• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas 1015 Onions

fifi

The 1015 sweet onions are showing up in our markets. This always speaks to me of warming weather and a good cold beer.

Now, we all know that cooking with the various sweet onions is a waste of sweet onions. We do know that, don't we? Sweet onions are meant to be eaten raw. Of course, you think of salad as a natural. But my favorite way to enjoy these beauties is in an onion sandwich. Stay with me here:

1) Get a couple of slices of a really good white bread. A soft verson is best.

2) Liberally spread with a good mayonaise. Many afficiandos use their homemade. I generally wimp out and use Hellman's Mayonesa (made with lime juice).

3) Pile on very thinly sliced sweet onion. Salt and pepper, be generous with the pepper. I have been know to use Jane's Crazy Salt for a nice variation.

4) Eat with a nice crisp cold lager, or two.

5) Nap! There is some mysterious chemistry in a pile of raw onion and cold beer that is nap inducing. A hammock is optional.

The other thing I do with these is start again with the thinly sliced onion. Spritz generously with fresh lime juice. Add salt and pepper and let it sit in the fridge for a while. I heap this stuff on all sorts of things . . . salads, tacos, as a condiment with quesadillas. (I have done this for years using red onion but the 1015s give it a nice twist.)

Most of my uses of these beauties really keep it simple and take advantage of the raw goodness. Any other ideas?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

YUM!!

Try This: Get the best ripe tomatoes you can find. At this time of year, your best bet is on the vine hothouse tomatoes. Alternate and overlap slices of tomato with slices of onion. I like to make overlaping concentric rings on a plate. Sprinkle with sea salt and lots of fresh ground black pepper. Drizzle with some good olive oil and enjoy with your favorite bread. A nice home baked baguette is ideal. Be sure to soak up the juices and oil with the bread.

For a nice variation, scatter with some capers or anchovy filets.

Eliahu Yeshua

Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good.

- Alice May Brock

Fifi; perhaps this isn't what you're looking for, but I've got a killer recipe for Vidalia onion soup that I'm sure would be excellent made with the 1015s. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll either PM it to you or post it if you like.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

If it is your recipe there aren't any copyright issues, please enter it into RecipeGullet and put a link here. I would think that the different varieties of sweet onions are probably interchangeable.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

throw one of those 1015s in your foodprocessor, pulse with a couple of jalapenoes, add to chopped tomatoes (your garden toms and chilies are the best, of course :wink: ), lime juice, minced garlic and kosher or sea salt, toss liberally with fresh cilantro. fridge it for a hour and you've got a hot, sweet, sour and salty table salsa aka pico de gallo. not revolutionary but the 1015s really add a nice touch.

did this a couple nights ago... marinate thinly sliced 1015s with lime juice, a sprinkle of kosher or sea salt and a dash of tabasco while your shrimp are marinating to go on the grill (or in the boil pot). then toss the onions with the cooked shrimp to serve. nice combo. finger licking allowed. :biggrin:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

. . . . .

did this a couple nights ago... marinate thinly sliced 1015s with lime juice, a sprinkle of kosher or sea salt and a dash of tabasco while your shrimp are marinating to go on the grill (or in the boil pot). then toss the onions with the cooked shrimp to serve. nice combo. finger licking allowed.  :biggrin:

My, my that sounds good. It sounds like one of those deceptively simple recipes that is so much more than the sum of its parts. I think shrimp season is about to open. I often marinate onions (red or 1015s) in lime juice, s&p but I have never thought of adding Tabasco. Hmmm . . . Maybe sriracha would be good as well.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I really have no single favorite preparation for those. I usually never cook them but like fifi mentioned try and keep them raw. I love a thick crunchy slice in a burger, as well as the crunch and sweetness they add to a salsa. I'll have to try tossing them with Tabsco though, that sounds pretty good.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Unbelievable on a Mexican taco. A double layer of corn tortilla, some grilled and diced steak, chopped sweet onions (1015's or otherwise), chopped fresh cilantro, and lime juice. Unbeatable flavor!

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

. . . . .

did this a couple nights ago... marinate thinly sliced 1015s with lime juice, a sprinkle of kosher or sea salt and a dash of tabasco while your shrimp are marinating to go on the grill (or in the boil pot). then toss the onions with the cooked shrimp to serve. nice combo. finger licking allowed.  :biggrin:

My, my that sounds good. It sounds like one of those deceptively simple recipes that is so much more than the sum of its parts. I think shrimp season is about to open. I often marinate onions (red or 1015s) in lime juice, s&p but I have never thought of adding Tabasco. Hmmm . . . Maybe sriracha would be good as well.

fifi, i betcha sriracha would be good too. have to try that also. since i grow and make our own c&j's tabasco sauce i grab that on a regular basis for a little kick. but the sriracha is always in the pantry too.

thinking about making salmon croquettes tonight, and thinking that marinated 1015 and tomato slices on greens with a light bit of fennel leaf to top would make a nice side. although wish i had some cabbage for slaw....

1015s are killer in creamy slaw with raisins, almonds or other nuts, and a bit of curry in the dressing. that would be perfect with the croquettes.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I am from Atlanta, born and reared. While I miss my Vidalias, I will concede that 1015s are an acceptable substitute. :raz:

I like to use them in a simple cucumber salad. Peel, seed, and slice paper thin a cucumber or two. Thinly slice half a 1015 (or Vidalia. Sigh.) and toss together. Add white vinegar, rice vinegar, kosher salt and pepper to taste. Chill in fridge for an hour or two and serve with burgers or barbecue chicken.

Edited by RebeccaT (log)

OMG . . . I forgot about the cucumber onion salad combination. I have some Mexican crema that will serve quite nicely. Cucumber, onion, sour cream and maybe a little dill is divine. Or, I have been known to use cumin instead of dill.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

• 2 weeks later...

gallery_5404_94_139874.jpg

I had sweet 1015 onions for dinner recently. The recipe is a side dish from one of Jamie Oliver’s books, but I made it the main course. Basically, you peel the onion and boil it till it is soft but still firm in the center. Then you core it, chop up the core and saute with butter and herbs and cream. Put that mixture back in the onion, wrap the whole thing with a thin (note the one in the picture is a thick slice so it did not wrap very well) slice of bacon and roast in a hot oven. These are very good!

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog