• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot weather coffee house fair.

CanadianBakin'

Since the coffee house I work for only opened December 2004 we have never been through a summer yet but I imagine our baked goods are going to need revamping. What do you find sells best or what do you like best (besides icecream) during the hot months?

At the moment we only sell sweets. The closest we get to savory is a cheese scone. Our clientel is not too adventuresome. The owner makes pizelles and I think those will be a hit. We have limited space for refrigerated displays so most of what we have will have to be ok at room temp. and the shop is air-conditioned. Just to give you a feel for what our clientel likes, our most popular items over the cold months have been cinnamon smear, lemon cranberry and cheese scones; banana & banana chocolate chip bread & lemon pound cake; healthier muffins and rocky road brownies. I just think that some of these items will be too heavy when it's hot or do people like to stick with what they like regardless of the weather? Any ideas?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I like more fruity things in the summer, but especially citrus and berry. And I get my drinks iced.

But, at a coffeehouse, I mostly tend to get the same type of baked goods, especially if it is airconditioned.

Misa

Sweet Misa

I know your clientele is not too adventurous, but how about something like a Japanese souffle cheesecake? Very light and not at all "dense" like most cheesecakes. I have a link somewhere if you're interested.

Mousse-based desserts would be my choice during the summer. Or how about panna cotta?

OOPS: I reread your post and realized that you have limited refrigerated space. As far as baked goods go, I think the idea of using more (seasonal) fruits such as berries is a good one.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I second the pretty fruit tarts please . It seems to me that many people do tend to eat lighter in the summer. Where I live (Vermont) people are into buying local, seasonal produce so the types of foods consumed does change with the seasons; we eat more fruit and variety of veggies during the summer season. I sell outside during the summer at the farmer's market and the pastries made with fresh, local produce always sell first. Fresh fruit on baked tarts (like a raspberry frangipane tart), pretty baked fruit tarts and rustic tarts sell very well. These are all items that do not require continual refrigeration. During the summer citrus, too, is a big hit and I might add that chocolate is always in demand.

Farmer's market begins next weekend, I'm excited and playing with/planning my selection!

Patricia

Thanks for the ideas! More are always welcome.

I like the fruit tart idea. They take a bit of time to make but the costs are so minimal that it would balance out. If they didn't sell in a day would it be ok to refrigerate overnight and put them out again the next?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

If they didn't sell in a day would it be ok to refrigerate overnight and put them out again the next?

A qualifying Yes. The life of a tart depends on the individual tart and its components. Many tarts will last longer than one day and I would just check the crust, filling, whatever its made of and be certain that it is still in good standing. I've revitalized tarts that are tending toward sogginess by popping them in the oven to recrisp and if you use glaze on any of the fruit you can reglaze to refresh their appearance. I do not recommend serving fresh fruit tarts with pastry cream beyond one day however.

good luck,

Patricia

Galettes are easy & last a few days. Also why not add some more exotic fruit to your muffins & breads? Mango muffins, passionfuit bread instead of lemon..etc. I used to work at a place with extrememly limited fridge space & would make mini pineapple upside down cakes in muffin tins. Also substitute the pineapple with mango & blackberries or peaches.

As for fuit tarts I usually stay away from the pastry cream type because they don't last very long. Try a good stiff lemon curd or passionfruit curd..maybe even some key lime curd topped with tropical fruit. Or a brown butter custard is always trusty. It bakes very dense and you can just replace the fruit and not worry about if the filling is too mushy.

I would take advantage of all the fresh fruit that will be available around Mission in the summer months. All the blueberries, rasberries, strawberries....Maybe some crumbly-bar-type thing. Muffins made with fresh berries. One of my faves is made at Bean around the World in the summer; Rasberry and white chocolate oatmeal.