• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ranges/Cooktops/Ovens

kiliki

I opted for a rangetop and double wall ovens....The rangetop is the pro stainless look but with it you loose a drawer compared to a similar cooktop.

what's the difference between a rangetop and a cooktop?

Cooktop has the burners and controls on the same surface, whereas a rangetop has the controls on the front. The difference is the rangetop gives you more cooking area in the same amount of space because of the lack of handles. Rangetops generally tend to be of a higher quality than cooktops.

A.

I used to think high-end ranges were limited to Viking. Then Viking and Wolf. Now it seems that everyone is doing it: Viking, Wolf, DCS, GE Monogram, Thermadore, Bosch (great jig saws too), and many more.

I guess there are three ways to judge these things: BTUs, Appearance and reputation? I do like the Thermadore star burner.

my previous ovens were GE monogram and due to smaller cabinets, were too small for a large roasting pan or baking sheets.

you just answered a question for me - that's why I'll need to be sure I bring some of my equipment to check out - I may still be leaning toward a range, rather than breaking up the components.

The designer talked me out of soapstone.

Was that because of the staining/cleanup issues? I really prefer the "soft" look of soapstone to "hard/bright" granite etc. though I could go with honed granite. [i don't mean to hijack this thread - just wanted to get in my question here where it had been raised]

• 11 months later...

It's time for a new range, but a remodel isn't in the cards. Our limitations include:

*We've only got 30" to work with;

*Must have downdraft (the idiots who built our house put an exhaust in for the downdraft, but the hood doesn't exhaust!); and

*I want gas burners--an electric oven would be nice but isn't required.

All of my research keeps coming down to one option: a Jenn-Air. (Really, only Jenn-Air makes a 30" with downdraft.)

Does anyone have experience with these ranges? All models have sealed burners, which I was hoping to avoid.

Actually, all I'm looking for is reassurance--since I don't have any other options, can someone tell me I won't be disappointed?

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

It's time for a new range, but a remodel isn't in the cards.  Our limitations include:

*We've only got 30" to work with;

*Must have downdraft (the idiots who built our house put an exhaust in for the downdraft, but the hood doesn't exhaust!); and

*I want gas burners--an electric oven would be nice but isn't required.

All of my research keeps coming down to one option:  a Jenn-Air.  (Really, only Jenn-Air makes a 30" with downdraft.)

Does anyone have experience with these ranges?  All models have sealed burners, which I was hoping to avoid.

Actually, all I'm looking for is reassurance--since I don't have any other options, can someone tell me I won't be disappointed?

I had a Jenn-Air, around 15 years ago so I don't know how pertinent my experience will be but ... I didn't like it. It had the downdraft vent which worked fine. And gas burners with an electric oven. But it never did heat quite hot enough and the exhaust fan wasn't quite strong enough. I ended up replacing it with a Wolf (before it got bought by SubZero) and putting in new exhaust piping. I had to run the exhaust through the garage at least 20 feet to the outside. I have a Vent-a-hood and it works great with this system.

I wish I could tell you that you'll be happy but I'm not so sure. I ended up giving the Jenn-Air to my sister-in-law (after only a couple of years) and she used it only a few more years before replacing it.

Sorry.

Even though my old oven gave out almost three years ago I held off replacing it because the 40" I really wanted would require a remodle. When the old oven came on of it's own accord one night a few weeks ago, after three years of inactivity, I just wanted it out of the house altogether and had to keep the gas shut off. I am not yet ready to remodel so the 40" was out. I found the Jenn Air dual fuel, 5 burner, double oven with both a proofing and convection setting in stainless that I wanted. I have not used it a great deal. It seems quite well made and all five burners have a low setting that was quite hard to achieve on the old (Whirlpool). There is no more squinting at the flame to get it low without it going out. I have used the proof setting and am quite happy with it. I have only baked bread in the larger oven, but have used the smaller oven a little more. It heats up quite fast (550 in about 10 min). The range has a timer for each oven and, so far I have no complaints. I believe the Jenn Air is made by Maytag. I have no experience with down draft, but perhaps, onehsancare, you will find some reassurance from my experience.

