 2004. :rolleyes: Time to move on to another, more obscure part of the cow. Let me know which portion of the carcass you deem to be the next trend Neil, and I'll be over to eat it!

Bung ! I think that is the bum, Jeff. I will have a big portion set aside for you. :biggrin::biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

how about cow sphincter. i'd say just look in the larousse and look for a cut that was used 100 years ago and now long forgotten.

we get our steak from trimpac. they sell it as flat iron

bork bork bork

we get our steak from trimpac. they sell it as flat iron

Then it is Flat iron, not hanger.

Today's lesson in Product Identification is:

"Hanger Steak, Flat Iron Steak...what's the difference?"

Ahem. Pay attention. Please face the front of the class. No talking when I am talking. If you have a question, raise your hands.

Hanger Steak

The hanger steak, or hanging tenderloin, is the thick strip of meat that is located on the underside of the carcass and hangs between the last rib and the loin. It is actually part of the diaphragm. Like the skirt steak, it is very flavorful and it can be prepared with almost any type of cooking method, but it should be marinated first if using a dry heat cooking method such as grilling or broiling. The hanger steak is also known by the following names: Hanging Tenderloin, Hanging Tender and Butcher's Steak.

Flatiron Steak

A cut of beef, also known as a top blade steak, that consists of the meat just above the shoulder blade. The cut has two halves that are separated by a thin section of tough gristle running lengthwise through the meat. The flatiron steak is flavorful, well marbled, and reasonably tender. It may be grilled or broiled and it does not require marinating although it will quickly toughen if it is overcooked. Other names for the flatiron steak are top boneless chuck, petite steak, butler steak, lifter steak, and book steak.

So, people, as you can plainly see, they are completely different. Please adjust your menu descriptions accordingly, before I come to dinner and call you on it.

Thank you very much for your time and attention :wink:

Scott Stratten