• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outdoor Cocktails

tommy

my friends and i are always looking for outdoor cocktails in midtown for the late afternoon weekday.  the problem is, they seem to be few and far btwn.

the few that i do know of in midtown specifically are:

beer bar at cafe centro - let's face it, it's "outside", but it's also directly under park ave.  not ideal.

bryant park - ugh.  i'm not sure who is worse there:  the staff or the customers.  great spot, but horrible people.

rudy's - c'mon!  that's no "outdoor beer garden!!!"  it's an alley for cryin out loud.

are there any other options in midtown?  i know of a few in the east village, but that's just not on my way.  to be specific, i'm looking for a place where you can stand up so that it's easy to talk to the ladies, rather than sitting down at a table talking to my ugly friends.

You can sit outside the Caliente Cab Co in the West Village and drink frozen margaritas out of cardboard cups.  Of course, they're atrocious.  :biggrin:

I wonder if the bar on top of the Penninsula hotel is still open.  Outdoors, nice view.  Used to get packed after work, and took too long to get served, but if it's open it might help you to while away your empty afternoons.   Several venues around Rock Plaza have outside seating, primarily I think for dining - but again, they might let you booze the afternoon away.  And isn't there some dodgy looking place on Sixth called Martini's with lots of outside tables?  (On second thoughts, Seventh, not far from the New York Sheraton).

Then, of course, you could lay in a stock of brown paper bags and buy some bottles and ice.

You can sit outside the Caliente Cab Co in the West Village

i said that i don't want to sit.

Several venues around Rock Plaza have outside seating, primarily I think for dining

And isn't there some dodgy looking place on Sixth called Martini's with lots of outside tables?  

thanks for your help wilfrid.

Heaven help me, it's like trying to educate a bowl of porridge, isn't it?

You don't want to sit, don't sit.  If your request is specifically for an outside drinking area in Manhattan which has no seating available, I am unable to help and I wish you luck.

Incidentally, do you introduce all your ugly friends as "your uncle", or is that my special privilege?

Work friends sometimes go to the 16th Deacon Brodie's  on 46th St btwn 8th and 9th Ave. A fine bar, though no outdoor part. But they will rip all the chairs out upon request!

I second the bar on the roof of the Peninsula. To drink outdoors in midtown, it is necessary to be many floors up.

I don't know if it's open yet but the rooftop bar at the Hotel Metro on 35th St has only a few tables, so it's likely they'll be taken, and you can stand. Nice view of the Empire State Building.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

I was riding my bike up the path by the river on the East side,around mid-30's (maybe high 20's),and there is a restaurant right on the river with a deck.  Looked like it might be a cool spot for a cocktail or two.  Didn't catch the name as I was riding by and don't know anything else about it.  Just thought, "hey - looks like a good place for a beer."

Tommy,

I advise sitting for you may well fall down drunk otherwise.

Anyway, what do you mean you don't want to sit?  You can stand and drink anywhere you choose; try a bottle in a paper bag on the subway.

I'm not getting this concept.  Whats so special about standing and drinking?  Frankly, to me, that sucks bigtime. An outdoor bar that doesn't have seats?  Who in their right mind would want that?  Well, I guess I answered my own question.

Anyway, what do you mean you don't want to sit?  You can stand and drink anywhere you choose; try a bottle in a paper bag on the subway.

I'm not getting this concept.  Whats so special about standing and drinking?  

but, like, i'm not old.

but like, i'm not old.

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.  Did I forget my emoticon?  Did you? :wow:

i must have left my emoticon in my other suit.  i'll bring it in tomorrow!  :wink:

but really, sitting when at a bar isn't for me, usually.  i prefer the socializing aspect.  talking to strangers.  getting to know them...well, as much as you can get to know someone at a bar.  i've had some wonderful conversations with people at bars.  i suppose, in a way, bars are kind of like egullet.  and no one sits at egullet.  we stand and wander and babble.  and babble.

full disclosure:  for anyone who doesn't know, stefanyb is one helluva attractive woman, and my comment about age was nothing less than the equivalent of a schoolboy tugging at a girl's hair.   :biggrin:

I'm not getting this concept.  Whats so special about standing and drinking?  Frankly, to me, that sucks bigtime.

Standing and drinking beats drinking and falling down just about any day.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Tommy,  I see lots of people standing around outside OTB parlors sharing intimate conversation, companionship and enjoying outdoor cocktails packaged in small bottles in brown paper bags.  There are even "ladies" present. There's one of these near the Papaya King on third ave. at 86th street.

I know it's slightly off-topic, but would a beer at that Water Club place be a good idea or no?  Am I better off at the S. Street zoo or somewhere in Brooklyn for a cocktail by the river?  Don't know why but drinks and sitting (OK or standing or milling or whatever T has in mind) near water seem to go together for me.

I said Water Club, because that's the only restaurant I could think of that fitted your description.  There's a nice spacious bar inside, and you can dine overlooking the river.  I haven't noticed the deck - but that doesn't mean there isn't one.  From memory, I've only been there at night and in winter.  Maybe give them a call to see if they serve drinks outside?  I should think the view would be fine if they do.

Tommy,  I see lots of people standing around outside OTB parlors sharing intimate conversation, companionship and enjoying outdoor cocktails packaged in small bottles in brown paper bags.  There are even "ladies" present. There's one of these near the Papaya King on third ave. at 86th street.

although a woman with less than a full compliment of teeth is sometimes desirable, perhaps that should be saved for saturaday night at 2 am, rather than thursday afternoon at 5.  but thanks for your suggestion.   :smile:

Incidentally, do you introduce all your ugly friends as "your uncle", or is that my special privilege?

Put's you in the same category as the infamous Chris ("Knives, Kforks & Kspoons, A Kulinary Roundtable") Shaw.  I'm not sure if that's bad, but it might not be good.

The Critical Diner

"If posts to eGullet became the yardstick of productivity, Tommy would be the ruler of the free world." -- Fat Guy