• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Every Day with Rachael Ray

Basilgirl

Rachael Ray will be the editor in chief of a magazine to come out this summer. Here's a quote from The New York Times:

"Fans of Rachael Ray, take heart. If watching her 27 times a week on one of her three Food Network television shows or reading her 11 cookbooks is not enough, you will soon be able to get another dose from the newsstand.

Ms. Ray has teamed up with Reader's Digest U.S. to publish a food and lifestyle magazine called Every Day with Rachael Ray. Kitty Morgan, the editor of the magazine, said the magazine's style and tone will reflect those of Ms. Ray."

Wonder if she'll pose for the cover ala her spread in FHM :wacko:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

"Fans of Rachael Ray, take heart. If watching her 27 times a week on one of her three Food Network television shows or reading her 11 cookbooks is not enough, you will soon be able to get another dose from the newsstand.

Holy crap. :blink:

I guess that's just what food journalism needs. A hyperactive former cheerleader prone to exclamations like "Yummo!" :blink:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I have a question. I do watch the Food Network quite a bit; but come to think of it, I have rarely made a recipe from any of the shows. A couple of recipes that I have made from a couple of shows weren't all that wonderful, quite frankly.

Has anybody actually cooked from this woman's cookbooks? If so, whaddya think? To me, that's the bottom line. If the recipes are solid, directions clear, and all that, then more power to her.

Is there any such thing as oversaturating a market? If so, Ms. Ray is headed there fast.

Ever since Rosie magazine went out of circulation there's been a literary void in my bathroom reading. I trust Rachel will tackle more controversial subjects such as Boeuf Bourguignon in 37 minutes or $40 dollars a week in her magazine that she doesn't have the platform to delve into more deeply on her FTV shows t w e n t y s e v e n t i m e s a w e e k a n d e l e v e n c o o k b o o k s.

Ever since Rosie magazine went out of circulation there's been a literary void in my bathroom reading. I trust Rachel will tackle more controversial subjects such as Boeuf Bourguignon in 37 minutes or $40 dollars a week in her magazine that she doesn't have the platform to delve into more deeply on her FTV shows t w e n t y s e v e n t i m e s a w e e k a n d e l e v e n c o o k b o o k s.

Thanks for my first laugh out loud of the day!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

Oh dear, she's taking over the world. Before you know it, we'll all be marching the goose-step, arms extended, shouting "Yummo!". All humanity will be forced to survive on a food budget of $40 a day. Anyone cooking a meal in over 30 minutes will be executed.

Edited by iheartoffal (log)

Nothing to see here.

At the risk of being pelted with imported edamame or heirloom tomatoes, I'll say that I like RR. Her cooking is a certain kind, admittedly, but there's a place for it in most kitchens. I've made several recipes from the show and they've all turned out well. When I first started watching her, I hated her. It annoyed me that she called olive oil EVOO and her ever-chipper smile rubbed me the wrong way, but I kept watching and grew to like her. She's a real person and dammit, maybe every now and then we need a dose of cheer! The world's too cynical as it is.

Ahem. All finished. Pelt away.

Personally, I don't dislike her, either. She seems genuine and appears to have a good working knowledge of what she's doing. I think to most people (including myself) she just represents the shift in target-audience of the Food Network and the "dumbing down" of most of their programming. I mean, it's not her fault. She's comfortable in front of the camera, easy on the eyes, and can cook pretty well to boot. Of course they're going to put her front and center.

Edited by iheartoffal (log)

Nothing to see here.

love her enthusiasm or hate it, she can talk and cook at the same time like nobody i've ever seen. and she's selling more cookbooks than anyone else. i think her mag will fill the void between gourmet/bon app and martha stewart living.

I'm looking forward to two sections in her magazine. The "hmm what is that?" section, and every week it'll be the same thing - nutmeg. The second section I'm looking forward to is the "herbs and spices to smell from the palm of your hand" section. I hate when she does that, especially with cumin. It smells like BO lady, get over it!

