• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philadelphia Theme Party

Would you count Breyers, even though it's no longer made here?

I might do that. It would go well with the cake, and save me some work. The number of guests keeps getting bigger :blink:

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, especially "Wake Up Everybody" or "If You Don't Know Me By Now"

MFSB -- specifically, "TSOP" (better known as the "Soul Train" theme)

Duh! I can't believe I forgot that. Okay, the painful thing? I have most of these things (including most of coltrane's catalogue...on vinyl. Among other things Philly has the best used record stores in the world (ask any DJ. Seriously.) But I need to get a new needle for my player...I wonder if the local Radio Shack carries them, that's where I got 'em last time, but it was in Philly. Does WPEN webcast their programming? That could be funny, though a little hard to explain. I associate theor Saturday evening show with summer stoop sitting.

Philadelphia the movie might be kind of a downer, but Witness might work. I've never seen it. I have a deep and abiding love of Philadelphia Story, but it's not a Main Line party, dahling :laugh: 6th Sense might work, since there is some philly scenery. Oh wait, 12 monkeys has all that great footage of the prison! I need to do some research.

Of course you're going to let us all know how things went, right?

Definitely! I will try to remember to take some pictures.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

I know ribeye is the right cut, but sawing through more than 6 pounds of frozen meat is probably not the best use of my time for this party. (Not to mention the cost!) I think if I pick heavily marbled bulgogi it will work quite well, it tends to be pretty tender and flavorful. Maybe I can do a test run, but I have made steaks before using non-ribeye and its been fine so long as the beef is thin enough. (I even have that great melt-cheese-flippy motion down from watching the food cart guys for so many years. :smile:)

I love the idea of tomato pies. I love tomato pies, period. But with having to bake all the italian rolls it might have to be a pass. Although...if I have extra dough from the italian rolls I might be able to swing something. Actually, I love pretty much every idea I've heard, but since I expect to be the only one cooking, I need to keep the menu very strictly edited. This party will already put me down in the local history books as either a hero or a complete madwoman. Nobody really cooks around here.

Still, I think the menu is shaping up nicely, I doubt anyone will be going home hungry. Here are the definites:

Fun bite as people come in: hard pretzel sticks with good mustard (sadly no snyders or Herr's...)

sandwiches: roast pork, cheese steak with choice of wiz or provolone

condiments: fried onions, hot peppers, ketchup

veg: roasted red peppers, brocolli raab (hopefully they will have it that week, they were getting it then stopped for some reason. Midwest produce departments= UGH!!) If not, then escarole. If I can't find escarole, then you might see me skulking about the neighborhood stealing people's dandelions.

dessert: butterscoth Krimpet cake with breyers ice cream.

Sweetzls (I finally realized what you meant -- I didn't realize they were local, but I guess I haven't seen them here.) Would have been nice with water ice. Might still do the water ice as a snack for later on. Or as a palate cleanser :smile:

I'll try to find some cherry soda... Any other Philly drinks you can think of? We can provide good espresso, at least that's something.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

NICE!! That price is definitely doable. But if they ship on Tuesday, I wonder what shape they'll be in by Saturday...we could probably freeze them when they arrive and pop 'em in the oven on Saturday. The significance may be comepletely lost on these kids though, they were only there for a three days.

OMG goldburg peanut chews. I am pretty sure they caused my last cavity.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

dessert: butterscoth Krimpet cake with breyers ice cream.

Sweetzls (I finally realized what you meant -- I didn't realize they were local, but I guess I haven't seen them here.) Would have been nice with water ice. Might still do the water ice as a snack for later on. Or as a palate cleanser :smile:

The menu looks great Behemoth and I now I have a new thing I must try... The butterscotch krimpets! (read a little about them onliine). I love butterscotch so it sounds like a fun thing to try.

