• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bar Americain

Daniel

I guess there isn't much I can do right now. I am going with a group that can test this place. One person is almost a vegetarian, another a steak lover, a person who likes to eat fish and myself who would either fall in the the category of steak lover or fish or lamb or anything:-).

Thanks for reminding me :biggrin:

Overall it was a good experience. Here is my experience:

It was a dinner for my mom's birthday. There were 4 of us.

Upon arrival we were quickly offered to have our coats taken, when the rest of our party was taken we were quickly seated. The first impression was the level of noise. While nice, it was hard to hear. The menu offered a variety of selections to appeal to everyone. We were quickly greeted and while we were not having cocktails we were going to have wine. The sommilier was a little doofy and I think my dad was looking for an overall recommendation (he was having trouble deciding between two wines and we explained what type of dishes we were having but the sommilier said both were good so my dad decided on a nice Australian)The waiter came promptly to ask if we had any questions. There were lots of options and I was having a hard time to decide what I wanted.

While we mostly like steak, there many of us decided to order dishes other than steak. We ordered three appetizers. Crawfish & Dungeness Crab Cake, Grilled Pizza with Smoked Trout and Smoked Salmonl and 1/2 dozen Oysters. All were very good. (I really liked the pizza's flavors but it seemed as if it was made ahead and the dough a little chewy but I would order it again.) The crab cake was really good with not a lot if any bread, I don't like oysters but there were 3 pairs of different oysters from varying places.

For main courses we ordered, Wild Mushroom Salad, Quinoa, Aged Goat Cheese (an appetizer for my girlfriend), I ordered a lamb dish, we orded mussels and a duck dish. All were excellent. (I wasn't sure about the correct cooking of the lamb so I ordered it medium rare but the waiter was no help). We also ordered a side of aspargus which was excellent as well.

It is important to note that the service started to slow between the appetizers and main courses (we didn't seem to notice the time delay but let it be noted we arrived at 7:30 and were promply seated). It seemed to take forever to order dessert but what was annoying was that the restaurant was clearing out and the waiter was chatting it up with a patron at the bar without any concern for us. (We were seated right by the waiter/busboy server station.) We ordered two desserts. A Deep Dish Chocolate Cream Pie and a Caramel Whiskey Éclairs having worked in pastry kitchens both were excellent. But the Caramel Whiskey Éclairs in my opinion should not have been dipped in caramel. With the sauce it was too sweet. (It would have been fine with out the crunch caramel.) Being a chocolholic I really liked the Chocolate Cream Pie.

So this is where the service/time got to us. The coffee came promptly but it seemed to take forever to get a second cup of coffee. Our waiter, never seemed to notice us so we had to ask a busboy for second cups. He did come promptly and brought the coffee. Then the check came and we were ready to leave. (We got our coats ourselves only because we were all waiting there for people to leave the restrooms so we handed our tickets to the attendant). Overall, I think we left at 10:30pm. I feel that three hours was a little too long to be there but they didn't rush us. Other than the overall noise level (too high) and sitting for a little too long (i think 2-2:30 hours would be more acceptable), we really enjoyed the food. I went to the book store to see if the pizza or mushroom salad were in any of Bobby Flay's cookbooks because they were great dishes that my girlfriend wants me to make again. I found the chocolate cream pie in an issue of chocolatier magazine and I would be making that sometime soon. I don't know if we would go back if only for the reason to try new places in the city. But for business dinners and events I would go back.

Let me know if anyone has any more questions or want any more details.

Jeff

We were happy with the portions.

Edited by jturn00 (log)

• 2 months later...

Let me start this with saying that I am not a big fan of Bobby Flay on TV.

I've been to Mesa Grill twice and both meals were very good.

I went to Cafe Americain on Wed with a fellow egulleteer (who knows the house) before the Ranger game. We went in at 5:15 and were seated immediately and told the waitstaff that we needed to be out by 7PM. We ordered a half bottle of Alsacean to have with the seafood tower ($65) that we had ordered. Four types of oysters, clams,stone crab claws, three types of mussles, Scallop cerviche, razor clam cerviche, U16 shrimp, scallops and a number delicious dipping sauces. It was was easily enough for four, a bargain considering the amount of selections and the quantity. We followed this with a Strip steak to split ($36) and a cauliflower gratain ($8). We drank a bottle we had brought with us, an excellent 1990 St Julien. The steak was a little overdone for me (I like it black and blue), but the cauliflower was delicous. We finished with creampuffs with a whiskey sauce. Overall an excellent meal with top notch service that got us out on time.

Btw, the place was packed when we left and still had a good crowd when we returned at 9:45. I fould the accoustics lively ,but I could speak and be heard and there was good table seperation.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

• 1 year later...

Has Bruni reviewed Bar Americain? I seem to remember that he had. If so, I can't find it, which makes me think that he hasn't. I'd appreciate a link, if anyone can find it.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

bingo.

I mean, Spice Market was honestly good in the early going. not Hesser's three stars good. but honestly good. two stars would have been very legitimate. especially considering the theatrical nature of the space (and that it wasn't overpriced considering).

I've been here many times and have found the food quality good, but not revolutionary or cutting edge. What I do find quite good is their wine list and the cold seafood tower. The service has alway been top notch and the sommelier knows his stuff. If you drive, there always seems to be street parking within a block. The room is lively and you can have a conversation without screaming or listening to others conversations. In todays enviroment that says alot.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.