HC

Have recently been offered an opportunity to "try out a few recipes" to compare various Wolf cooktops and ovens. Electric ovens, wall style, and also gas.

My personal experience has been limited to the regular old electric coil range (but it works really well for canning), a Whirlpool Gold gas range, and the persnickity commercial ranges at work.

Any caveats, words of wisdom, etc. are appreciated.

Karen Dar Woon

• 1 year later...

As I mentioned yesterday in another topic, I am in need of a new slide-in electric range with a downdraft. Would anyone who has experience with Jennairs or comparable ranges please give me the benefit of your wisdom? I'm expecting to spend about $2K. Thanks.

(edetted bekuz ah kant spel.)

Edited by Special K (log)

I have been shopping for a range as well. As far as down-drafts go, all I have seen is Jenn-Air. My in-laws have a 20+ old Jenn-Air with down draft and it works better than more up to date stove with an under-the-cabinet microwave vent.

Is putting in a vented hood an option? I current have an electric stove and like I said a microwave "vent" that just spits all my smoke back in the room. I typically take the batteries out of my fire alarms when doing any high heat cooking :raz:

I am looking at putting in a gas or dual-range electrolux with a ventahood. I am going to put a whole in the wall and vent outside. The total cost for this will probably be around $3600 based on the quoted I received.

Range: $2600

Hood: $600

Installation/Carpentry/Plumbing: $500

I was also looking at the GE Cafe, but I have been swayed towards the Electrolux. I like the features, and the design. I have also heard that the Cafe is not built well. Does anyone else have any pros/cons between these two?

1. 30" Dual-Fuel Built-In Range with Wave-Touch™ Controls (EW30DS65GS)

2. GE Cafe™ Free Standing Dual-Fuel Range Model#: C2S980SEMSS

Also what about all gas vs. dual fuel? Is is worth the extra $100 bucks for the dual range?

I have been shopping for a range as well. As far as down-drafts go, all I have seen is Jenn-Air. My in-laws have a 20+ old Jenn-Air with down draft and it works better than more up to date stove with an under-the-cabinet microwave vent.

Is putting in a vented hood an option? I current have an electric stove and like I said a microwave "vent" that just spits all my smoke back in the room. I typically take the batteries out of my fire alarms when doing any high heat cooking  :raz:

I am looking at putting in a gas or dual-range electrolux with a ventahood. I am going to put a whole in the wall and vent outside. The total cost for this will probably be around $3600 based on the quoted I received.

Range: $2600

Hood: $600

Installation/Carpentry/Plumbing: $500

I was also looking at the GE Cafe, but I have been swayed towards the Electrolux. I like the features, and the design. I have also heard that the Cafe is not built well. Does anyone else have any pros/cons between these two?

1. 30" Dual-Fuel Built-In Range with Wave-Touch™ Controls (EW30DS65GS)

2. GE Cafe™ Free Standing Dual-Fuel Range Model#: C2S980SEMSS

Also what about all gas vs. dual fuel? Is is worth the extra $100 bucks for the dual range?

I know one person who got the new Electrolux Dual-Fuel 30 in range last September and immediately had problems with the oven - apparently the wiring harness for the probe had a flaw and caused the oven to shut down at odd times, even when the probe was not being used. After several service calls he gave up and returned the range and got a Jenn-Air that has two ovens. I thought it sounded odd but when I saw it, I was impressed. So far it has worked out great. He got a good deal at Pacific Sales $1540. for the range, delivered and installed. I don't know where you are located but a lot of places are hungry for customers so you have plenty of leverage right now.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I can't do gas or dual fuel because putting in a gas line is too expensive, and I don't want a glass top because I often use heavy cast iron pots and I'm clumsy. :blink: I can't do a vent hood because the range goes under a window. (Not too picky, am I?)

I've been looking at Jennair, but the only one I see that would work for me has the downdraft down the middle of the cooktop, rather than in the back, as my current Dacor does. I don't want another Dacor (been very unhappy with the current one). I'm thinking that the downdraft down the center will take up valuable real estate. So, does anyone know of another brand of slide in electric with the downdraft across the back? Thanks.

