• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Khare Masale Ke Chaawal

Khare Masale Ke Chaawal, that's what he said.

Over in Cooking's Peppercorn topic, I described a delicious Pakistani dish of rice and meat with whole spices, and Suvir recognized it, and well, now I'm wondering if you could, Suvir, outline a method of preparation.

Could you also briefly, if possible, tell what sort of menu this dish would be a part of, or what it is classically served with?  I imagine it's sometimes made without meat?  And different kinds of meat?

Priscilla

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Priscilla,

In India, each area or home could have their own name for this rice.  In my family we call it Khare Masale Ke Chaawal (Rice with whole spices).  Some call it Patiala Waale Chaawal.  The Punjabis more than anyone else use whole spices more generously and leave them in the prepared dish.  In Lucknow, similar rice Pilafs are made but the whole spices are removed after they have been infused into the oil, or simply tied into a muslin bag that is fried longer than the spices would be open.  The bag is later removed.

This rice dish is very versatile and easy to make.  It goes well with most Indian meals.  In fact meats and veggies both go well with it.  It makes a dinner of simple daal (lentils) and a sabzi (vegetable) become a "fancy" meal.

2 medium red onions

2 garlic cloves, ground into a paste with 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds

1/4 cup canola oil plus about 1 cup for deep frying the onion

1 teaspoon cumin seeds

8 green cardamom pods

2 1/2 to 3 inches cinnamon stick, broken in half

1/4 teaspoon whole cloves

1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns, more if you like spicy

1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds

3 bay leaves

3 whole dried red chilies

11/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste

2 cups basmati rice, soaked in 4 cups water for 20 minutes, drained and water reserved

1. Slice one onion into very thin slices and set aside.

2. Mince the other onion finely and set aside.

3. Heat the 1 cup oil (about 1/2 inch deep) in a small (about 6 inches in diameter), heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat to 350? F.  Add the sliced onions and deep-fry them, stirring often, until they turn dark brown, 15 to 20 minutes.  Drain them on paper towels and then stand until cool and crisp.  Set aside to use later as garnish. Discard the oil.

4. Preheat the oven to 300?F.

5. Combine the oil, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, coriander, bay leaves and chilies in a large casserole over medium-high heat.  Cook, stirring, until the cinnamon unfurls, about 1 minute.

6. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 5 minutes.  If the onions begin to stick, add water, about a tablespoon at a time, and stir.

7. Add the garlic paste and cook, stirring, to remove the raw flavor, about 30-45 seconds.

8. Then add the rice and cook, stirring, 1 minute.  Add the reserved water and salt and bring to a boil. Stir once or twice during this time to keep the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.  Then turn the heat down too medium, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 10 minutes.  Turn off the flame.

9. Put the pan in the oven and bake 10 minutes.  Let rest 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the fried onions and serve hot.

Thank you so much Suvir!  I lack only the green cardamom at the moment and then I am so there with this dish.  I can just taste it reading the recipe.

Priscilla

Priscilla

I like the idea of removing the "nonedible" spices like cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and bay leaves.  Otherwise it seems that one would be constantly checking each bite for fear of getting zapped by one.  Maybe I would try to bag the others in kind of a mirepoix, but maybe leave the peppercorns and possibly the chiles.

Suvir, I prepared this rice last evening.  Due to your wonderfully detailed instructions, I believe, it was so good!  I used green cardamom pods.  Everyone at table loved it.

Interesting how the cinnamon, just the one stick, ended up as the highest aromatic in the flavor profile, sweet and delicious.  I wouldn't have guessed that in advance, and I am persnickety about the harshness cinnamon can impart to dishes, but this gave me new appreciation for its use.

Thank you again for the recipe!

Priscilla

Priscilla