I've only visited Philly a few times but did manage to have some great cheese steaks and pork sandwiches there; I must keep something like this in mind for party sometime. My biggest personal 'food' party to date was for ~ 25 people (Carolina BBQ) and it is a lot of work--but it sounds like you are planning things well. Thanks for sharing with us!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

The menu looks great Behemoth and I now I have a new thing I must try... The butterscotch krimpets!  (read a little about them onliine).  I love butterscotch so it sounds like a fun thing to try.

Butterscotch Krimpets are the very best commercial sweet ever known to man. I just love them. And they're strategically placed right by the cash register in many stores for that last minute impulse purchase. Because who could resist? :rolleyes: It is a constant battle of willpower at the checkout...

Actually most of the Tastykake products are really good, especially for commercially packaged "junk food". But the Butterscotch Krimpets will always hold a special place in my heart. Who doesn't love butterscotch? :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katy, I think we need to invent a philadelphia cocktail. Wishniak cherry, rum and soda with rock salt (for pretzels) around the rim?

Whoa, check it out. I just looked at my Mixer's Manual from 1956, and there is something called the Philadelphia Scotchman. no scotch though, this drink contains applejack, port and orange juice.

Ooh, a betsey ross: brandy, port, bitters, curacao.

what's with the port?

Katy, I think we need to invent a philadelphia cocktail. Wishniak cherry, rum and soda with rock salt (for pretzels) around the rim?

Whoa, check it out. I just looked at my Mixer's Manual from 1956, and there is something called the Philadelphia Scotchman. no scotch though, this drink contains applejack, port and orange juice.

what's with the port?

Colonial city, colonial drink? I don't know. The only thing I can think of is that Philly was an important port (as in ships coming in with cargo) that might have had a lot of commerce in port (as in the fortified wine).

Wishniak soda would make a decent mixer with Bourbon I think. Kind of an alternative to Jack & Coke. Has absolutely nothing to do with Philadelphia though, other than the substitution of the soda as a mixer.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I can't think of another Philly beverage (non alcoholic, that is). Black cherry soda is the tip!

I'm a bit leary of holding onto the philly soft pretzels for more than a day. Maybe if you call the company you could verify that they can be frozen.

I also wonder if Amoroso (rolls) is willing to sell to private persons vs. restaurants. They basically ship frozen rolls, for thawing and baking.

Philadelphia the movie might be kind of a downer, but Witness might work. I've never seen it. I have a deep and abiding love of Philadelphia Story, but it's not a Main Line party, dahling  :laugh:  6th Sense might work, since there is some philly scenery. Oh wait, 12 monkeys has all that great footage of the prison! I need to do some research.

Umm, forget all those and just watch Rocky.

Make a marinara sauce in case some eaters wanna turn their cheesesteak into a pizzasteak. 

South Philadelphia Translation: "Make a pot of gravy."

Marinara and gravy are two separate things although they are both red.

You don't have any meat in a Marinara; gravy has sausages, meatballs etc.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

The menu looks great Behemoth and I now I have a new thing I must try... The butterscotch krimpets!  (read a little about them onliine).  I love butterscotch so it sounds like a fun thing to try.

Butterscotch Krimpets are the very best commercial sweet ever known to man. I just love them. And they're strategically placed right by the cash register in many stores for that last minute impulse purchase. Because who could resist? :rolleyes: It is a constant battle of willpower at the checkout...

Actually most of the Tastykake products are really good, especially for commercially packaged "junk food". But the Butterscotch Krimpets will always hold a special place in my heart. Who doesn't love butterscotch? :wub:

Hear Hear. I'm right with you.

For a commerical snack Tastykakes really the best. Little debbie and Hostess aren't even in the same universe much less ballpark.

I remember that Krimpets were packaged in wax paper when I was a kid. They were slightly stale then. Now in modern packaging they are soft and fresh; so I leave one out to 'cure'.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

If you had access to a slicer maybe you could just get a boneless rib roast and run it through....Costco and BJs sell the pretzles frozen :cool:

We used to run Eye Round roasts through the slicer to make "beefsteak" ...paper thin sliced beef swished through boiling hot garlic butter then piled on white bread, bend forward fold and eat

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Hear Hear.  I'm right with you.

