• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2005 RAMMY Nominations Announced

Malawry

The 2005 RAMMY award nominations are in. Read the press release here:

Clickie

Our own Steve Klc has been nominated for Pastry Chef of the Year. John W's Firefly garnered a nomination for Neighborhood Gathering Place of the Year and Informal Dining Restaurant for the Year. Mark Sommelier can be proud of Citronelle's nomination for Wine and Beverage Program of the Year. Not to mention the guys from Ray's the Steaks and Restaurant Eve--Cathal Armstrong's nomination as Rising Culinary Star is duly deserved.

There's lots of other things to talk about here--does anybody have personal experiences with the restaurant employees nominated here? I personally think it's great to see Ris Lacoste recognized for her wonderful work at 1789. Komi received a few nods this year. I am curious as to the choices for pastry chef this year--I had mostly unimpressive desserts during recent meals at Red Sage and Kinkead's, but I am delighted to see Didier Derouet recognized for his work at Marcel's.

Tom, he is and they are--the stuff he did for the RAMMY judges last week was clean, elegant and tasty. His style is classic and very traditionally grounded, he's very strong with chocolate and I think it's great he hooked up with a similar-minded chef in Bob Wiedmaeir. There is pastry talent in hotels that much of the public just doesn't get to experience--and the demands placed on them in a hotel job are so tough. I think you should continue to expect great things from Didier at Marcels, unlike most restaurants they have a very large pastry station and have always been committed to trying to end the meal well.

One of the problems in this town, which has kept it a notch below, say Chicago, is desserts that don't live up to the cuisine and fail to follow it appropriately. More restaurateurs need to follow Wiedmaeir and hire top pastry talent and pay them appropriately, if only as a consultant if their check averages aren't as high as that of Marcels. The situation has improved a bit, Tom was one of the first critics nationally to go out of his way to mention pastry chefs by name, but there's still a long way to go.

What Chris from Kinkeads did for the tasting was also really good, don't forget he opened Colvin Run as well, and I think his stuff follows the style of the food there well, doing a great job giving his customer base what they want and expect.

This year they've really nailed so many people doing special work it's win-win no matter how this turns out. I don't envy the judges trying to choose, especially in Informal Dining, New Restaurant and Rising Star Chef. I'd have a really hard time.

Favorite restaurant of the year (voted on by the public)--my early money is on Cheesecake Factory.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Favorite restaurant of the year (voted on by the public)--my early money is on Cheesecake Factory.

I would venture a guess that people that love the Cheesecake Factory wouldn't know what the RAMMYs are. Well, at least I hope they don't.

You might be right, but how that particular voting is handled, I think, is via the Washington Post and Washpost online ballot perhaps, which probably has a similar demographic and awareness level as Washingtonian magazine readers. These folks aren't quite up to the average Sietsema chatter level. Maggiano's won the Post Reader's Choice "Best Italian" restaurant last year and I think Cheesecake Factory has won the Washingtonian popularity thing before, and that was before a big fat new one opened in Clarendon, with lines snaking out the door. Just saying don't be surprised...

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

• 1 month later...

The winners:

NEIGHBORHOOD GATHERING PLACE:Cafe Saint-Ex

HOTTEST BAR SCENE: IndeBleu

POWER SPOT: Cafe Milano

FAVORITE RESTAURANT: based on public input--no nominees:MIE N YU

The judges panel decided these awards:

NEW RESTAURANT: CityZen

FINE DINING: Ristorante Tosca

INFORMAL DINING: Johnny's Half Shell

CHEF of the YEAR: Fabio Trabocchi (Maestro)

EMPLOYEE: Efrain Velasco (Andale)

PASTRY CHEF: Chris Kujula (Kinkead's)

WINE & BEVERAGE PROGRAM: Maestro

MANAGER: Tricia Kominsky (Poste)

RISING CULINARY STAR:Cathal Armstrong (Restaurant Eve)

WHERE MAGAZINE AWARD:Mimi's American Bistro

Mark