• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dim Sum in Atlanta

Singapore

Hi Folks!

I recently took a group of my co-workers to Atlanta for dim sum and a tour of several farmer's markets. We went to Royal China in Chamblee and had an excellent time. I know that Canton House also serves Dim Sum (am I the only one that notices their proximity to the Center for Disease Control?). :blink:

Have you been to any other good Dim Sum places in Atlanta? How was it, and how varied were the selections? Please indicate if it's served from steam carts roaming the serving floor, or off of a menu (I gotta have the carts or it's just not authentic to me...)

Thanks!

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

Dim sum is mostly a weekend thing in Atlanta, and just about anywhere that serves it does it cart-style here.

Happy Valley in the Plaza Fiesta (or is that Fiesta Plaza? whatever, the one that has or used to have a Burlington Coat Factory) does very good business on weekends. Right next door to Atlanta Farmers Market.

My most recent dim sum in Atlanta was at First China. Overall very good. Right next door to Mozart Bakery, so additional draw there as well.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Have you been to any other good Dim Sum places in Atlanta?  How was it, and how varied were the selections?  Please indicate if it's served from steam carts roaming the serving floor, or off of a menu (I gotta have the carts or it's just not authentic to me...)

Thanks!

To me, the very best of the best is Oriental Pearl.. on a Sunday, of course .. lots of steam carts with delicious dim sum ... I went there last fall and was bowled over by the variety and quality ... big parking lot which is always filled to the max on weekends ... many of the guests were oriental and they seemed quite pleased with the offerings and prices. :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Oriental Pearl recently closed (or in the process of closing).

That is very bad news :angry: ... will have to rethink my dim sum priorities ... :hmmm:

Does anyone know anything about a new dim sum place next to Ricesticks (Sandy Springs) anyone? :rolleyes:

Oriental Pearl recently closed (or in the process of closing).

That is very bad news :angry: ... will have to rethink my dim sum priorities ... :hmmm:

Does anyone know anything about a new dim sum place next to Ricesticks (Sandy Springs) anyone? :rolleyes:

Yes. Can't recall the name offhand though. The restaurant is small, quiet with good, though the selection is quite limited, dim sum. If you're already in the neighborhood on a Sunday morning, have limited time and crave dim sum then, by all means, drop in.

Jay

Jay

You are what you eat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I tried Happy Valley about 5 years ago and it was just awful. I swore I would never go back. However, I guess I just ate my words. We decided to go the other day because we are constantly searching for variety in our dim-sum routine. I am so glad we did. There were only two us so we didn't get to try as much as I would have liked. But, everything was great. All of our items were steaming hot and fresh. They had an amazing array of dim-sum items on the carts and also brought around many dishes (clams, veggies, noodles, etc.) on trays. I think that they hired one of the chefs from the Oriental Pearl. We ordered the Salt and Pepper squid, sticky rice in lotus leaf, siu mai, shark fin dumplings, Cantonese noodles, and chicken feet. All of the items were delicious. The squid was tender and crispy. I couldn't stop eating the fried jalapenos that came with the dish. The chicken feet were very meaty and the sauce was good. The noodles (I have a weakness for these) were not too oily and perfectly seasoned. The desserts looked especially good but we were too full to continue. The service was exceptional and we found ourselves bombarded with numerous servers who were all very gracious and fluent in English (something you don't always find at some dim-sum places). The owner was wonderful and anxious to tell us how she got into the business. We asked if she ever had curry squid on the menu and she said she'd be adding it soon and took our number to call us when it would be back on the menu. You can't ask for better service than that! I will definitely be returning soon and suggest you pay a visit as well.

After Oriental Pearl closed, I went back again to Happy Valley as well and was quite pleased with the new items being offered ... everything was kept piping hot and was quite delightful .. recently, however, I did happen to try Hong Kong Harbor on Cheshire Bridge and was very pleased with the selections and the service there as well ... it has been in the metro Atlanta area for a long time. And then the reopening of Canton House on Buford Highway has proven to be more than a little pleasing ... for a city of this size, I still wish there were many more options for dim sum however... and I still miss Oriental Pearl's shrimp dishes ...

Hong Kong Harbor review

After Oriental Pearl closed, I went back again to Happy Valley as well and was quite pleased with the new items being offered ... everything was kept piping hot and was quite delightful .. recently, however, I did happen to try Hong Kong Harbor on Cheshire Bridge and was very pleased with the selections and the service there as well ... it has been in the metro Atlanta area for a long time. And then the reopening of Canton House on Buford Highway has proven to be more than a little pleasing ... for a city of this size, I still wish there were many more options for dim sum however... and I still miss Oriental Pearl's shrimp dishes ...

Hong Kong Harbor review

Canton House has several sanitation issues and their renovation has not done much for the place. I found worms in my dish last time I was there. They even charged me for it. I wont be going back. HKH is really not very good at all either. Their selection is mediocre and I've had two friends walk away with food poisoning. Royal China and Happy Valley are really the only good options. Many people like China Delight but I've found their dishes to be flavorless and left to sit too long. Happy Valley is my top Atlanta pick for now. It comes closest to the food I got used to while living in San Francisco.

Edited by The Blissful Glutton (log)