For a commerical snack Tastykakes really the best. Little debbie and Hostess aren't even in the same universe much less ballpark.

I remember that Krimpets were packaged in wax paper when I was a kid. They were slightly stale then. Now in modern packaging they are soft and fresh; so I leave one out to 'cure'.

I have to disagree here. I've lived in tastycake-land for 14 or so years now, and while some are pretty decent (I've always thought the coffee cakes were way too dry, and the doughnuts had a weird artificial (yet appealing) taste to them) most of it is so-so. Now, I feel I am betraying neighboring Philly by saying it, but, really, I don't think Tastycakes rank up as a major culinary draw. Or it could just be me... but really, give me a little debbie oatmeal cream pie or nutty buddy anyday...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I have to disagree here.  I've lived in tastycake-land for 14 or so years now, and while some are pretty decent (I've always thought the coffee cakes were way too dry, and the doughnuts had a weird artificial (yet appealing) taste to them) most of it is so-so.  Now, I feel I am betraying neighboring Philly by saying it, but, really, I don't think Tastycakes rank up as a major culinary draw.  Or it could just be me... but really, give me a little debbie oatmeal cream pie or nutty buddy anyday...

Are low carb people allowed to critique tastycake? I think not! :wink:

Sorry guys, no access to slicer. No BJs, no TJs, no Costco. We're talking rural Midwest. Not like bucks country rural. Not even like york pennsylvania rural. I mean I can see the storms coming in from 5 hours away rural.

Trust me, it will be fine. That's what I keep telling myself.... :rolleyes:

Are low carb people allowed to critique tastycake? I think not! :wink:

Hehe, hey, I wasn't always low-carb ;)

Though, I will concede that tastycakes far outperform any pre-made LC baked goods I have purchased.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Hear Hear.  I'm right with you.

I have to disagree here. I've lived in tastycake-land for 14 or so years now, and while some are pretty decent (I've always thought the coffee cakes were way too dry, and the doughnuts had a weird artificial (yet appealing) taste to them) most of it is so-so. Now, I feel I am betraying neighboring Philly by saying it, but, really, I don't think Tastycakes rank up as a major culinary draw. Or it could just be me... but really, give me a little debbie oatmeal cream pie or nutty buddy anyday...

Perhaps that weird taste was a chocolate coating rather than the vegetable oil based "choclately" coating the other guys use :smile:

The reason they are in business is because people have different tastes. You like them, I did a "curly howard spitting out a drink that turned out to be paint" reaction with LD Nutty bars.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Wishniak soda would make a decent mixer with Bourbon I think.  Kind of an alternative to Jack & Coke.  Has absolutely nothing to do with Philadelphia though, other than the substitution of the soda as a mixer.

how about any cocktail with jacquin's!

edited to say: for those who live other places, jacquin's is a local liquor maker--you know all those bottles of dekuyper mixers you see in bars? in philadelphia they're often made by jacquin's. creme de menthes, cassis, cacaos, butterscotchs, berry brandies, cheap vodkas, all that kinda stuff....

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

Hey guess what. My butcher said he would slice the ribeye for me. It's about $9 per lb. though, so we will need to talk quantities once we get the total number of guests and before I put in an order. I must be a good customer, he volunteered when I told him what I was up to, no charge for labor. :wub: I may offer him a couple hoagie rolls as thanks :smile:

So. tell me what you know about roast pork. I once did a whole shoulder, cubano style. It was amazing but it made a LOT of sandwiches. What would you do with a loin?

what's with the port?

Colonial city, colonial drink? I don't know. The only thing I can think of is that Philly was an important port (as in ships coming in with cargo) that might have had a lot of commerce in port (as in the fortified wine).

Wishniak soda would make a decent mixer with Bourbon I think. Kind of an alternative to Jack & Coke. Has absolutely nothing to do with Philadelphia though, other than the substitution of the soda as a mixer.

Thus the call sign "WIP."

