• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Uses for Marshmallows

M. Lucia

So, for some odd reason I have found myself in possession of a very large bag of marshmallows and I'm looking for ways to use them up.

I already made chocolate fudge with them (which was a hit with my friends).

Smores and topping for sweet potatoes are traditional. Rocky road ice cream.

Do you have other uses for marshmallows? Favorite recipes? Please share!

Of course, if they go bad they only cost 89 cents, I am just loathe to let anything go to waste.

well i came up with my very own recipe around christmas time that utilized marhmallows...it was a candy...wish i could share the recipe with you but its catually going to be a corenrstone recipe in our business so i cant really give away the secret...but i can agree...rice krispies treats...you make those and every kid in the enighborhood is going to love you for a while..especailly if you are sending them home with some.... :laugh:

a recipe is merely a suggestion

Thhanks for the ideas everyone!

The bakeries around here sell cocoa krispy or fruit loop treats that are cute. a possibility...

If you decorate cakes, Marshmallow Fondant.

Do you have a recipe? I make "mock fondant" every now and then for cakes, and I'm sure I could find an occaison to make marshmallow fondant.

well i came up with my very own recipe around christmas time  that utilized  marhmallows...it was a  candy...wish i could share the recipe with you  but  its catually going to be  a  corenrstone recipe  in our  business  so i cant really give away the secret

What, not even a hint?

:raz:

Here you go...

Marshmallow Fondant (should easily cover a 9-inch wide 3-inch high cake)

2 cups mini marshmallows (just cut up the bigger ones)

2 tablespoons water

3 cups powdered sugar (sifted)

Flavoring

Melt the marshmallows together with the water for 15 seconds. Stir. Zap again for another few seconds. Stir.

Pour this (be careful: use a scraper, do not touch with your fingers, it's very hot) into the powdered sugar well. I use my Kenwood dough hook to knead. Simple.

Add water by the teaspoonfuls if it appears too dry. Add some powdered sugar if too wet.

Yummy!

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Why would anybody, at anytime, throw a marshmallow on something as perfectly wonderful as a sweet potato? :blink:

Because if you toss on some candied pecans and lots of butter too, it makes it a lot more tasty.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Great binder for making soft and chewy granola bars. Follow the recipe for Rice Krispies Treats, but substitute 3 tbsp oil for the butter, and any combination of toasted oats, toasted chopped nuts, toasted seeds, wheat germ, bran, and chopped dried fruit for the 6 cups Rice Krispies. I add spices like cinnamon and ginger. To make chocolate-chip granola bars, I add vanilla extract and frozen chocolate chips that are sprinkled in evenly as I scrape the hot mixture into the greased pan.

Edited by browniebaker (log)

Thanks TP, I'll be using the fondant recipe should the opportunity arise!

As for eating them plain, I find store bought marshmallows pretty noxious by themselves. I was thinking of making squares with a kashi-type cereal, so that granola bar idea is right up my alley.

Like Marlene said,Rice Krispie Squares!  Add salted peanuts & some sesame seeds & it almost tastes like a Southeast Asian sweet!

Thanks for this idea PPX; sounds quite interesting... and I'm one of few apparent weirdos who doesn't really like rice krispy treats!

I like the idea of a little salty component in them. Also thinking it would be good to bring along on hikes but I don't know how susceptible rice krispie treats are to travel.

If it's not extremely hot will they hold up a bit or do they get really gooey right quick???

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

mee krob (crispy thai noodle dish)

You make mee krob with marshmallows? I've been looking for a mee krob recipe for a while and trying to persuade my local Thai cooks to make it (without success.)

Bode