(edited to remove a stray comma)

Edited by Special K (log)

When we bought our house 5 years ago it still had the JennAire cooktop which had been installed when it was built in 1987 with a center downdraft. I hated that thing -- you could actually SEE the smoke going UP into the room rather than down the draftvent so when 2 burners gave up the ghost (on xmas eve, of course) we immediately replaced it.

We WANT a gas cooktop but aren't planning to install a gas line until we redo the kitchen (next year?) so we put in a GE Profile glass/ceramic cooktop, again with a center downdraft, that we paid around 1k for at the end of 2007.

(Unfortunately, I didn't do enough research because I HATE GLASS COOKTOPS! They are so sensitive to scraching and discoloration that the only cookware you can use is something with a very smooth flat bottom like All Clad. So, ours is scratched and dirty after only one year.)

The GE downdraft works better than the old JennAire's but we STILL have grease spatters on the fridge, which is about 4 feet from the cooktop, whenever we fry anything, and both the grill and the filter need to be washed afterwards or the whole kitchen smells of what ever was last cooked. The installation people told us we needed to start the downdraft about 10 minutes before turning on the burner but 1) I rarely remember to do that and 2) when I do, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The center downdraft does prevent me from using a 14" pan on those burners but so do the center control knobs in the front. I think a rear mounted downdraft would be just as bad.

The bottom line FOR ME is that the downdrafts just don't work. Our last house had a Viking range and hood and although the hood was filthy, the house never smelled and all the grease was on the hood, not the stove or the rest of the kitchen. I will never agree to a downdraft again, ever.

Why don't you look into those new-fangled hoods made of glass? There are some really innovative designs available that you might be able to use in front of a window. Does anyone make one that's retractable -- you pull it down when you need it? ANYTHING to avoid a downdraft....

Edited by barbhealy (log)

(Unfortunately, I didn't do enough research because I HATE GLASS COOKTOPS!  They are so sensitive to scraching and discoloration that the only cookware you can use is something with a very smooth flat bottom like All Clad.  So, ours is scratched and dirty after only one year.)

We bought a house with a Kenmore glass cooktop range in good condition. After 2-1/2 years of heavy use, lots of cast iron frypan and dutch oven cooking, it looks just like it did when we moved in, except for a few nicks in the white enamel surround. We use Cooktop Magic when needed, but generally just a wet cloth to clean it up after cooking. A breeze! Ours is gray with black burner areas.

Special K:

On the downdraft issue - could you install a cooktop with a separate down draft behind? This would allow you to get a higher quality vent by Best, Broan, DCS, Viking, or Zephyr. Ether install an oven below (tricky to find the right combo) or in another location at a better elevation. Since you did not specify, I am guessing you have a standard 30" wide space. Maytag is the same as Jenn-Air by the way. Not much choice for electric plus downdraft.

KitchenAid has a smoothtop cooktop with integral downdraft vent.

• 2 weeks later...
Special K:

On the downdraft issue - could you install a cooktop with a separate down draft behind?

Thank you, TSquare. I was away for a while and just saw this today.

I just got back from Albert Lee ("Major appliances since 1936") and after backing and forthing with a very knowlegeable salesman (I hope), I decided on the downdraft slide-in JennAir electric with the burner cartridges (It comes with the grill assembly, which we probably won't use, because we use the Weber outside in all kinds of weather, but that's OK). Yes, it would be nice to go for a higher quality vent, but money and logistics make the JennAir the better choice for me. The oven is much larger than my current Dacor, and it has "MultiMode" convection. I think I'm going to be happy with it (I loved the JennAir I had years ago).

I got a pretty good deal, I think, because I also bought a new dishwasher (Miele Inspira). These two items, plus the refrigerator I bought a year and a half ago, are all I'll need for a while (Wait! Is that the microwave making funny noises now?) :raz:

• 2 weeks later...

Bucking the advice of folks in this thread, I went ahead and bought a Maytag Precision Touch 750 Series because Sears is the only stove seller in our town and I assumed service would be easier to come by. Well, just as previous commenters have said, just three months after the warranty expired the oven died on me. If this is such a common problem then me thinks I smell a rat! Anyway, the service person is on their way to charge me more money. Where's the class action lawyer when you need them?!

