• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

montpelier vermont?

is there anything good to eat in montpelier, especially tasty ethnics eats on the cheap. I will be up there for 7 months, not afraid of flavor either. any hints would be helpful, thanx

My favorite restaurants in Montpelier are Connoscenti's (sophisticated Italian), and Royal Orchid (Thai). I haven't tried the Black Door (French bistro meets American comfort food) yet, but I hear from my friends that it's very, very good.

The New England Culinary Institute runs several pretty good places. Try the Sunday brunch at the Main St. Grill and Bar or the cakes and pastries at La Brioche.

One of the most charming things about Montpelier is its small size. All of the places I've mentioned are, at most, a three minute walk from each other. Welcome to my home town.

thanx, im going to be attending NECI, thats why im moving up there, any Vietnamese? im a pho junkie

No Vietnamese places in Montpelier as of yet. I have to drive 45 minutes to Burlington for a bowl of pho. On a side note, I tried the Black Door last night. It's a bistro in name only. New American (crab cakes, fancy burgers) is what they do. Food was good, especially the venison pot stickers. See you around town in your checks and whites. :smile:

Blue-collar New England diner food at its finest: The Wayside, in Berlin on the Barre-Montpelier Road (Rt 302).

I haven't been in VT in a couple years, but I used to live in Concord NH and I would detour an hour out of my way just for the Wayside's banana cream pie. Hit some of those other places when you're feeling fancy, but when the wallet's thin and you need something soul-warming, head for the Wayside.

Blue-collar New England diner food at its finest: The Wayside, in Berlin on the Barre-Montpelier Road (Rt 302).

I haven't been in VT in a couple years, but I used to live in Concord NH and I would detour an hour out of my way just for the Wayside's banana cream pie. Hit some of those other places when you're feeling fancy, but when the wallet's thin and you need something soul-warming, head for the Wayside.

How could I forget the Wayside? Their pies are to die for! Especially the maple cream. Plus, in among the typical diner offerings you'll find real old-timey regional dishes such as creamed salt cod, fried pickled tripe, and eggs poached in maple syrup. They offer venison stew during hunting season and fresh lake perch in Winter. And the prices are ideal for a student on a budget.