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Oh dear, she's taking over the world.  Before you know it, we'll all be marching the goose-step, arms extended, shouting "Yummo!".  All humanity will be forced to survive on a food budget of $40 a day.  Anyone cooking a meal in over 30 minutes will be executed.

HAHAHAHA!!! I hate hate hate "YUMMO"!!! Everytime I hear her say that, I get annoyed all over again and change the channel! I'm glad that someone else has noticed how incredibly annoying "yummo" is!

OK everyone, we're going to start the "Carry as much crap from the refrigerator and pantry as we can" Contest! Let's go!!! I do like RR some (I used to like her more but face it...we can only take so much of this giggle thing) and I have made some of her recipes, they've turned out well. Mind you- I've only tried the ones that suit my tastes, some of her stuff looks awful! When I watch her I say..."Hey, I could do that!" Not meaning cook, because I already knew that...I mean stand in front of a stove and chatter away like my best friend was there and I couldn't shut up to save my life.

Now, what the world really needs is Betty Crock-o-Shit, oh, um I mean Sandra Lee to get HER own magazine too! 101 ways to use Cool Whip and Velveeta!

The thing to do is play the Rachel Ray Drinking Game! Any time she calls out one of the numerous phrases we have identified as overdone and oft-repeated, you drink!

Hey, it would certainly dull the pain somewhat. And if you include all the wild hand gestures she makes, you'd be a happy camper by the third commercial break. :wink:

Angela

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

I have a question.  I do watch the Food Network quite a bit; but come to think of it, I have rarely made a recipe from any of the shows.  A couple of recipes that I have made from a couple of shows weren't all that wonderful, quite frankly.

Has anybody actually cooked from this woman's cookbooks?  If so, whaddya think?  To me, that's the bottom line.  If the recipes are solid, directions clear, and all that, then more power to her.

Is there any such thing as oversaturating a market?  If so, Ms. Ray is headed there fast.

I make lots of stuff using recipes from the Food Network web site. And most are really good. I think the key might be figuring out what you want to cook - then searching through all the recipes for that dish - and picking out the one that looks best - and also has decent ratings. That's how I do it - and it seems to work (last recipe I cooked was shrimp and grits - and the particular recipe I used - one out of perhaps 15 or 20 - was excellent). Robyn

I am sooo excited about this!

I can’t wait to fill my shelves with month after month of exciting lifestyle tips from Rachel Ray. This magazine will fit right in with my other subscriptions. I’ll read it right after Hustler and Swank, but right before my NAMBLA newsletter and Oprah (I always have to save some erection for Oprah).

I made a lunch time run to Barnes & Noble to pick up a copy of "No Fear Shakespeare - Julius Caeser" for my son. (wish they would have had them back in my day!)

Immediately upon entering the store I was assaulted with hundreds of images of RR. An elaborate display table and tower of all of her cook and tip books. There was even a cartoon RR book for kids. I believe she has reached her saturation point.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

Where's Bourdain? He NEEDS to be on this thread, fast!

:laugh: Ha! Can you imagine if he were a guest on the 30 min. show and she began pressing ingredients into his arms and talking up the "pockets of time" thing?! Kind of like SpongeBob v. Squidward--the death match.

Boy, do I need to cut back on the cable this summer.

I have a question.  I do watch the Food Network quite a bit; but come to think of it, I have rarely made a recipe from any of the shows.  A couple of recipes that I have made from a couple of shows weren't all that wonderful, quite frankly.

Has anybody actually cooked from this woman's cookbooks?  If so, whaddya think?  To me, that's the bottom line.  If the recipes are solid, directions clear, and all that, then more power to her.

Is there any such thing as oversaturating a market?  If so, Ms. Ray is headed there fast.

Of course

How could you not like her recipies.

They are so simple that they will work for you