Since I wanted a good broiler  I opted for Gas throughout as opposed to a dual fuel range.  These two ranges had the best broilers I had seen and I think both were equal in this regard.

A good broiler is one of my priorities, too. Is yours an infrared? I've been assuming that's the best available for a non-commercial range.

All of the burners are dual ring, sealed, will go from a 140F simmer to 17,000 BTUs (natural gas).

What is a "dual ring" ?

There was a little discussion on another thread about the Blue Star range series (the new non-commercial brand name of what used to be Garland). On paper, it's still tops on my list, but I've yet to see one in person. Up to 22,000 BTUs. I once had an old Garland, still the best range I've ever used, so I'm very intrigued. Not cheap, but less than Wolf or Viking.

So three and a half year later, I can report that I finally had the courage (and money) to do my major kitchen renovation and that the star of the kitchen is indeed the 36" Blue Star. Love the 22,000 BTU star burners. Love the 140 BTU simmer burner. Love the infrared broiler. Am learning to love the convection oven, that's taking a little practice. It's been about six months now and I'm still pinching myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to be replacing my slide in gas kitchen range very soon (as soon as the tax man gives me my refund!), I found a few models in my price range (about 2500 all in)... any advice??

I looked at the KitchenAid Architect II, which looks great & has the features I want (convection, 2 stage burner) and some added cool features like bread proofing & different convection settings. But, I've seen mixed reviews.

Also interesting, costing less than the KitchenAid, is a Frigidaire, I think the Professional model, that also has convection.

Saw 2 different models of the Kenmore Elite (one of them had the 2 stage burner and one did not), both convection.

Anyone have any experience with these ranges?

Hi

I need recommendations for oven brands. I’m in need of a new wall oven. My old oven, an ariston, is now dying and I require a replacement. I’m eyeing a Miele but its price is rather .. on the steep end. Do you guys know of any? i have space for one that's about 60cm, thanks. :biggrin:

I'm also in singapore.. which might limit my brand options.

Hi

I need recommendations for oven brands. I’m in need of a new wall oven. My old oven, an ariston, is now dying and I require a replacement. I’m eyeing a Miele but its price is rather .. on the steep end. Do you guys know of any? i have space for one that's about 60cm, thanks.  :biggrin:

I'm also in singapore.. which might limit my brand options.

I finally broke down and bought Miele ovens and after a short honeymoon period, I have NOT been happy with them.

The self-cleaning feature is the worst of any oven that I have owned.

The broiler in the top oven works only when it's in the mood.

Periodically, the computer keyboard breaks down, in which case the stupid thing just beeps and beeps until I either the repairman gets there or I pull it out of the wall. Also the built-in temperature probe is totally off . . . .

I also have the Miele built in microwave/combo oven and I have had similar problems with that. My DH broke the glass microwave tray and Miele charged $225 to replace it . . . .

On the plus side, the built-in rotisserie in the wall oven is a nice feature and works well as long as you don't put more than 4.5 lbs of food on either rotisserie rod.

Form over function, that's my opinion of Miele.

I don't know if you can get Kitchenaid in Singapore but I have had 3 sets of Kitchenaid wall ovens over the years, and never had a bit of problem with any of them. I wish I could trade my Miele ovens for my old KA.

Good luck to you - don't be swayed by the good looks of the Miele products and the hype. The emperor has no clothes!

there was a Miele wall oven in our house when we bought it. I couldn't rip it out of the wall fast enough. It seriously sucked as an oven.

I've had two kitchenaid wall ovens and loved them both. I have a Dacor now, but I don't really think for the price they are any better than the KA. I have Kenmore Elite at the cottage and it works very well. I have the model with the small oven on top and a regular sized oven below. The small oven comes in quite handy.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm looking at 24 inch ranges right now and looking for recommendations. I rent my apartment and my landlord will be paying the freight (or at least as much of it as I can convince him to cover), so aga/viking/wolf/blue star, etc. are probably out of the question. Anyone know anything about 24 inch ranges between say $800 and $2000?

Your advice is much appreciated.