Anybody remember Ken Garland? How about Sally Starr? Chief Halftown? Noah's Ark? Gene London? Lorenzo the Clown? Wee Willie Webber?

Those were the days.

Oh, yes, food, sorry.

Did anyone mention pepper pot? Don't know if this is a good recipe or not: http://www.kitchenproject.com/kpboard/reci...perPotstory.htm. The Inky ran a recipe a few years ago, which I think I still have saved somewhere.

Oh, almost forgot, the best part of Tasty Baking Co. are the fruit "coffin pies," pronounced in some 'hoods like "coofin piyus." Much preferred to anything from Hostess or Drake's. Speaking of which, Entenmann's has started making individual fruit pies, and they're pretty good for a sugar fix.

Edited by Furious Flav-or (log)

Oh, almost forgot, the best part of Tasty Baking Co. are the fruit "coffin pies," pronounced in some 'hoods like "coofin piyus." Much preferred to anything from Hostess or Drake's. Speaking of which, Entenmann's has started making individual fruit pies, and they're pretty good for a sugar fix.

Oh boy, how did I forget those. Yeah, those things rocked. I especially loved the french apple and the chocolate eclair versions.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

So -- what do I need to know about roasting pork to make it "Philly Style". Anybody?

I think you will be better off with country style ribs, boneless if you can get them. They are cuts from the shoulder, but available in much smaller quantities. Also they will cook faster because of greater surface area. I'd cook them is a crock pot or a 250F oven until they start to fall apart. A pork loin will just not be the same.

If you end up using a loin, roast in a 350F oven to an internal temperature of 145 to 150. Beyond that it will dry out. 145 pork will be slightly pink. Slice thinly and serve.

Jim

So -- what do I need to know about roasting pork to make it "Philly Style". Anybody?

here's how i do it (and keep in mind here that this procedure isn't exactly 'authentic' but since you're using a different cut of meat to start with, this approximates the flavor):

basically you cut and 'unroll' the pork loin so that you have a flat piece about 1/2 inch thick or so*. then you make an herb/garlic paste with a bunch of garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, maybe some marjoram if you like that. spread that all over the pork loin, and then re-roll it. roast it in a slow-ish oven at about 300-325 or so on a rack over a pan that has some water and/or white wine (this will catch the fat that drips off and make the juice) until it's done. it takes a little longer than you might expect, and you'll probably have to put more water in the pan.

*this is where, when they do it for real, they season the shoulder inside when they debone it, before re-tying it

OK while it's roasting, clean a bunch of broccoli rabe, blanch it/shock it, and then saute it in olive oil with a bunch of garlic, seasoned with salt (and hot pepper flakes if you like it a little spicy--they do with their spinach at dinic's; i'm not sure they do with the broccoli rabe at tony luke's). set aside. if you can't get broccoli rabe, just do a massive pile of sauteed spinach.

so then when the meat is done, let the thing rest for a while, and in the meantime get the pan with the juice in it (which will have all kindsa grease on/in it), and heat that up with any other juice that comes out of the meat while it's resting, and a little more water if you need to--you want a nice greasy flavorful juice. slice the meat thin, return it to the juice and keep it all warm in a chafing dish.

then get aged provolone, and slice it.

when someone orders a sandwich, put in the provolone, put in the meat with a slotted spoon, don't worry about the fact that you're soaking the roll with the juice, and then top it with some broccoli rabe. put it on waxed paper or deli paper. serve it with a fork. eat it fast--the longer it sits around the more the bread disintegrates.

jmcgrath is right about the temp--that's the other main difference between the cuts. since shoulder has so much fat and connective tissue, you have to slow-roast it, and you can take it to a much higher temp than loin. so your loin will remain a little pink, while a real roast pork sandwich is always ... not pink. however, consider that you're serving it sitting in the juice, so it won't hurt the sandwich too much if it dries out a little.

how's that for a starter?

edited to clarify and to add that last paragraph

Edited by mrbigjas (log)