• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frittata Recipes

love nyc

Hi Everyone,

My first post here and what a great forum btw.

I have never made a frittata but enjoy them while eating out. Can anyone recommend an easy recipe that proves successful every time?

Thanks so much!

Hi Everyone,

My first post here and what a great forum btw.

I have never made a frittata but enjoy them while eating out. Can anyone recommend an easy recipe that proves successful every time?

Thanks so much!

If you can make scrambled eggs, you can likely make a frittata.

GG's recipes look like great starting points, but you can throw in anything you want. Give yourself a break and use a non-stick pan, and don't be afraid to finish it under the broiler, to keep the bottom from overcooking.

Personally, I like to add slices of garlic clove that have been browned in olive oil, along with spinach, potato, whatever onion-y thing is laying around the kitchen and, of course, potatoes. I cook mine in olive oil, instead of butter, with the vague idea that, with the garlic, it makes it more "Mediterranean" tasting. I have no idea if this is so, but it works for me.

I also like to rough chop some canned tomatoes with garlic and salt, as a little garnish on the side.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I'll second the above post-I always finish the frittata in a preheated oven or under the broiler so the bottom doesn't get overcooked.

I don't think I've ever actually used a recipe-I just put cooked (sauteed onions and potatoes, steamed asparagus, etc etc) or raw (tomatoes) vegetables in a non-stick pan, dump beaten seasoned (salt, pepper, fresh herbs) eggs on top, maybe add a little cheese, then cook on the stovetop until the eggs begin to set. Then it goes in the oven to finish.

I say keep it simple.

The best frittata i ever had was just eggs potatoes and onions. The trick was cooking the potatoes and onions in deep olive oil. (this was done in italy where evoo is much cheaper, but it can be reused after the process.) The other thing that I think makes the difference especially on a larger frittata, is continually stirring the egg mixture until it's almost all the way cooked then adding the still hot, pre-cooked veg. Finish in broiler (plan ahead with oven proof pan: cast iron), a little parsley and BAM!

(ew, BAM!)

Snozberry. Who ever heard of a snozberry.

-Veruca Salt

I concur with the above remarks! Several methodological variations seem to work just fine.

We have frittatas all the time -- I do mine in a heavy nonstick pan, and once the eggs begin to set, pop it into the oven at 400 degrees F. or so to finish. I like to saute the vegetables until they're fully cooked (undercooked onions are the WORST) then dump them into a bowl. Seasoned eggs into the pan (no need to clean it out) over medium-low heat, give a gentle stir or two (I don't feel the need to stir continually, by any means) and wait a couple of minutes. Add the vegetables evenly, wait another few minutes, until things are beginning to set up visibly around the edges. Then into the preheated and waiting oven it goes. If I am feeling lazy, though, I will just pour the eggs right over the vegetables without the little shuffle.

Potatoes are excellent, though that is one case where I feel they should be, yes, cooked in plenty of olive oil (mmm) but then put directly into the waiting bowl of eggs. Let them soak up a bit of the egg and pour the whole lot into the pan and proceed.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

I don't think I have ever consulted a recipe for a fritatta. It is my ultimate dumping ground for leftovers and a food resource for a house full of hung over young folks littering my floors in the morning. :biggrin:

One of the best was made with leftover smoked chicken, onion, red bell pepper and Fontina cheese. Or was the best the one with the left over smoked salmon and cubes of cream cheese?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Can anyone recommend an easy recipe that proves successful every time?

My family has been making a Greek Frittata for years. It never fails. I made it for friends one morning for breakfast and now they request all the time as breakfast, brunch and dinner.

Peel and rough slice some potatoes.

Saute them in olive oil in a frying pan.

Add oregano, salt, pepper, garlic and and onion powder. And anything else that you want from the spice cabinet.

When the potatoes are cooked, brown and crispy add crumbled feta and mix with the potatoes.

Add some scrambled eggs to the pan. Move the egg mixture around until it sets.

Here's the tricky part.

Place a large dish over the frying pan and flip the pan quickly. Slide the frittata back into the pan to cook the other side.

Do this over low heat so the middle cooks and the bottom doesn't burn.

If you are lucky enough to have kasseri, kefalotyri, mizthra or manori these also make wonderful frittatas. Kasseri will melt like mozzarella, while feta and the others will maintain their consistency.

• 1 year later...

My family has been making a Greek Frittata for years.  It never fails.  I made it for friends one morning for breakfast and now they request all the time as breakfast, brunch and dinner.

Add oregano, salt, pepper, garlic and and onion powder.  And anything else that you want from the spice cabinet.

When the potatoes are cooked, brown and crispy add crumbled feta and mix with the potatoes.

Add some scrambled eggs to the pan.  Move the egg mixture around until it sets.

Here's the tricky part.

Place a large dish over the frying pan and flip the pan quickly.  Slide the frittata back into the pan to cook the other side.

If you are lucky enough to have kasseri, kefalotyri, mizthra or manori these also make wonderful frittatas.  Kasseri will melt like mozzarella, while feta and the others will maintain their consistency.

My family has been making a Greek Frittata for years.  It never fails.  I made it for friends one morning for breakfast and now they request all the time as breakfast, brunch and dinner.

Add oregano, salt, pepper, garlic and and onion powder.  And anything else that you want from the spice cabinet.

Add some scrambled eggs to the pan.  Move the egg mixture around until it sets.

Here's the tricky part.

Place a large dish over the frying pan and flip the pan quickly.  Slide the frittata back into the pan to cook the other side.

If you are lucky enough to have kasseri, kefalotyri, mizthra or manori these also make wonderful frittatas.  Kasseri will melt like mozzarella, while feta and the others will maintain their consistency.

I am looking for a fantastic frittata or strata recipe for a 4 person brunch on Sunday. I will be serving grilled bacon, bagels, scallion cream cheeese, fruit salad, mimosas and bloodies on the side.

Give me a good recpe to go along with these items.

TIA!